the all 4 is for the countryman !!!
Yes...totally agree...All4 only

-Steven

Old 01-23-2013, 02:15 PM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Those tips...:drool:

Now I really want to get the Milltek for my Justa...

Old 01-23-2013, 02:23 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GEMSTER
Those tips...:drool:

Now I really want to get the Milltek for my Justa...
Thanks...it adds a nice visual weight to the Roadster.

-Steven

Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 AM
TheZlog
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I was brave enough to lower, but the workers here do not know a damn thing about making a good driveway or filling a pothole. The shorter wheelbase on the mini makes me even more nervous because of the teeter-totter effect lol

Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheZlog
I wish I was brave enough to lower, but the workers here do not know a damn thing about making a good driveway or filling a pothole. The shorter wheelbase on the mini makes me even more nervous because of the teeter-totter effect lol
I'll tell you what, this is the third vehicle I've lowered. The first was BMW 3 series, on Eibach springs, an R52 on KW V2's...went for what I thought looked killer visually. Too low for daily street use, raised it back up a little to where I could drive it without fear(easy to do with coil overs). Now the R59.

I think you should try the NM springs. In my opinion, the 1.2" drop is perfect. Visually, it fixes the 4x4 stock ride height, maintains sufficient travel, and I clear all the speed bumps/humps I have encountered...really clear them! They feel more planted, and corner very flat. It's not a very expensive mod...you could upgrade later to the Koni Yellows. Keep in mind, I'm in the Chicago area, and the roads here are pretty bad.

-Steven

Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Steven, I just leafed through all fourteen pages of your Roadster's upgrades and travels around the country. Fantastic vehicle! My next MINI will be a Roadster; I'm still weighing in on whether it'll be the JCW or S version (obviously $$ being the primary factor) but what the heck, if I'm going to be making payments on a new car again, why not extend them a bit longer for the 208hp? :p
My question is on the top down... how is the dust in the cabin? Does the wind deflector make a difference in reducing the dust or is it strictly to reduce wind turbulence?
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveTinNY
My question is on the top down... how is the dust in the cabin? Does the wind deflector make a difference in reducing the dust or is it strictly to reduce wind turbulence?
Thanks!
Interesting you should ask that, I was just thinking to myself a couple of days ago that my car probably has less dust around inside than any closed-top car I have had at this age. At 9 months old there's almost nothing. I probably have 125 to 150 hours on the Openometer right now (haven't looked in a while) and I think there must be just enough air movement with the deflector up to blow the dust out, without letting too much more blow in. I don't live in a particularly dusty part of the country though, mostly grass and trees and two-lane roads without much open highway driving. The Roadster certainly has less dust in than my wife's Clubman which is a couple of months older. I clean the outside quite a bit but apart from vacuuming the floor I don't remember cleaning the top of the dash, it's hard to get in there.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Thanks, Spiney! Good to read this info... My '05S just seems to love the interior dust attraction. In the summer I always have the sunroof and side windows wide open.
Regardless of dust or lack thereof, I will not let it stop me from motoring in the Roadster.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveTinNY
Steven, I just leafed through all fourteen pages of your Roadster's upgrades and travels around the country. Fantastic vehicle! My next MINI will be a Roadster; I'm still weighing in on whether it'll be the JCW or S version (obviously $$ being the primary factor) but what the heck, if I'm going to be making payments on a new car again, why not extend them a bit longer for the 208hp? :p
Thanks!
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the compliments...it's been nearly as much fun upgrading the performance of the Roadster as it has been driving it. It is without a doubt the most engaging automobile I have ever owned.

If you can swing it, go for the JCW. You will be building on a little more robust platform, engine, transmission, clutch, brakes, etc.. Whichever you choose, you'll have a damn fine car.

In terms of dust in the cabin, I have noticed no real issues with that. On the mountain west trip, we did a lot of top down, some of it dirt roads on the back side of Park City, and the cabin was staying clean. The windscreen does help, it's not perfect though. I suspect it might be it's distance to the windscreen. I've driven other larger european cabrios that seem to have less "swirling" effect in the cabin, but I don't consider the Roadster cabin to be crazy windy of turbulent.

Good luck with the new Roadster...you're going to love it!

-Steven

Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Flippo789
1st Gear
Always inspired by your rides!!!

Hey Steven,

I also just read through all 14 pages of your sweet upgrades and trips. Your roadster looks amazing! I have a Hyper Blue R52 and have always been inspired by your orginal BueToy. I am now starting to look at getting a newer convertible and I was wondering what your thoughts were on the R59 versus a R57? I was originally leaning towards the R57 but after looking at all of your pictures I am torn!!! Are there any things that you miss about the R52 that you wish were in the roadster?

Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Flippo789
Hey Steven,

I also just read through all 14 pages of your sweet upgrades and trips. Your roadster looks amazing! I have a Hyper Blue R52 and have always been inspired by your orginal BueToy. I am now starting to look at getting a newer convertible and I was wondering what your thoughts were on the R59 versus a R57? I was originally leaning towards the R57 but after looking at all of your pictures I am torn!!! Are there any things that you miss about the R52 that you wish were in the roadster?
Thanks Flippo I do miss my R52, the use of the "sunroof", the howl of the supercharger under full song. However, the Roadster betters it in many ways, some of these I covered in the earlier threads. Quickly, here's my thoughts on both machines. The Roadster is a stiffer chassis, with the use of the addition of the bulkhead directly behind the seats. This change is felt immediately. Also, I never really used my rear seats on the Cabrio, but to maybe carry things on, not passengers. I love having a real, usable trunk, one of the big differences between the two. Then there are simply the looks...I find the Roadster stunning, easily the best looking Mini thus far. If you are buying/choosing between a new Cabrio vs. Roadster, mechanically they are the same. Can you live with just two seats, and gain a usable trunk? I hope this helps.

-Steven

Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Steven

Well, I thought I'd let you know that I'm in the first, no make that the middle process of getting into my next Lil Guy. Unfortunately, I can't swing a factory JCW, but am doing the next best thing: Mini S with the JCW packages. Olga insists on an automatic, and that is one of three reasons for the purchase now, instead of next year. Plus, nothing will change until 2017 at the earliest, so why wait.
Also, the trade value on my JCW hatch was pretty good. Never what you want, but it could have been worse. Then again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Lil Guy.

Maria is going to work up some figures tomorrow, I've hot dome from my local dealer, so we'll see where we are. The order will go in on Monday or Tuesday. The, my wait begins AGAIN.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bill, you've been lurking in the R59 forum long enough for us to deduce that you couldn't hold out very much longer...

Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Gil-galad,
Thaniks. Yes, it had to happen, plus I want to get out from under an extremely high monthly payment, which this cut by over $150. Hence, no factory JCW. But, going with the automatic, I think that the S will do just fine.

By the way, who was your salesman that you dealt with? I would like to do the deal with them, but I'm not in love with their, or at least this salesman's way of doing this deal. Way too slow, and almost entirely by email. Email me back directly if you can. hemisedan@yahoo.com

Old 02-07-2013, 06:24 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
Steven

Well, I thought I'd let you know that I'm in the first, no make that the middle process of getting into my next Lil Guy. Unfortunately, I can't swing a factory JCW, but am doing the next best thing: Mini S with the JCW packages. Olga insists on an automatic, and that is one of three reasons for the purchase now, instead of next year. Plus, nothing will change until 2017 at the earliest, so why wait.
Also, the trade value on my JCW hatch was pretty good. Never what you want, but it could have been worse. Then again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Lil Guy.

Maria is going to work up some figures tomorrow, I've hot dome from my local dealer, so we'll see where we are. The order will go in on Monday or Tuesday. The, my wait begins AGAIN.
NICE...sounds like you put together a real nice 'S', looking forward to seeing it. As we discussed before, Maria is great to deal with. Good luck with it all

-Steven

Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Steve, got it ordered, yes thru Maria. She is so terrific, and yes, quite a deal. Did the Pepper White, like I mentioned, but added the auto headlights and cold package. I've really gotten use to the auto headlights on my hatch JCW. I'm happy, the deal couldn't have gone any smoother, although I probably have a local salesman that isn't so pleased. Now the wait begins, although Maria says that it won't be long before it goes into production. Maybe I'll have it by April Fools Day. Who knows.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Steve, got it ordered, yes thru Maria. She is so terrific, and yes, quite a deal. Did the Pepper White, like I mentioned, but added the auto headlights and cold package. I've really gotten use to the auto headlights on my hatch JCW. I'm happy, the deal couldn't have gone any smoother, although I probably have a local salesman that isn't so pleased. Now the wait begins, although Maria says that it won't be long before it goes into production. Maybe I'll have it by April Fools Day. Who knows.
Great, keep us posted.

-Steven

Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Almost one week now. I had forgotten just how frustrating this all can be, and it hasn't even been one week yet. Production set, but no date on start of production. The good thing is that I really don't want it here before April Fools Day anyway. Although I believe that Maria wants it here for end of March delivery. All car sales people live and die by that end of month deliveries. Last time my Lil Guy JCW was delivered on October 30th. Probably bee the same this time too, maybe

Bill

Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Almost one week now. I had forgotten just how frustrating this all can be, and it hasn't even been one week yet. Production set, but no date on start of production. The good thing is that I really don't want it here before April Fools Day anyway. Although I believe that Maria wants it here for end of March delivery. All car sales people live and die by that end of month deliveries. Last time my Lil Guy JCW was delivered on October 30th. Probably bee the same this time too, maybe

Bill
I remember it well...waiting some times many days, watching, checking and seemingly nothing happening. Here's hoping the time passes quickly

-Steven

Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
This forum here seems to have died for a while. Thought I'd wake up you guys. Any more mods Steve? I enjoy reading about your latest changes. I got in on the Helix FMIC, need to get the hot pipe muffler piece. I imagine that is the best time to do that mod is when installing the intercooler. I saw what Kurtster did with his fog lights with Outmotoring LED fog lights. Really interesting. Crazy buying these parts when the car isn't even here, but that's what life in a Mini is all about. Later.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
This forum here seems to have died for a while. Thought I'd wake up you guys. Any more mods Steve? I enjoy reading about your latest changes. I got in on the Helix FMIC, need to get the hot pipe muffler piece. I imagine that is the best time to do that mod is when installing the intercooler. I saw what Kurtster did with his fog lights with Outmotoring LED fog lights. Really interesting. Crazy buying these parts when the car isn't even here, but that's what life in a Mini is all about. Later.
Hi Bill, good hearing from you! I know what you mean, I was stock piling mods before I ever had the Roadster in my possession The Helix FMIC is a great mod, and you are right, do the at least the discharge pipe, you are right there. Take a look at NM, they have worked flawlessly for me.

As for me, these are the next mods: lower camber links (H-Sport), and GP rear diffuser...Name:  MIN-gp_md_zps056e2e7e.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  375.5 KB

Name:  _DSC3983_zps26e10e77.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  2.08 MB

-Steven

Last edited by BlueToy; 02-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:12 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes adding the GP diffuser as well. Also have a M7 splitter. My idea is to run from the splitter to the side under panels and out of the rear diffuser. By the way the M7 splitter seems to be alittle short for our cars. The current JCW front is alittle different then when the splitter was made and looks to not flow into the ends well. But I just got it and really haven't had time to mock it up well, so will be doing that this weekend.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jkapinos
Yes adding the GP diffuser as well. Also have a M7 splitter. My idea is to run from the splitter to the side under panels and out of the rear diffuser. By the way the M7 splitter seems to be alittle short for our cars. The current JCW front is alittle different then when the splitter was made and looks to not flow into the ends well. But I just got it and really haven't had time to mock it up well, so will be doing that this weekend.
Nice, let me know how it goes when you get a chance to fit it.

-Steven

Old 02-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Zulu0001
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Steve,

Great picture of the GP diffuser kit.

That diffuser and your exhaust tips... nice....

I wish it would fit my S rear bumper...

Andy

Quick Reply: R59 Black Toffee