Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zulu0001
Hey Steve,

Great picture of the GP diffuser kit.

That diffuser and your exhaust tips... nice....

I wish it would fit my S rear bumper...

Andy
Thanks Andy I'm hoping it all fits...we'll see.

-Steven

Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM
severine68
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Hi Bill, good hearing from you! I know what you mean, I was stock piling mods before I ever had the Roadster in my possession The Helix FMIC is a great mod, and you are right, do the at least the discharge pipe, you are right there. Take a look at NM, they have worked flawlessly for me.

As for me, these are the next mods: lower camber links (H-Sport), and GP rear diffuser...

-Steven

very nice ! the more I see Roadster with the GP rear diffuser the more I tell myself I need it for mine !

Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by severine68
very nice ! the more I see Roadster with the GP rear diffuser the more I tell myself I need it for mine !
That sounds like you are half way to rationalizing this mod I think it will look great on the Roadster, and if I can fit some underbody panels, I could quite possibly improve the aero

-Steven

Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That sounds like you are half way to rationalizing this mod I think it will look great on the Roadster, and if I can fit some underbody panels, I could quite possibly improve the aero

-Steven
I WILL make the side under panels work!. I'm still looking for a front under panel. If the GP comes with one then that is what I'll get. Otherwise RennTech has one but the picture makes me think it doesn't hug the car well enough and might cause problems for a lowered car. Any one have any other idea's?.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jkapinos
I WILL make the side under panels work!. I'm still looking for a front under panel. If the GP comes with one then that is what I'll get. Otherwise RennTech has one but the picture makes me think it doesn't hug the car well enough and might cause problems for a lowered car. Any one have any other idea's?.
I'm holding out for the GP front under panel. I remember reading that Mini engineers spent a good amount of time on it, not only improving/cleaning up airflow under the car, but it's ability to draw hot air effectively from the engine bay. Hopefully we get that piece from Mini.

Have you ordered the underbody panels yet? I'm curious as to how the braces will interact with the panels. Do we cut the braces into the panels, or space them done for clearance? Thoughts?

-Steven

Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
No I have not received my rear diffusers yet. I will install my front splitter, NM discharge pipe in black, and Helix intercooler this weekend with a bunch of other parts I have. I'll install all my suspension parts and then the under panels as parts come in. I just want the rear diffuser to be functional.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
No I have not received my rear diffusers yet. I will install my front splitter, NM discharge pipe in black, and Helix intercooler this weekend with a bunch of other parts I have. I'll install all my suspension parts and then the under panels as parts come in. I just want the rear diffuser to be functional.
Sounds like a great weekend to me Where will you order the underbody panels from? I agree, it all needs to work together, under panels are going on the Roadster.

-Steven

Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Sounds like a great weekend to me Where will you order the underbody panels from? I agree, it all needs to work together, under panels are going on the Roadster.

-Steven
ECS tuning they where nice enough to supply the part numbers and shipping is only $17.00. I was worried about shipping cost, but I can handle the 17 bucks.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
ECS tuning they where nice enough to supply the part numbers and shipping is only $17.00. I was worried about shipping cost, but I can handle the 17 bucks.
Yeah, I'll probably do the same. Did you order yet?

-Steven

Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Yeah, I'll probably do the same. Did you order yet?

-Steven
No. Need to finish the suspension first then seal it all up. I hate to install stuff and then take it off.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM
dannylo77
1st Gear
Steven,
What would you say are the essential mods for the S Roadster?
I am not interested in gaining power or cornering better as it will be a simple daily driver. I just want to take care of the car properly.
Thanks in advance
Danny

Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
My first roadster mod was the heat shield under the hood scoop. I had it before the car. Then the NM Ti turbo heat shield.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:00 PM
TheZlog
4th Gear
I'm pretty happy with my Mud Flaps. They actually make the car look a bit lower from the back which is always fun.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:57 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dannylo77
Steven,
What would you say are the essential mods for the S Roadster?
I am not interested in gaining power or cornering better as it will be a simple daily driver. I just want to take care of the car properly.
Thanks in advance
Danny
Hey Danny-

I hope this helps...when you start modding, it's important to define why you are doing a mod. My philosophy is to try and not "un-engineer" the car. Engineers spend countless hours working on systems, however, some designs are compromises. Most of the mods I've done were done to improve upon where Mini left off, and they are centered around more power, better response, more neutral handling, think FMIC/plumbing, AP, Short Shift Kit, NM springs/Koni's, Sway Bar, etc..

You state you are not interested in gaining power or cornering better, then just drive it and enjoy it. Check and see if your Mini came with the hood insulation, mine did not. That may be the essential piece to protect your paint. You have the N18 engine, and I am not sure if an Oil Catch Can is even effective. So, given your criteria, maintenance is the key. Change your oil at around the 5k-6k mark. I'm still not convinced running them to 10k on the oil is a good idea. Perhaps just cosmetic mods are where you put your money...done just because you want to. Youiffication

-Steven

Last edited by BlueToy; 02-28-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:10 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
[
You have the N18 engine, and I am not sure if an Oil Catch Can is even effective. So, given your criteria, maintenance is the key. Change your oil at around the 5k-6k mark. I'm still not convinced running them to 10k on the oil is a good idea. Perhaps just cosmetic mods are where you put your money...done just because you want to. Youiffication

Steve,

I don't necessarily disagree with you on this, but BHS does make a N18 specific oil catch can which I have ordered. Granted, it's just extra insurance, but I intend on keeping the Lil Ragtop for a longer time this time around. I'm also going be adding several of what you have mentioned here as recommendations. Did you know that Outmotoring have the black tail light AND headlight rims? Another of my future additions. I prefer black to chrome, except on some things. I've also got a pair of carbon fiber door handles, which I never installed on my r56. I could be talked out of those if anyone wants them.

Bill

Old 03-01-2013, 04:28 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
[
You have the N18 engine, and I am not sure if an Oil Catch Can is even effective. So, given your criteria, maintenance is the key. Change your oil at around the 5k-6k mark. I'm still not convinced running them to 10k on the oil is a good idea. Perhaps just cosmetic mods are where you put your money...done just because you want to. Youiffication

Steve,

I don't necessarily disagree with you on this, but BHS does make a N18 specific oil catch can which I have ordered. Granted, it's just extra insurance, but I intend on keeping the Lil Ragtop for a longer time this time around. I'm also going be adding several of what you have mentioned here as recommendations. Did you know that Outmotoring have the black tail light AND headlight rims? Another of my future additions. I prefer black to chrome, except on some things. I've also got a pair of carbon fiber door handles, which I never installed on my r56. I could be talked out of those if anyone wants them.

Bill
I saw Outmotoring is now carrying the black light trims...good news. I have a pair of OEM headlight trims I can sell someone. With any luck, I'll have the Akrapovic DP installed today.

-Steven

Old 03-01-2013, 06:52 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
I saw Outmotoring is now carrying the black light trims...good news. I have a pair of OEM headlight trims I can sell someone. With any luck, I'll have the Akrapovic DP installed today.

-Steven
The install is pretty easy. Hardest part is getting the screws back on the heat shields. Does the Cobb AP have a Cel delete?.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
[QUOTE=BlueToy;3689262]I saw Outmotoring is now carrying the black light trims...good news. I have a pair of OEM headlight trims I can sell someone. With any luck, I'll have the Akrapovic DP installed today.

-Steven

Have to let me know what happens with this install. What the difference, feel is? Also, the install. I'm leaning more and more towards a complete, turbo back exhaust and would love to do Akrapovic.

Bill

Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
[quote=hemisedan;3689352]

-Steven

Have to let me know what happens with this install. What the difference, feel is? Also, the install. I'm leaning more and more towards a complete, turbo back exhaust and would love to do Akrapovic.

Bill

I installed the Akrapovic DP and exhaust about 7,000 miles ago. It's a 2013 roadster and the exhaust is a simple install, mainly because its oem plus quality. The system itself is great. You get the performance without the fart can noise. If you want performance and great sound that won't get you noticed, this is the system to get.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:45 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Akrapovic Downpipe

It didn't take long after getting the Akrapovic exhaust installed that I knew what my next mod would be...Akra Downpipe. The exhaust was a great upgrade, and I knew it would only get better with the addition of the DP. Like all things Akrapovic, when you see and examine them in person you are impressed by the quality and craftsmanship.

Name:  IMG_3126_zps57deb631.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  1.57 MB

Install is pretty straight forward, it swaps right in place of the stock unit. Fitment was spot on. One thing I did notice was the weight difference between the two, the stock DP is considerable heavier.

Impressions.....start up reveals a turbo that spools up faster, and the exhaust just got a note deeper. The Akra exhaust is not a loud exhaust, it does have a very "tuned" quality to it, and the DP makes it sound even better. Getting the Roadster down off the lift and out on the street reveals more torque down low, a crisper throttle response and a more pronounced Pop/Burble. The freer flowing exhaust had really subdued the Pop/Burble I had with the JCW exhaust, and hearing it come back a little more pronounced sounds good. Next up, running Stage 2 on my AP

-Steven

Last edited by BlueToy; 03-07-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
GP II Rear Diffuser

While I had the access to a lift, and waiting for the DP to cool down, we installed the GP rear diffuser.

Name:  IMG_3122_zps52dcb892.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  3.40 MB

Install is a simple bolt up affair. This fits so well with the rest of the JCW Aero kit...absolutely love it.

Name:  _DSC4029_zps0af7b290.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  2.36 MB

Name:  _DSC4035_zps95ce5b8d.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  4.89 MB

Name:  _DSC4016_zpsad0aaad1.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  3.78 MB

Name:  _DSC3997_zpsee4535dc.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  3.42 MB

Looking forward to getting the Under Body Panels installed soon...

-Steven

Last edited by BlueToy; 03-07-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Steven, the JCW you're building looks great! out of curiosity, what garage are you having the work done at?

Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 PM
II Kings 9:20
3rd Gear
Amazing work Steven. Love your mods and I greatly appreciate your evaluation of the mods.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:29 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Paul
Steven, the JCW you're building looks great! out of curiosity, what garage are you having the work done at?
Thanks Paul,
Most of my shop time is done at A&L/IND. That is if I'm not wrenching in my driveway

Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20
Amazing work Steven. Love your mods and I greatly appreciate your evaluation of the mods.
Thanks David, good hearing from you

-Steven

Old 03-02-2013, 06:33 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
[QUOT

Impressions.....start up reveals a turbo that spools up faster, and the exhaust just got a note deeper. The Akra exhaust is not a loud exhaust, it does have a very "tuned" quality to it, and the DP makes it sound even better. Getting the Roadster down off the lift and out on the street reveals more torque down low, a crisper throttle response and a more pronounced Pop/Burble. The freer flowing exhaust had really subdued the Pop/Burble I had with the JCW exhaust, and hearing it come back a little more pronounced sounds good. Next up, running Stage 2 on my AP

Steven,

Have you had any error cels once you got it up and started with the new DP?
Sounding more and more like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and save a little more for the right exhaust system. Damn I had $2500 on exhaust. But, it sounds and looks like the right setup.
Bill

Quick Reply: R59 Black Toffee