R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 It's officially winter here in Boston!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spiney
OK, I think today I finally found my temperature limits for top-down motoring in regular work clothes (dress pants and shirt). It was a glorious sunny day this morning, and at the end of the driveway the car showed 25 degrees, so on went the hat and gloves and down went the roof. I guess I hadn't waited long enough for the temperature readout to stabilize, because by the time I got to town a mile later it showed 20 degrees. I put up with it for 6 or 7 miles, but when I stopped for gas I declared defeat and put the roof back up.
Spiney, you give new meaning to the term "hard core!"

Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 AM
TheZlog
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been between 20 and 35 for the last week or so and especially chilly this last weekend (Portland, OR). I put on my ultralight down and wool beanie that I have for backpacking/hiking and very much enjoyed the clear blue skies and chilly air

This is a great way to get some winter driving done with the top down, and it's a great jacket for just about everything else involving icy cold, also on sale atm! :D
Eddie Bauer / First Ascent 800 fill UL Down - http://goo.gl/5ahqn

Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow you guys are good, forty is my limit and that requires hat gloves scarf.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Zulu0001
3rd Gear
It's been down around 0 for the last week so when a warm front came through Western Massachusetts last night and the temps were around 45 with a bit of sun today down went the top. It was a bit windy but ah the fresh air........

Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
More snow today...

Spiney the snowplow:

The Moo Car:

6 inches or so, after already having 6 inches plowed away. Those are mainly Spiney-tracks, after I'd moved the Moo Car away from the garage.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
That grill looks like what my guys grill has looked like several times this winter. That's what we get for driving them year round.

Bill

Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 AM
noreen99
4th Gear
Have to say I am really disliking driving peanut in the snow, headlights were making it impossible to see. Anyone else finding the headlights are just too bright?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:40 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by noreen99
Have to say I am really disliking driving peanut in the snow, headlights were making it impossible to see. Anyone else finding the headlights are just too bright?
My 2c...

I have the Xenons on the Roadster, and they are awesome. You can't use the main/high/full beam if there is snow actually falling though, all you get is reflection. Stick with the dipped/low beams, and use the fog lights if you have them. (What do you call dip/main beam in the US? I've lived here 15 years and not figured it out yet...).

My wife's Clubman has the regular halogens, and they're not enough around here in good weather or bad weather. She doesn't have fog lights either...

Old 03-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Zulu0001
3rd Gear
Today was the only day all winter I wished I had put on the Blizzaks..

I feel like an ice cube.. To cold to stand around long enough to take a picture...

And I was hoping that the 45 or so degrees and sun tomorrow would be a good time to do one of the several mods that are starting to pile up..

It won't be 45 degrees on the ground while I'm looking up at the bottom of the car...

Old 03-08-2013, 02:31 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Zulu0001
Today was the only day all winter I wished I had put on the Blizzaks..
I can relate to that. There's something about the snow from this storm that doesn't agree with the all-seasons on the Clubman. The other stroms have been fine. I got it stuck just trying to move it around on our driveway to park it in front of the garage to make it easier for the plow guy and needed to get pushed, and my wife got it nearly stuck moving it around again after the guy came. The Roadster had zero problems. I'm getting Blizzaks for the Clubman for next year...

Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM
noreen99
4th Gear

My 2c...

I have the Xenons on the Roadster, and they are awesome. You can't use the main/high/full beam if there is snow actually falling though, all you get is reflection. Stick with the dipped/low beams, and use the fog lights if you have them. (What do you call dip/main beam in the US? I've lived here 15 years and not figured it out yet...).

My wife's Clubman has the regular halogens, and they're not enough around here in good weather or bad weather. She doesn't have fog lights either...
Dipped low beams? Please explain as I have no idea how that works. Most of my driving is done at night so I've pretty much left them on auto. We rarely have this kind of weather so honestly never looked at the options with the Xenons.

Guess I need to start looking into adding fogs

Old 03-08-2013, 03:27 PM
b&WCM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2c...

Spiney, Here in the states they just call them either High Beam (Brights) or Low Beam (Dims). Fog lights are still called fog lights and with the main beam off but the running lights on is usually referred to as "Parking Lights".

Old 03-08-2013, 06:49 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Dipped low beams? Please explain as I have no idea how that works. Most of my driving is done at night so I've pretty much left them on auto. We rarely have this kind of weather so honestly never looked at the options with the Xenons.

Guess I need to start looking into adding fogs
I put that because I wasn't sure what they were called. b&wCM says that they're called low beams here. If it's snowing or foggy you shouldn't use the high beams, you just get the reflection.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Ok so I know I'm overtired under caffeinated and just so I'm not miss understanding, Xenons only have 3 settings correct? Highs, Auto and regular low beam? When on auto they are on the regular low beam correct? Is there a lower setting?There was no indication on the dash that brights were on but the reflection was horrible. Granted I was driving in the heaviest part of the downfall but I'm curious if you guys have any suggestions

Old 03-08-2013, 07:51 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Ok so I know I'm overtired under caffeinated and just so I'm not miss understanding, Xenons only have 3 settings correct? Highs, Auto and regular low beam? When on auto they are on the regular low beam correct? Is there a lower setting?There was no indication on the dash that brights were on but the reflection was horrible. Granted I was driving in the heaviest part of the downfall but I'm curious if you guys have any suggestions
Auto just turns on low beams when it gets dark. You have to put the high beams on yourself by pushing on the stick. When you do that the blue light comes on on the dash.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 PM
noreen99
4th Gear

Auto just turns on low beams when it gets dark. You have to put the high beams on yourself by pushing on the stick. When you do that the blue light comes on on the dash.
That's what I thought. It's been a crazy couple of days I must have misread My 2c's post

Thanks spiney

Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Spiney,

Ok, on a different subject, I keep my lights on auto all the time, unless I take into the dealership, and they put it on the off position. Then I drive home in the dark, until I realize what happened. Do we get lazy or not. Anyway, I am rather excited right now, as you can see from the time of this post. Lil Raggi is ready to be loaded for her Luxury Cruise to Baltimore. The Tirrannas will leave Southampton on Monday, March 11 and will arrive at Baltimore POA on March 20th. So, I think that I can be certain now, unless that storm causes problems out over the Atlantic, Olga and I will take delivery of him on March 30th. What an Easter present. Drive into Chicago on Friday, take delivery Saturday morning, then drive back, who knows, maybe spend the night in Galena and take in the Antique Shops there. It'd be my luck that we will have an Easter Surprise snow storm here in the Iowa/Illinois area. You know about snow, especially this year, so you know.

Motoring on, Bill

Old 03-09-2013, 02:59 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by hemisedan
Spiney,

Ok, on a different subject, I keep my lights on auto all the time, unless I take into the dealership, and they put it on the off position. Then I drive home in the dark, until I realize what happened. Do we get lazy or not. Anyway, I am rather excited right now, as you can see from the time of this post. Lil Raggi is ready to be loaded for her Luxury Cruise to Baltimore. The Tirrannas will leave Southampton on Monday, March 11 and will arrive at Baltimore POA on March 20th. So, I think that I can be certain now, unless that storm causes problems out over the Atlantic, Olga and I will take delivery of him on March 30th. What an Easter present. Drive into Chicago on Friday, take delivery Saturday morning, then drive back, who knows, maybe spend the night in Galena and take in the Antique Shops there. It'd be my luck that we will have an Easter Surprise snow storm here in the Iowa/Illinois area. You know about snow, especially this year, so you know.

Motoring on, Bill
When you guys in this batch all pick up your cars it will be almost exactly a year since I got mine. I can remember how excited you all are right now, I still get like that every time I'm going downstairs to get in mine for a drive, even if I'm only going to the store, or even to work! Hang in there, it is so totally worth the wait!

Old 03-09-2013, 08:24 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Getting back to the original topic of this thread, have you all noticed that even in Boston it's only 12 days or so until it's officially spring? Yea!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Does this look like it will be Spring in 12 days?

Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Zulu0001
3rd Gear
It's melting fast..

Had the top down for 3 hours today.

Went for lunch in Amherst. Got up to 57 degrees.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 PM
noreen99
4th Gear
Had a beautiful sunny 48 today so we got in our errands top down also my teenager thinks I'm crazy because the snow hasn't completely melted yet. My goal is 500 hrs by our 1yr anniversary 109 hrs to go.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:22 PM
spiney
6th Gear
I got mine down for a bit this afternoon doing grocery shopping, etc. Got some interesting looks... It was only about 40 degrees here though. Really sunny, so just a fleece and a baseball cap.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:59 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 314 Likes on 237 Posts
I hope you top down folks remember to remove your ski masks before shopping at the local convenience stores....

(anyone seen that VW ad?)

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 03-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does this look like it will be Spring in 12 days?
Beautiful pic.

We've another 9" of the white stuff on the way tonight...

Quick Reply: R59 It's officially winter here in Boston!