R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Installing 3rd Brake Light Pulsar

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:12 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing 3rd Brake Light Pulsar

Does anyone know where I can find directions to get to the 3rd brake light wiring on the Roadster or Coupe? I"m installing a 3rd brake light pulsar and none of the pulsar installation instructions include the Coupe or Roadster.

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2012, 04:55 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Not sure if you need specfic directions....
the basics are you pop out the 3rd brake light...cut the + wire, attatch it to one terminal, then attatch the reminder on the other one....reinstall.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:58 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Not sure if you need specfic directions....
the basics are you pop out the 3rd brake light...cut the + wire, attatch it to one terminal, then attatch the reminder on the other one....reinstall.
Thanks ZippyNH. I've actually downloaded the detailed instructions, with all the jumper info - it's getting access to the wiring that I'm needing. I'm looking at RealOEM.com right now to see if they have any info that shows how to get access to the wiring.

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:50 AM
zcast
3rd Gear
Did you happen to find out anything on this? I am trying to do the same for my R58. Went out this morning and started to take off the rear interior plastic (the one with the hatch pull down handles). Got 4 clips off and was able to see inside to the other clips, and it doesn't look easy, nor does it seem to be the way one would have to get to the 3rd brake light. But maybe it is BECAUSE its difficult...

Then I took the rear handle off (the one with the license plate lights in it. No go there either.

I also started to pry the brake light out gently from the body but it didn't budge. My guess it is screwed in and according to RealOEM.com it does have 2 screw terminals on it.

So after looking around, as of now without knowing how to disassemble easily everything, the easiest way I can see to access the wiring for the 3rd brake light is via the harness that comes from the rook to the hatch. This harness contains all the wiring for the rear wing, License plate lights, 3rd brake light, etc.. I can easily get to the harness by removing the grommet and exposing all the wires, I just don't know which wire to tap into. There looks to be enough room to hide the pulsar within the hatch or roof (wrap it in foam to keep it from rattling).

Does anyone have the service manual to confirm what wire is what, or know a resource I can get that info from? I installed it easily on my R55, would the wiring color be the same for my '08 Clubamn to my '12 Coupe?

-Z

Old 10-28-2012, 11:33 AM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Removing the hatch interior panel is pretty straightforward. After removing two side screws and at the lower panel it simply pops off the snap attachments. I had mine off to install the Euro Fixed Spoiler. The brake light wiring is exposed and easy to tap into.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:34 AM
zcast
3rd Gear
So looking at my Clubman it looks like yellow and brown that go into the connector, then red and black out of it.

There is a yellow on the harness on the coupe and 2 small brown wires and 1 large brown.

If I remember correctly. All browns are 12v constant? The thicker brown is probably the motor for the rear wing. So if I tap into one of the smaller browns and the yellow should this work?

Z

Attached Thumbnails Installing 3rd Brake Light Pulsar-image-3819730952.jpg   Installing 3rd Brake Light Pulsar-image-561045953.jpg  
Old 10-28-2012, 11:39 AM
zcast
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CHKMINI
Removing the hatch interior panel is pretty straightforward. After removing two side screws and at the lower panel it simply pops off the snap attachments. I had mine off to install the Euro Fixed Spoiler. The brake light wiring is exposed and easy to tap into.
Hmm ok I'm listening.

I got the 2 screws out from the handle cups. Where did you start to pry it up from? I started from the bottom below the cups using a taped up flat head screwdriver. The next set is above the cups and seem like a pita to pry off without a pry bar or something long to get in there.

Any tips?

Z

Old 10-28-2012, 03:34 PM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The ones below the window are tough. Apply constant pressure and they will release.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:49 PM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same problem trying to access the 3rd brake light wires on a Clubman.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MotorWorf
Same problem trying to access the 3rd brake light wires on a Clubman.
Check the reply to you other thread. Just 8 screws for the R55 and the whole rear light will slide rewards for access.