R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Black Toffee

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 AM
II Kings 9:20
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Nice to hear you got it installed! It's a great mod right...one you feel on the first drive. Did you try the middle setting, or just goo right to the firmest?

-Steven
After talking with a several people at the DIY that have 19 and 22 mm bars, I chose to go directly to the firmest setting. I did not install new (beefed up) end links but I think I will at the next DIY day. That will be a much easier install.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
BlueToy, I just wonder if one could get one of these spoilers unpainted, or even in the Mini colors?

Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hemisedan
BlueToy, I just wonder if one could get one of these spoilers unpainted, or even in the Mini colors?
Hi Hemi, they come in unpainted, but clearcoated carbon fiber. Painting one would be as simple as taking it to your body shop.
This is how it will arrive...which on it's own is a really beautiful piece of work.
Name:  ScreenShot2012-10-24at33026PM.png
Views: 317
Size:  929.2 KB

-Steven

Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
BluToy,

it would be very difficult to paint over such a beautiful piece like you have there. Another question for you though: Does it flip up like the original roadster spoiler does? If so what does that look like?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
BluToy,

it would be very difficult to paint over such a beautiful piece like you have there. Another question for you though: Does it flip up like the original roadster spoiler does? If so what does that look like?
Please see Post #259 earlier in this thread for the answers.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
BluToy,

Agreed, it's a exquisitely beautiful piece of craftsmanship. When I first spoke with the guys at IND, they couldn't say enough about the quality level of the 3D Design products. Painting it was purely an aesthetic consideration...believe me, I spent some time considering wether we would paint or not. I felt leaving it unpainted would simply draw too much attention to it. I was going for a more subtle look.

And yes, it operates the same as the original. It is also a little lighter being made of carbon fiber.
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Please see Post #259 earlier in this thread for the answers.
Thanks Gil

-Steven

Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Just checked out post #259. Those shots REALLY show how thus looks. I think that this'll just have go be my first body mod next year. I like the way it looks both Jo and foe . Although I wish that the spoiler could be made manual.

Bill

Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Just checked out post #259. Those shots REALLY show how thus looks. I think that this'll just have go be my first body mod next year. I like the way it looks both Jo and foe . Although I wish that the spoiler could be made manual.

Bill
Keep me posted Bill, love to see what you do with yours

-Steven

Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
M Performance Shift **** Installed

I got the M Performance shift **** installed this week. This brings more of the Alcantara/Carbon fiber theme to the interior. This turned out to be an expensive mod because you can only buy the **** with a beautifully made alcantara boot attached. Then I deconstructed it, and modified the bottom of the ****. Props to ra2fanatic for showing me this could be done

I had this on my 3 series with a short shifter and loved it. The **** is weighted, so it shifts beautifully. One thing to be aware of, is the orientation slot on the top of the shift shaft is slightly different between Mini and BMW. So, it took a little "twisting" to get it lined up correctly. In the end, it worked fine. I used a small amount of silicone glue inside it to keep it all locked down. I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Here's a look...
Name:  _DSC3921.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  1.02 MB

Name:  _DSC3925.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  3.39 MB

Name:  _DSC3928.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  4.76 MB

-Steven

Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
II Kings 9:20
3rd Gear
Very nice work!

Old 01-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Zulu0001
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Steven,

That sure is one beautiful machine.

Can't wait till spring time when I'll start modding my new Roadster.

I noticed halfway through your thread you installed NM's Hi-Flow Induction Kit. Later you stated that you went back to the stock air system.

Maybe I missed it, why did you go back?

Andy

Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Zulu0001
Hey Steven,

That sure is one beautiful machine.

Can't wait till spring time when I'll start modding my new Roadster.

I noticed halfway through your thread you installed NM's Hi-Flow Induction Kit. Later you stated that you went back to the stock air system.

Maybe I missed it, why did you go back?

Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the compliments. It's been a blast setting it up and getting it dialed in the way I want it. I did run the NM intake for a while. This is what I found, it did make more power, i.e. flow better, but, on hot summer days I felt I was giving up some low end power due to heat sink. At higher rpms, it is really doing it's job, but in traffic, I feel the stock intake with the Alta foam panel does a better job. If I was using the Roadster on the track a lot, I would run the NM. I must say, I have toyed with the idea of running it during the cold weather months

What are the plans for your Roadster?

-Steven

Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Zulu0001
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Steven, very good info...

Come on spring time. that's ok had the top down for over an hour the other day.. snow and yuck today....

Old 01-23-2013, 08:50 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Akrapovic Exhaust

I've spent a fair amount of time researching an exhaust for the Roadster. Turns out that there are not a lot of choices because of clearance on the rear braces. Mind you, there is nothing wrong with the sound characteristics of the stock JCW system and, running a single cat, it already flows pretty well. Still, with wanting to possibly run a Stage 2 AP, and DP, I knew I would need a higher performance exhaust.

The Akrapovic was high on the list of candidates, mainly because all I have read and heard from others describing the build quality and R&D they put into their products. The problem was, Akra doesn't list an exhaust for the Roadster. They list an exhaust for the Coupe, Hardtop and Cabrio. I know for a fact that the Cabrio has similar if not the same bracing as our Roadsters. I went so far as to have my friends at IND call Akra and inquire...response was "the system does not fit the Roadster"...Hmmm

While having service done at my dealer, I asked my mechanic if he knew anyone in the Chicago area that could retrofit an exhaust. He suggested VS Motorsports, they build and sponsor a BMW racing team, and can do almost any work at their facility. Next stop, VS Motorsports, who tell me no problem, they can handle the work. I bite the bullet and order the Akrapovic system and set up an install date with VS. Here's the good news, we drop the old system and begin the install...35 min. later the Akra is on the Roadster and it fits perfectly...no clearance issue, yeah!!!

First impressions. Start it up and the tone is noticeably deeper and more aggressive sounding. It has a very "tuned", refined sound. First drive, from inside the cabin, sounds levels are very similar to the JCW exhaust. Get on it hard and it lets you know it's there. Cruising speeds are nice and tame, this is good, because this is my daily driver and the last thing I wanted was a droning exhaust. I've done that before, and it gets very tiring.
The Akra is 5.1 lbs. lighter, and show a modest gain in Hp and TQ, +1.7 and 2.3 respectively. The TQ increase comes in at 3000 rpm, so it's very usable. Throttle response is also improved, no doubt because of the better flow from the larger diameter design. I really happy with the exhaust as it fits nicely with the build character I wanted for the JCW.

Here's a look...
Name:  _DSC3946.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  4.79 MB

Name:  _DSC3947.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  6.17 MB

Name:  _DSC3945.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  4.78 MB

You get a sense of the build quality looking at the welds...
Name:  _DSC3944.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  5.00 MB

Name:  _DSC3952.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  2.70 MB

Name:  _DSC3979.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  2.91 MB

-Steven

Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's a look...
Your car even looks good underneath!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 AM
nfo
6th Gear
Damn Steven.. Another amazing addition! If you need to make space in the garage, my r59 would appreciate the jcw exhaust.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nfo
Damn Steven.. Another amazing addition! If you need to make space in the garage, my r59 would appreciate the jcw exhaust.
Let's discuss, I'm interested and you're local. Shoot me a PM if you desire.

-Steven

Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the Akrapovic on my R59 along with the downpipe. I love it. To bad we can't get the tips alittle bit further out. At one point I was coping you, now you are coping me. Next step for me is KW coilovers. Will be going with the clubsports.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jkapinos
I have the Akrapovic on my R59 along with the downpipe. I love it. To bad we can't get the tips alittle bit further out. At one point I was coping you, now you are coping me. Next step for me is KW coilovers. Will be going with the clubsports.
Good to hear, are you throwing any codes with the DP? Are you running a tune? I know there is good power to be had with the DP. Which tips are you running?

-Steven

Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good to hear, are you throwing any codes with the DP? Are you running a tune? I know there is good power to be had with the DP. Which tips are you running?

-Steven
I have the Delete-R and it keeps the light off but i get a pending code from time to time. P0420 but it clears in a few miles. Carbon tips and getting a Renntech tune.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jkapinos
I have the Delete-R and it keeps the light off but i get a pending code from time to time. P0420 but it clears in a few miles. Carbon tips and getting a Renntech tune.
Thanks for the info, I'm heading down that path eventually. Post up your thoughts after the Renntech gets installed.

-Steven

Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM
severine68
1st Gear
awesome roadster ! still love it ! you do a great job on it ! Mine is getting coil overs this saturday !

Old 01-23-2013, 12:40 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by severine68
awesome roadster ! still love it ! you do a great job on it ! Mine is getting coil overs this saturday !
Good hearing from you! Which coilovers are you going with? Getting it lowered makes such a difference visually.

-Steven

Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM
severine68
1st Gear
Bilstein B14. the roadster will not be in high heels any longer !

Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by severine68
Bilstein B14. the roadster will not be in high heels any longer !
Yes...good bye 4x4 look

-Steven

Quick Reply: R59 Black Toffee