R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Do you feel unique?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012 | 06:48 PM
ny_yankee
|
4th Gear
Do you feel unique?

I was always into the "rare" or "limited" or "unique" cars in my life. I've had the so called Smokey & the Bandit Trans Am, a 1980 Indy Pace Car Turbo Trans Am, 1993 Cobra, 1988 T-Top GT Mustang (which is actually rare) and currently 1 of 64 Blue Shelby GT500KR's (King of the Road) I'm not saying that the cooper is rare but I feel that now that I am very interested in the Roadster and doing my research that the Mini "family" is a kinda a rare breed especially here in the U.S. I feel that these cars are "unique" and being an owner of one gives you that special feeling. For god's sake I haven't even test drove one yet but it's in my blood now and can't wait for the Roadster to hit my dealer. I remember waiting for 2 yrs. for the Dodge Caliber SRT4 to hit the market (and I knew more than the dealers did about that car especially the seats but that's a different story) and feeling excited about that one but I'm pumped about this one. Also being a Jeep wrangler owner and not knowing about this "Jeep thing" whenever anyone passes with a wrangler they wave. A little annoying at times but they do. But I always liked the oohing & Ahhing over my rides!

So what I'm wondering is if the current Mini owners kinda feel "special" or "unique" when driving there cars. And do they receive these accolades.

Now that has nothing to do with me purchasing this car and I don't need that for my manhood. But even going to the dealer and seeing these cars on the floor the other day I felt that this line of cars had a special uniqueness that no other line I've experienced had. I think because the cars were almost all the same but different and felt a theme park feel when I was there. I spent almost 2 hrs in there looking at all of them and sitting in them and loved all of them and didn't want to leave.

It's like going to the Ford dealer and seeing nothing but Mustangs. Shelby's, Mach 1's, Cobra's, Boss 302's, Fastbacks...etc........You know what I mean?
I'm just rambling here and felt it was a good thought to chew on. I would love to feel how real owners feel. Especially before I order my new Roadster soon!

Old 02-10-2012 | 11:50 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Yes. I have yet to see another R58 on the road...

Old 02-11-2012 | 12:32 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Most MINIs are unique because there are so many choices when you "build your own". I am fortunate that I have a Space Blue with Pure Silver 2006 MCS. This color combination was only available for the 2006 model year, it is also the only year that they offered a silver "V" shaped bonnet stripe. With the factory selection of wheels, not even including the aftermarket offerings, it is unlikely that you would ever see another MINI just like yours.

If you want to feel a unigueness peculiar to MINI ownership make sure that you take the time to "build your own" rather than buying off the dealers lot. Some of the dealers are not very imaginative. They certainly don't know exactly what you want.

Happy motoring! Save the Wave.

Old 02-11-2012 | 12:54 AM
johnf36
4th Gear
The answer is YES! Listen it doesn't matter which Mini you own, from the first Gen Just-A's to the all new Roadster the car gives you that special feeling not matter which one you own. I will tell you right now you have been bitten big time and it is real hard if your a big car guy like it seems you are. These cars have the ability to take on the owners personality more so then any other car on the market.

Here is a few suggestions,
1. Go to Mini USA and find all the dealers that you can drive to and see if they are showing the roadster, your local dealer should be able to tell you were the traveling roadster is located.
2. Find your local Mini Club and go check them out, one thing you will find out is Mini owners have no fear in talking your ear of about their Minis.
3. Minis on the Dragon your lucky to live close enough to check it out.
4. You will be close to the start of something special this year Mini's Take The States check it out .
5. The last thing is there is more to a Mini then just a car and you just scratched the surface

Old 02-11-2012 | 03:47 AM
BillTheCat
4th Gear
Uniqueness is one of the factors that originally drew me to the Classic Minis when I was younger. And that appreciation for the Mini led me to desperately wanting a new MINI in 2002, but I had to wait until 2003 for financial reasons.

Little did I know how strong the MINI community would turn out to be. That's even more unique in my experience. Unlike a lot of brand- or model-specific car clubs, MINI owners tend not to turn meets into male-anatomy-measuring contests. There's a lot more genuine camaraderie, and a FAR more diverse owner base.

Anyhow, here's a fun link... Hagerty has predicted a line-up of "future classics." Guess who made the amended list?

Old 02-11-2012 | 07:04 AM
Island Don
3rd Gear
As was pointed out, since the MINI is so customizable, you actually do have a chance that your car will be unique rather than just rare.

(Unique meaning the only one of its kind. Something is either unique or it isn't, there are no "degrees" of uniqueness. Sorry, one of my language pet peeves. I'll go back to being a car guy now... )

Depending on where you live and what model you get, you will almost certainly feel like you are driving a rare car. One of the things we enjoyed about our early MINIs (~2004-2007) was the questions and comments we got about them.

I'm expecting some of that same vibe with the Roadster - for a while at least!

But regardless of which one you choose, the special feeling of a MINI will be there! They are great cars.

Old 02-11-2012 | 08:40 AM
walk0080
6th Gear
Yep I do too. Especially with the new JCW since I know few people in Canada are willing to spend the $$ for a JCW and also because of the colour combination - I have yet to see a JCW like mine so far.

But I felt that way as well with my previous justa Cooper... In a sea of boring and cheap looking econo boxes the MINI stood out. And of course I knew how much fun it was to drive.

Old 02-11-2012 | 03:20 PM
Fastblue
2nd Gear
All kinds of people seem to notice my Blue/Silver S Coupe.
Used to it though since I owned a Ural for a long time...

Old 02-12-2012 | 09:16 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
My coupe felt unique until I read your post, Fastblue!

Old 02-12-2012 | 06:19 PM
Fastblue
2nd Gear
Mine is checkered black cloth, winter package and VERY dirty right now in Colorado. Must mean I'm drivin it.

Old 02-12-2012 | 06:59 PM
jamesday24
6th Gear
No. But I like that I don't see any other Coupes on the road.

Old 02-12-2012 | 11:10 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
I do feel unique.. Though I've seen 3 other Coupes here in DFW. One is a close friend and 2 others are random spotted ones.

But it has taken me almost 4 months to see those other 3.

Old 02-19-2012 | 06:44 PM
MoxieRocket
2nd Gear
I've just had my Coupe for a week, now. It does feel pretty unique. I'm the only person in Gainesville, FL with a Coupe.

I went to my credit union this Saturday, and three of the workers who saw me drive up came outside with me to take a look at it. I also had a gentleman in a parking lot tell me it was beautiful, then asked me what it was because he hadn't seen a car like it before. I've seen a few of people checking it out whenever I park somewhere.

Other Mini owners in town don't even seem to realize its a Mini. (hmph. :P ) I'm thoroughly enjoying it!