R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Roadster S & JCW Tuning Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadster S & JCW Tuning Kit

Who has done the tuning kit on their "S" Roadster?
And are you pleased with it?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
So did everyone just order the JCW model? Or no one has updated there 'S' ?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Liquid
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry. I guess it all depends on what you want. The biggest thing the JCW Kit has going for it is the factory warranty. If you don't care about that, you can get better performance gains for much cheaper. Still though, not much sounds better than that JCW exhaust :-) Course, I'm partial ;-)

But yeah, I went with an actual JCW model, however with my wife we just got the S and went the aftermarket route.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
Thanks for the reply.
I was wondering if more people were going with after market.
I guess I have more reading to do.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Kristie Macris
Neutral
Mine is set for build Oct 4 and I am doing the JCW Tuning Kit. I didn't like the look of the JCW but wanted the performance...

Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Kristie Macris
Mine is set for build Oct 4 and I am doing the JCW Tuning Kit. I didn't like the look of the JCW but wanted the performance...
Hi Kristie,

Please let me know what you think of the tuning kit.

I'm with you in that I didn't want some of what came with the JCW model and I was happy to see mini offered the tuning kit.

I have been looking at some of the aftermarket options for the N18 but not finding much in the way of tuning unless you send in your ECU, and the numbers are not that impressive compared to keeping warranty and possibly losing the warranty if needed. Also it doesn't look like there is much interest from the vendors at this time.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:15 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Slowride1;3583485]Who has done the tuning kit on their "S" Roadster?

I've been trying to see what are the thoughts of the JCW tuning kit too. While I'm about 16 months from doing anything, I like to investigate things well in advance.

As you can see from my signature, I am an owner of a factory JCW and love the performance, including the brakes. When I configure out a JCW kitted Mini S roadster, It comes up to the $38k category, BEFORE the JCW tuning kit, then add the Brembo Brakes, well you get the picture, you are at the price of the factory JCW Roadster. My budget tops out at $40K, just can't see over that, and I can have either my Mini S with the Recaros, JCW body and Mini Connect, or go with the factory JCW Roadster, regular seats, Mini Connect, oh yes, my wife insists on auto trans. She seems to think that I sneaked the manual past her last time.

Let me tell you, I can't see what there is NOT to like about the factory JCW other than the price. I also think that Mini is about $1500 high on the JCW Roadster, but that's just me. JCW brakes are fantastic, performance is right there, and the mileage is better than sticker too. The Challenge wheels are not my favorite, but there is the after market there, and ditch the run flats. I'm trying to think of any negatives on the factory JCW and having mine for two years, well there aren't any. But, let me know how the JCW tuning kit reacts. I'm told positive things over the Mini S, but I'm probably spoiled by my Lil Guy. Oh yes, absolutely no problems in two years, including no rattles.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
[quote=hemisedan;3606317]
Originally Posted by Slowride1
Who has done the tuning kit on their "S" Roadster?

I've been trying to see what are the thoughts of the JCW tuning kit too. While I'm about 16 months from doing anything, I like to investigate things well in advance.

As you can see from my signature, I am an owner of a factory JCW and love the performance, including the brakes. When I configure out a JCW kitted Mini S roadster, It comes up to the $38k category, BEFORE the JCW tuning kit, then add the Brembo Brakes, well you get the picture, you are at the price of the factory JCW Roadster. My budget tops out at $40K, just can't see over that, and I can have either my Mini S with the Recaros, JCW body and Mini Connect, or go with the factory JCW Roadster, regular seats, Mini Connect, oh yes, my wife insists on auto trans. She seems to think that I sneaked the manual past her last time.

Let me tell you, I can't see what there is NOT to like about the factory JCW other than the price. I also think that Mini is about $1500 high on the JCW Roadster, but that's just me. JCW brakes are fantastic, performance is right there, and the mileage is better than sticker too. The Challenge wheels are not my favorite, but there is the after market there, and ditch the run flats. I'm trying to think of any negatives on the factory JCW and having mine for two years, well there aren't any. But, let me know how the JCW tuning kit reacts. I'm told positive things over the Mini S, but I'm probably spoiled by my Lil Guy. Oh yes, absolutely no problems in two years, including no rattles.
Thanks for the reply. I still haven't decided if I'm going to go with the JCW Tuning kit or hold out for the aftermarket venders to get behind the N18 motor and produce some performance products.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
So I finally figure out that the JCW Tuning kit only gets you 8 yes that is what I said 8 more horse power over the stock "S" motor. I naively assumed (see where that gets you) that you would get the extra 27 hp that the JCW comes with. How disappointing . I know this also includes a new header, exhaust, and BADGES (we don't need no stinkin badges ). But bang for your buck it is not. HUGE profit margin for mini it is.

The only benefit I see with getting this is mini would keep you under warranty.

Now I have read that this tuning kit is great, but that was with the N14 motor so not too sure about the N18. Will have to wait and see.

Had I realized this I would have put a little more thought into getting the JCW model, but it doesn't necessarily mean I would have gone that route.

So come on AFTERMARKET VENDORS!!!!!! Bring on the HP and TQ for the N18!!!!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:52 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been considering the tuning kit for a while, but haven't been able to justify it with other things I have going on in life (which include in large part, the wife's approval of my frivolous spending on my commuter car lol). I have the N14 engine in my 2010 and with the 172 hp being bumped to 189 with the tuning kit, the cost is still hard to justify. From what I've searched around for and read, the wrap seems to be that these figures are conservative, potentially so as to not eat into the factory JCW sales. Also, the n18 engine with variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust side is said to get a higher hp number than the 189 listed on the MINI USA website. I can't confirm that and haven't seen the dyno info to back it up, but it does sound great and is definitely a significant bump from the standard MCS. The only real issue is the cost compared to aftermarket options. I like the idea of keeping the warranty intact though.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:41 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
I did the performance kit on my R56 and was unerwelmed by the difference. It was not what I was expecting. I ended up buying the Access Port and FMIC from Craven a year later. I think they have stopped working on cracking the N18 engine so that route is closed. I will probably stick to my plans of JCW and make other concessions like no Nav/MINI connected [Not impressed with it on my wife's Countryman] and pass on the Recaros [haven't seen if they have the issue with them worked out yet.] Anyway when I spec's out mine I was hittting just shu of 42K. Still may be a tough sell to the wife.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
NJ Mini, Callahan00. Thanks for the comments.

I went ahead and ordered the JCW Tuning kit along with some other goodies this afternoon. My roadster will be at the dealership Monday morning. They will need three days to install all the goodies and since the Not Nor Mal event is next Saturday the 20th, I will wait and pick the roadster up that morning.

I will post pictures when I pick her up.

After I get past the break-in period I will give my thoughts on the JCW Tuning kit.

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Kristie Macris
Neutral
You'll have your roadster before mine even arrives in U.S. Downfall of living on West Coast--it's been on ship forever. Let me know what you think about JCW tuning kit as mine is still scheduled for it.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:57 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride1
NJ Mini, Callahan00. Thanks for the comments.

I went ahead and ordered the JCW Tuning kit along with some other goodies this afternoon. My roadster will be at the dealership Monday morning. They will need three days to install all the goodies and since the Not Nor Mal event is next Saturday the 20th, I will wait and pick the roadster up that morning.

I will post pictures when I pick her up.

After I get past the break-in period I will give my thoughts on the JCW Tuning kit.

Thanks!
Congrats and please let us know your thoughts. My hunch is that you'll like the exhaust even more than most as the roadster will obviously have less sound deadening to hinder the sound at WOT. Good luck and please post pics when it arrives!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
I've been considering the tuning kit for a while, but haven't been able to justify it with other things I have going on in life (which include in large part, the wife's approval of my frivolous spending on my commuter car lol). I have the N14 engine in my 2010 and with the 172 hp being bumped to 189 with the tuning kit, the cost is still hard to justify. From what I've searched around for and read, the wrap seems to be that these figures are conservative, potentially so as to not eat into the factory JCW sales. Also, the n18 engine with variable valve timing on the intake and exhaust side is said to get a higher hp number than the 189 listed on the MINI USA website. I can't confirm that and haven't seen the dyno info to back it up, but it does sound great and is definitely a significant bump from the standard MCS. The only real issue is the cost compared to aftermarket options. I like the idea of keeping the warranty intact though.
This is what I have been suspecting all along.

Originally Posted by NJ Mini
Congrats and please let us know your thoughts. My hunch is that you'll like the exhaust even more than most as the roadster will obviously have less sound deadening to hinder the sound at WOT. Good luck and please post pics when it arrives!
I hear that the exhaust gets even better with age .

Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
Forgot to add that if you have the JCW Tuning kit installed at time of purchase then it is covered for 4yrs. If you add it later it is only covered for 1 or 2yrs.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:34 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
N18 with JCW Tuning kit is 197 HP...or it was when I ordered my 2012 MCS.

And still reads 197hp, as of just now, when I checked it again:

The John Cooper Works tuning kit reaches new heights of performance, boosting the Twin Scroll turbocharged engine to 197 hp (SAE). The max. torque is 184 lb-ft from 1750 to 5000 rpm. (With over boost, temporary values of 200 lb-ft are possible from 1800 to 5000 rpm.)

when you read about it on the Hardtop build page.

On the Roadster build page, it still reads 189 hp, and still shows a N14 engine, so it still needs updating.

I thought the kit transforms the car, more torque everywhere and a blast to drive.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ljmattox
N18 with JCW Tuning kit is 197 HP...or it was when I ordered my 2012 MCS.

And still reads 197hp, as of just now, when I checked it again:

The John Cooper Works tuning kit reaches new heights of performance, boosting the Twin Scroll turbocharged engine to 197 hp (SAE). The max. torque is 184 lb-ft from 1750 to 5000 rpm. (With over boost, temporary values of 200 lb-ft are possible from 1800 to 5000 rpm.)

when you read about it on the Hardtop build page.

On the Roadster build page, it still reads 189 hp, and still shows a N14 engine, so it still needs updating.

I thought the kit transforms the car, more torque everywhere and a blast to drive.
I have heard that the Hp & Tq coming on at the lows rev's and just pulling all the way to red line. I know I will like .

Old 10-15-2012, 08:01 PM
nfo
6th Gear
I'm really curious to see how the n18 kit fares against the n14 jcw...

Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nfo
I'm really curious to see how the n18 kit fares against the n14 jcw...
My kit will be delivered tomorrow to the dealership. I pick up the roadster this coming Saturday

Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM
ChicagoRus
2nd Gear
Greetings - I did the JCW engine with the Cooper S. I'm happy with it...obviously. I can really feel the extra pickup when I ask for it. I also like the look of the JCW tags with the Chili Red.

I was going to spend the money on the RECARO seats, but when I couldn't get them I decided to go with the engine upgrade. In retrospect, it was a good call. And the new tailpipes look great, too!

Last edited by ChicagoRus; 10-22-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Slowride1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ChicagoRus
Greetings - I did the JCW engine with the Cooper S. I'm happy with it...obviously. I can really feel the extra pickup when I ask for it. I also like the look of the JCW tags with the Chili Red.

I was going to spend the money on the RECARO seats, but when I couldn't get them I decided to go with the engine upgrade. In retrospect, it was a good call. And the new tailpipes look great, too!
Thanks for the reply.
I'm still in the break-in period, but it sure seems the roadster is pulling harder. Although I haven't put the rpm's past 4500 yet.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:38 PM
MINI #1
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$2000 for 8HP doesn't justify getting it...getting the Recaro Seats is different!

Old 10-27-2012, 05:37 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Re: Tuning Kit

Originally Posted by MINI #1
$2000 for 8HP doesn't justify getting it...getting the Recaro Seats is different!
I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly when they first announced the JCW Tuning kit for the N18 especially for the coupe an roadster, that they said that it was 199 hp on the new kit. That sounds about right, plus moth Mini and BMW have a habit of under stating both horsepower and 0-60 times, as well as gas mileage figures.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:38 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
I just wish that they'd break up the kit. The intake sucks, but the exhaust and ECU are where the power comes from. CAI? Get a DoS unit, they're the best, in my estimation.

Quick Reply: R59 Roadster S & JCW Tuning Kit