R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Color is Key!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 PM
ny_yankee
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Color is Key!

As probably with all of us, color is everything to me. I personally must have a love affair with the color of my car. Here is my take on the colors of the Roadster.

Black is beautiful on any car but I could never own a black car as it looks great when clean but a trip around the block will show every bit of dust and dirt along with swirl marks from cleaning and that would drive me crazy. I love the white on this but the jury is still out on that. I have always wanted a silver car as it shows the cleanest at all times but this white silver in the natural sunlight did not have that "pop" to me on the reg Mini but I will have to see it on the 59. Blue is my favorite color on a car. As it is dark but yet has that "pop" and richness I am looking for and I have owned a Mustang in dark blue and it was an awesome color. This reef blue with silver stripes looks like the way I am leaning but I have searched the Hampton edition Clubman in this color and pics and videos have done nothing for me as the color looks washed out in all what I have seen. So I just am going to have to see this color in person before I order. The Eclipse Gray is a beautiful color but just not available. What color are you guys leaning towards and why? And if anyone ever gets a real picture of the 59 in Reef please post.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 PM
UNKORDT
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My initial choice was pepper white. Then I saw the JCW coupe at the dealer and white silver. It was in the showroom so I am not sure in natural light. If I am going to spring for metallic paint, I think Galactic grey would be my preference. My wife really wants the eclipse grey but that is not possible.

I would say pepper white or galactic grey with toffee interior.

Back up would be red or white silver

Old 02-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Island Don
3rd Gear
Well, as you can see from my signature we've had several different colored MINIs. The car before the first MINI was a black Z3, and the car after the last MINI (and before our Roadster) is a Pearl White 370Z.

My wife likes MINIs in bright colors, and since this car is "ours" more than the "his/hers" of previous MINIs (she's giving up her beloved convertible MINI, I'm selling my 370Z) we went with Chili Red.

Without her vote, I might have gone more understated with British Racing Green II and a little more chrome. Pepper White was probably #3, but I do like to change colors when I change cars.

Blue would have been a strong contender, but nothing available at the moment in a shade I really liked.

So - Chili Red it is, a classic MINI color we knew we couldn't go wrong with. And, no extra paint charge.

Don

Old 02-17-2012, 06:16 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, can of worms indeed, color choice is likely so personal.

I missed my chance to buy a yellow MINI, woulda been my first choice.

We've had a steady stream of black cars at our house the last few years, have a black Z06 now and black Ninja so that's enough to keep us (mostly my wife) busy keeping black vehicles shiny and dust-free.

I'd built black, grey, and silver MINIs on the configurator, however we'd been cross-shopping Beetle Turbos, and had recently seen Beetles in yellow and "Denim Blue", which is pretty close to that late-60s light blue VW used. I'd always liked it...however, VW won't build you a Beetle Turbo in that color.

I decided to check out MINIs just to cross them off; I drove one at a Saab test drive event (when they were introducing the Saabaru 9-2x) and had "competitive" cars there to compare, but that was 2005, a Justa, and CVT. I wasn't expecting to be impressed, but our extended test drive in a Highclass Grey MCS was a blast! We especially enjoyed this set of cloverleafs (STL alert: Lindbergh @ Olive) that pasted our brains to the left side of our skulls. We walked the lot with the MA after we got back to see what other colors looked like...and they had a Justa and a MCS in Ice Blue. It's that same 60's light blue, and I was hooked. I'm finding "iris blue" in classic Mini's, sorta similar.

So there's another data point. I'm "asking for it", I know. A friggen baby blue MINI? Oh, and beige interior, nice one. How "chick car" can I make this, right? I'll take up cage-fighting or something for balance :-). Still haven't seen one on the road here, although my MA says they've sold a few.

Practical advantages: no cost color; fairly easy to keep clean; stays cool(er) when parked outdoors.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chili Red would be my first choice, but I'm really curious what the Spice Orange looks like in person. Any opinions on that?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:23 AM
ny_yankee
4th Gear
Originally Posted by colea
Chili Red would be my first choice, but I'm really curious what the Spice Orange looks like in person. Any opinions on that?

Went to the daeler today and they had a Roadster there. On the floor is a JCW orange coupe. I must say although I would never purchase that color, in the showroom and I will stress "in the showroom" under fluorescent lighting it looks really nice. They had a reg mini outside in the same color and I hated it. SO go figure.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:25 AM
ny_yankee
4th Gear
Originally Posted by UNKORDT
My initial choice was pepper white. Then I saw the JCW coupe at the dealer and white silver. It was in the showroom so I am not sure in natural light. If I am going to spring for metallic paint, I think Galactic grey would be my preference. My wife really wants the eclipse grey but that is not possible.

I would say pepper white or galactic grey with toffee interior.

Back up would be red or white silver

Galactic Grey is not available. It is Eclipse gray.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 AM
ny_yankee
4th Gear
Today my dealer had this white/Silver Roadster in. It was filthy and in real light just didnt "POP" for me. I put the top up but did not lock it. I sat in it and I loved it. Again, I am stuck on this color thing and it's going to drive me crazy. I saw a reef blue Clubman there and I know now that that color is out. There is just no contrast to the car with the black trim. Mini has some nice colors but just not offered on this Roadster which I dont understand. So now I'm down to White/ Silver, Eclipse gray or Lightning Blue. HELP!!!

Sorry for the dirty lens.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
I've played with every color on the configurator. Right now I am leaning towards Black wiht red stripes and mirror caps. I've had a Chili Red [totaled, see my signature] and my wife has a Pure Red Countryman. The Chrysler Crossfire I bought to replace my totalled MINI is black and I am into black cars right now. Ithink my second choice would be Pepper White with Red Stripes and third would be Chili Red wiht Black stripes.

Interior wise, JCW cloth seats with Piano black dash ad Rooster Red colorline and Chrome trim. The same as my R56 was. I alwasy like the way it looked. I am at least a year a way from ordereing so I've got time to work, and rework my order.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Island Don
3rd Gear
The Lightning Blue pics I've seen looked pretty good. I'd still need to see it in person, judging colors over the interwebs is a mugs game, but it had potential!

Don

Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Island Don
The Lightning Blue pics I've seen looked pretty good. I'd still need to see it in person, judging colors over the interwebs is a mugs game, but it had potential!

Don
Lightning Blue was great looking in person. It has the visual "pop" like Hyper Blue.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Julien321
4th Gear
Lightning Blue is sure "popping". I like Spice Orange but it is more of a Burnt Orange to me. If Spice Orange had the "pop" of Lightning Blue it would be a shoe in.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:11 PM
UNKORDT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ny_yankee
Galactic Grey is not available. It is Eclipse gray.
knew I would do that, whichever dark silver is available

Old 02-17-2012, 06:18 PM
UNKORDT
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Lightning Blue was great looking in person. It has the visual "pop" like Hyper Blue.
nice, might have another color in the race.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM
gds194
4th Gear
OK.... Who remembers the Dodge and Plymouths of the late 60's and 70's? Great colors and great color names!!!
[FONT=arial][FONT=arial]Sublime[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Green Go[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Go Mango[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Banana[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Panther Pink[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Plum Crazy[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Hemi Orange[/FONT]
[FONT=arial][/FONT]
[FONT=arial]I would love to see these colors, it's a fun car and needs FUN colors. If not world wide, at least the US market.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 PM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
Is there a particular interior that you're diggin?
Sometimes I work out from there...

Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gds194
OK.... Who remembers the Dodge and Plymouths of the late 60's and 70's? Great colors and great color names!!!
Sublime
Green Go
Go Mango
Banana
Panther Pink
Plum Crazy
Hemi Orange
I would love to see these colors, it's a fun car and needs FUN colors. If not world wide, at least the US market.
I wish MINI would offer more color options. With half the cars on the road being Silver and most of the rest Red, Black or White would love to see more chooses.

More recently Lotus offered lots of unique colors on the Elise.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:19 AM
ny_yankee
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Julien321
I wish MINI would offer more color options. With half the cars on the road being Silver and most of the rest Red, Black or White would love to see more chooses.

More recently Lotus offered lots of unique colors on the Elise.

I agree, I mean Mini does have some nice color options but not for the roadster. I am stuck. I think I am going to have to go with the nickel and dime Silver white. They have a nicer silver but not available. I need to see the Blue with silver stripes and the JCW package before my order is put in.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 PM
ny_yankee
4th Gear
I'm stuck. It's either Lightning Blue with Silver Stripes or White Silver Black stripes. The blue has the "pop" but the Silver has more contrast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHPZU78urVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZHTS...eature=related

Last edited by ny_yankee; 02-20-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:42 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
I'm stuck. It's either Lightning Blue with Silver Stripes or White Silver Black stripes. The blue has the "pop" but the Silver has more contrast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHPZU78urVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZHTS...eature=related
They're both great looking. I'd go with the White Silver/Black Stripes, I think it will look classic for years. Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Julien321
4th Gear
I'm stuck. It's either Lightning Blue with Silver Stripes or White Silver Black stripes. The blue has the "pop" but the Silver has more contrast....
This is one thing you must "unstick" for yourself.

I would go for the "pop" with silver strips. White Silver does look good but with 1/2 the cars on the road Silver it just has no uniqueness to it.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 AM
ny_yankee
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Julien321
This is one thing you must "unstick" for yourself.

I would go for the "pop" with silver strips. White Silver does look good but with 1/2 the cars on the road Silver it just has no uniqueness to it.
That comment is exactly what I feel and needed to hear. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM
sequin
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SCMountaineer
Is there a particular interior that you're diggin?
Sometimes I work out from there...
That's how I chose the color for my R55 and my soon to arrive R59. I really love the cloth/leather combo seats and I like the leather to be a contrasting color. The only R59 upholstery choice meeting my criteria is the toffee leather/cloth. So, that's what I chose. And then went with Pepper White exterior because I wanted a light color and felt the Pepper White would look best with the brown accents of the interior.

Although now that I see pictures of the Lightning Blue (above), I'm thinking it looks really good too!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sequin
That's how I chose the color for my R55 and my soon to arrive R59. I really love the cloth/leather combo seats and I like the leather to be a contrasting color. The only R59 upholstery choice meeting my criteria is the toffee leather/cloth. So, that's what I chose. And then went with Pepper White exterior because I wanted a light color and felt the Pepper White would look best with the brown accents of the interior.

Although now that I see pictures of the Lightning Blue (above), I'm thinking it looks really good too!
Agreed, that is a great way of doing it, keeps the "whole" car looking complete and well thought out

Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
johnf36
4th Gear
Sorrry but I would go with the reef blue if it was offered in a coupe color or I would have taken Royal Gray like my current Mini but since that isn't on the table it's a mute point. Have you considered the BRG?

NY Yankee something to keep in mind with what ever color you choose is you can have your dealer do after market strips or even some sort of wraps and add it as a dealer options. Some people get hung up on just what the configuration can offer but most Dealerships have a outside vinyl person or they use Mini Motoring Graphics http://www.minimotoringgraphics.com/index.php. Just something to keep in mind , good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: R59 Color is Key!