R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Black Toffee

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:58 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Steven,

Wheels look great. I'm going to have my Motegi's powder coated in a gloss black, then put BFGoodrich g-force sport comps on. After looking at different size combinations, I'm going to go a bit taller (from 24.8 to 25.2), the width drops .1", so I'm not concerned with that. The taller tire should do two things, give a better ride as well as fill up the fender well a bit better. I've seen those wheels before, somewhere, and they do look great. Keep it up.

Speaking about wive's and the car packages, right, I get it too. Bill, you don't even have the car yet and we have packages coming with birthday presents for it. She's kind of use to it with the 38's parts, but not much has come for it in the past year, so here it comes for the Raggi.

Bill

Old 03-07-2013, 06:16 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hemisedan
Steven,

Wheels look great. I'm going to have my Motegi's powder coated in a gloss black, then put BFGoodrich g-force sport comps on. After looking at different size combinations, I'm going to go a bit taller (from 24.8 to 25.2), the width drops .1", so I'm not concerned with that. The taller tire should do two things, give a better ride as well as fill up the fender well a bit better. I've seen those wheels before, somewhere, and they do look great. Keep it up.

Speaking about wive's and the car packages, right, I get it too. Bill, you don't even have the car yet and we have packages coming with birthday presents for it. She's kind of use to it with the 38's parts, but not much has come for it in the past year, so here it comes for the Raggi.

Bill
Thanks Bill,

When it came down to it, I didn't find many wheels I liked for the Roadster. The 4x100 pattern is very limiting. I knew I wanted to go 18's, as they work well with the new Mini's wheel wells. I'm going to run 205/40/18. The 8" width is about as big as you can fit in there, and the 205 should help make sure they clear.

Speaking of wives', I really try and support her in her interests and hobbies, hoping she can do the same with mine Are you going to be running lowering springs?

-Steven

Old 03-07-2013, 06:21 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
No lowering springs at this time. Too many other mods first. Plus, I want to see just how this looks with a tire like I want to use. These 205 x 50 x 17 are right at 8.1", vs what I have been using 215 x 45 x 17 are 8.2" in width. Could be interesting. You'll have to tell me more about that rear spoiler that you have, as that is the best looking spoiler that I've ever seen on a Mini.

Bill

Old 03-07-2013, 06:31 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
No lowering springs at this time. Too many other mods first. Plus, I want to see just how this looks with a tire like I want to use. These 205 x 50 x 17 are right at 8.1", vs what I have been using 215 x 45 x 17 are 8.2" in width. Could be interesting. You'll have to tell me more about that rear spoiler that you have, as that is the best looking spoiler that I've ever seen on a Mini.

Bill
That's a good way to go about it...get a feel first What would you like know with regards to the rear spoiler?

-Steven

Old 03-14-2013, 05:25 AM
ABorn
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Working on something new for the Roadster...splitters. I'm doing the first set in aluminum, and then a set in ABS. Toying with the idea of wrapping the ABS pieces in carbon fiber.

These still in the rough stages, also working on what I will use for a fastener system.

-Steven
Any news from your splitters?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
^ Hi ABorn, first post I see...welcome to the forums! I have them finished, fronts and sides as well. I did them in ABS, so I was able to shape them. I'll post pics soon.

-Steven

Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 AM
ABorn
Neutral
Hi Steven,

thanks

you have a beautiful roadster and I love your rear spoiler!!!
But unfortunately not cheap.

Andreas

Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...looking forward to getting the Under Body Panels installed soon...

-Steven
Any more thoughts/action on adapting these panels?

Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Any more thoughts/action on adapting these panels?
Hi Gary-

I have the underbody panels on order...actually backorder. Some day soon I hope, then I'll post a write-up on the install. I also called Aaron at OutMotoring, he is trying to get the front (under motor) cover. That would be great, then we would have complete aero.

Do you have any mods planned for the early spring?

-Steven

Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have any mods planned for the early spring?
-Steven
I'm kicking a few ideas around, though they all seem fairly routine when compared to the standard you've set for us.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
H-Sport Rear Camber Links

I recently installed a set of lower rear camber links, allowing getting the camber dialed in correctly and a new alignment. In hindsight, I should have done these when I did the NM springs. I knew I was right on the threshold of needing them with the lowering springs. Without them I was running too much negative camber.

Name:  _DSC4045_zps73255437.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  9.66 MB

We used the NM "Performance" specs for the alignment...car feels great.
On the rack again...
Name:  _DSC4047_zpsa4e1c29f.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  6.08 MB

Also got the new 18" wheels/summer rubber mounted.

Name:  _DSC4089_zps1fa4780d.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  5.03 MB

More pics to come soon...

-Steven

Old 03-17-2013, 06:36 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Steven,

Well now, don't take this wrong, I'm all for getting ready for Spring, as it comes officially this Wednesday, but you do live in Chicago, where Spring comes whenever it feels like it, usually in mid April, same for here in Iowa. In saying all that crap, now aren't you rushing it? Really like the tires and wheels. I just thought that I'd kind of remind you of this.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Steven,

We painted the plastic dipped side scuttles today. Stripped them, scuffed them up and painted in gloss black and then clear coated them with hardener. I'll take pictures of them tomorrow. We did the same on the Motegi Racing Wheels. The gloss black looks, just so much better than the dull black. Some may like that, and true, it does hide the brake dust better, but I have never had that much of a brake dust problem. Now all we have to do is get the Lil Raggi to Iowa, shucks, how about just to the Baltimore docks. I know, I know, it's getting closer. It should be visable off the Nova Scotia coast tomorrow sometime.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:15 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Steven,

Speaking of Spring, I just got up and looked outside as I let the cats out onto the porch, there's snow EVERYWHERE! I'm sick of Winter.

Bill

Old 03-18-2013, 04:26 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Steven,

Well now, don't take this wrong, I'm all for getting ready for Spring, as it comes officially this Wednesday, but you do live in Chicago, where Spring comes whenever it feels like it, usually in mid April, same for here in Iowa. In saying all that crap, now aren't you rushing it? Really like the tires and wheels. I just thought that I'd kind of remind you of this.
Yeah, it's way early I know. Problem was IND did the powder coating on the wheels, had them mounted, even painted the wheel weights black. How could I resist while I'm there have the camber links installed I've got to take it easy now
Steven,

We painted the plastic dipped side scuttles today. Stripped them, scuffed them up and painted in gloss black and then clear coated them with hardener. I'll take pictures of them tomorrow. We did the same on the Motegi Racing Wheels. The gloss black looks, just so much better than the dull black. Some may like that, and true, it does hide the brake dust better, but I have never had that much of a brake dust problem. Now all we have to do is get the Lil Raggi to Iowa, shucks, how about just to the Baltimore docks. I know, I know, it's getting closer. It should be visable off the Nova Scotia coast tomorrow sometime.
I agree on the wheels, I love the gloss...it gives them another dimension. It won't be long for you now. Tick tok....

-Steven

Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Zulu0001
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hemi... Me too.. I'm sick of freezing my but off....

Steve, well after getting a towel, I got rid of the beard so there is nothing to catch the drool.............

Those wheels look great...

Did you think about de-chroming completely?

You've built one fantastic car, keep the pictures coming..

Andy

Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Zulu0001
Hemi... Me too.. I'm sick of freezing my but off....

Steve, well after getting a towel, I got rid of the beard so there is nothing to catch the drool.............

Those wheels look great...

Did you think about de-chroming completely?

You've built one fantastic car, keep the pictures coming..

Andy
Hi Andy-

Thanks for the nice compliments! I did seriously consider de-chroming. I ordered the black surrounds for the headlights, but strangely it was too much for me...changed them back to chrome. I feel like the chrome provides a good visual balance.

New pics of the wheels coming soon.

-Steven

Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
been out for a while. Great to see the progress.
I've got the GP diffuser on order... Love the look.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:30 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Malcon
been out for a while. Great to see the progress.
I've got the GP diffuser on order... Love the look.
Hey, good hearing from you! Keep me posted on you updates...here or on MU.

-Steven

Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
MAK DTM One Pics

Here's some pics of the new MAK DTM One wheels. These are 18X8 ET40. The 18's suit the Roadster quite well, filling the wheel arches, but not looking too big or overdone. I wrapped them in Michelin Pilot Super Sports. It didn't take more than a few hundred feet of driving to feel the difference between these and the softer Conti DWS's. Steering inputs are much quicker and the feel is an immediate connection with the wheel. The Conti's never felt bad, in fact I am really happy with them. Maybe the best way to relate these two tires would be running in insulated boots versus track shoes...you get the idea I have them on way too early, with the Chicago winter refusing to relent, but I have to say I'm impressed with their wet grip, even far below their recommended operating temperature. Looking forward to exploring the Pilot's level of grip when the weather warms up.

Name:  _DSC4080_zpsc094bde2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  2.61 MB

Name:  _DSC4074_zpsa9c2f450.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  4.37 MB

Name:  _DSC4048_zps23356ee2.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  6.79 MB

Name:  _DSC4091_zps6c3541ca.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  4.87 MB

Name:  _DSC4072_zpse120cbd7.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  4.39 MB

-Steven

Last edited by BlueToy; 03-19-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM
nfo
6th Gear
Amazing job Steven, it looks scary good man.. i gotta check it out one day!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 AM
ChefTyGuy
3rd Gear
That car is SICK!! +1

Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 AM
Mariner
1st Gear
Steven:

You really have done an amazing job with your roadster. It is spectacular and a model for those of us with similar aspirations, but wife restricted funds. Thanks also for the great job you have done documenting your progress. Your posts have helped me figure out more than you can know.

Guy

Old 03-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Zulu0001
3rd Gear
Guy..

+1 YUP!!!!!

Andy

Old 03-19-2013, 06:21 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nfo
Amazing job Steven, it looks scary good man.. i gotta check it out one day!
Thanks nfo...one day Do you do any of the Chicago Mini meets?
Originally Posted by ChefTyGuy
That car is SICK!! +1

Originally Posted by Mariner
Steven:

You really have done an amazing job with your roadster. It is spectacular and a model for those of us with similar aspirations, but wife restricted funds. Thanks also for the great job you have done documenting your progress. Your posts have helped me figure out more than you can know.

Guy
Thanks Guy! One of the things I really love about the forums is the exchange of ideas...it's great. I'm glad to hear it's useful/helpful info.
Originally Posted by Zulu0001
Guy..

+1 YUP!!!!!

Andy
Thanks Andy

-Steven

Quick Reply: R59 Black Toffee