R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Let the Mod's begin

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:07 AM
Asquared
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Modification

Minor though it may be, I had my first modification delivered today... a JCW carbon fibre and leather shifter. Now all I need is my JCW to instal it in. I have a VIN now, but no word on a delivery date.

Attached Thumbnails Let the Mod's begin-img_2740.jpg  
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Nice,

Great you are building a parts list before the delivery.

Looks like you have the older JCW logo design CF / leather shift ****. There is a newer design JCW logo of the same shifter.

JCW Gear Shift **** - Leather / Carbon 25110417952 Older logo

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/25110417952/

JCW Gear Shift **** - Leather / Carbon - Newer design Part number 25112147229

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/25112147229/

Also an alcantara / carbon fiber shift **** ( with newer JCW logo ). Part number 25112147230

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/25112147230/

You should have this shift boot & **** and ebrake boot ( black with red stitching on both ) stock unless you order something different.

You could get the alcantara shift boot :
#2 in diagram

JCW Manual Transmissions Shifter Boot - Alcantara / Chrome Part number 25110427492

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/25110427492/

JCW Manual Transmissions Shifter Boot - Alcantara / silver base trim Part number 25110417960

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/25110417960/

If you change your mind about the JCW shift ****, we do have in stock the JCW GP2 shift **** and boot that will match the red stitching of the e-brake boot and steering wheel.

JCW GP 2 Shift **** W/ Boot - Black / Red Part number 25117638583

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/25117638583/ES2607800/

There is also matching e-brake boots in alcantara to match the shifter boot, if you decide. That gives you many options and combos.

Congrats on the JCW Roadster.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 07-01-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Asquared
2nd Gear
Smiling... sort of

ECS,

I'm smiling, sort of, since I ordered the JCW shifter from you (ECS) and you certainly didn't indicate or tell me then that the one I ordered and received was the "older JCW log design". Your post offers good information for those who might want the new JCW logo on their shifter. When you have time, you might want to put the information of your website

~ Alan

Old 06-21-2013, 02:46 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Hello Asquared,

In the product JCW Gear Shift **** - Leather / Carbon it states " Upgrade to the JCW shift **** - older logo" and the older style JCW logo in description". Pm me the order # and I can look into it.

Also, Possible you ordered the Gen 1 R50 R52 R53 shift ****, which has the older logo design. They look the same as Gen 2 but the part numbers are for a different application. Then ones above in the post are for gen 2 MINIs.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My first integration of carbon fiber. OMG, I've really stepped on to a slippery slope now.

These are replacing standard black caps. The cool thing about these CarbonMINI caps is that they're the last of a limited set that were discreetly personalized on the underside of the cap by UK MINI Challenge Champion Chris Knox. Somehow the planets aligned and I ended up with them:

----
The driver's side, installed. If it would ever stop raining I might back out of the garage and get some full sunshine pics.

----

Old 06-24-2013, 07:33 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Nice

-Steven

Old 06-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Asquared
2nd Gear
Spacers

I've just received the 12mm Spacer Kit from Outmotoring. The craftsmanship looks great. Can't wait to get them installed when I get the Roadster!

Thanks to Blue Toy/Black Toffee for posting the information and photos of these spacers.

~Alan

Attached Thumbnails Let the Mod's begin-dscn0845.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Asquared
2nd Gear
License Holder

While I still haven't taken delivery of the Roadster, the thought of drilling holes into the front bumper leaves me cold. So, I ordered the GrimmSpeed license holder from Outmotoring. The holder mounts left of centre via the towing hook bolt hole.

Here's a picture of it on the kitchen counter; I'll be sure to post of it installed.

~Alan

Attached Thumbnails Let the Mod's begin-dscn0846.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 01:37 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Asquared
I've just received the 12mm Spacer Kit from Outmotoring. The craftsmanship looks great. Can't wait to get them installed when I get the Roadster!

Thanks to Blue Toy/Black Toffee for posting the information and photos of these spacers.

~Alan
12mm is perfect with the stock wheel. Post up some pics when you get it all set up.

-Steven

Old 06-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Asquared
2nd Gear
I will post some pics for sure. My Roadster is sitting on the dock at Southampton right now and is scheduled to be loaded tomorrow and arrive in Halifax on July 8!

~Alan

Old 07-01-2013, 11:33 PM
GLJones
3rd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
I wish my bumper was undrilled. The car was in Germany and Alabama so it has the front plate holder. I am thinking about getting a europlate for the front as it looks better than the US plate. the US plate is too tall and covers part of the lower grill.

I should ask someone what it would take to fill the holes and touch up paint them.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:18 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GLJones
I wish my bumper was undrilled. The car was in Germany and Alabama so it has the front plate holder. I am thinking about getting a europlate for the front as it looks better than the US plate. the US plate is too tall and covers part of the lower grill.

I should ask someone what it would take to fill the holes and touch up paint them.
On a thread maybe two years ago, someone had come up with a way to plug the hoes. The small plastic pieces [think pan head screw] that could painted and inserted in the how, Not a perfect solution but better than he holes. A body shop could do it but you'll pay for the whole bumper to be painted too.

Here in Ohio the front tag is mandatory but I have not had one on my car sice I moved back from Florida in 1999 since it detracts so much from the look. They are also mulling around a bill to go to only a rear tag.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
wheel specs

Hi guys! I'm quite new to this forum.

I tried to post a new thread but I'm having difficulties so until that's resolved I though I could post my question here...

We just ordered a cooper s roadster and I'm trying to get wheel specification information in order to get some larger wheels.
We chose the standard 16" wheels we'll use for winter. And I'm trying to understand what fits so I can get some summer wheels before the car is delivered.

So far here is what information I gathered and what I'm still missing about OE fitment:
- OE wheel: typically 16x7, 17x7, or 18x? though I won't likely get 18". Is this correct?
- Offset: totally unsure . . . 45mm maybe? I have no idea...
- Hub: Are cooper S wheels hub-centric? What is the hub diameter?
- Tires: 195x55x16, 205x45x17, and 205x40x18. Is that correct?

In addition:
- How much wider can we go without requiring any fender adjustments what so ever. Tire width is probably the best way to approach this one. I can always figure out the wheels from there.
I'm not looking for anything aggressive and will consider weight implications.
The roadster will be my weekend car, but my wife's daily car so I don't want her to have to worry about any of this.
- Said differently, what the smallest offset that can be used without requiring any fender adjustment? My approach is typically to not let the wheels grow further from the inside. But obviously the fender clearance must be met.

Thank you guys for your help!

I am so impatient to get the car!

Last edited by TG.; 07-02-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Gil-galad
I ran these in my previous '11 MCS...here they are in a little bit different configuration (due the the "UV Radiation Exposure Meter") and fitted into my Roadster. Believe it or not, there are still good sight lines past the steering wheel to all of the displayed information and the annunciator lights on each gauge. They're actually a pretty good match appearance-wise with the Nav screen so it keeps everything tied together nicely.

OBTW, they're AeroForce Interceptor gauges in CravenSpeed cups and mountings.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Zulu0001
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've wanted a scanguage II type device for a while.

After some research I went with an OBDII WiFi adapter and the Dash Command app from Palmer Performance Engineering for my iPhone 4 (Android version too).

Here is the Wifi module, It has an on/off button so you can leave it plugged in and not worry about draining your battery:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1EF0SN5964

Name:  P1040157_zps2a611ff2.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  P1040160_zps76abb517.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  15.2 KB

Name:  P1040161_zps53910413.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  23.2 KB

Works great with my iPhone connects every time.

Dash Command:

http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...hone/index.php

Name:  P1040166_zps555425c0.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  P1040167_zpsaf013c28.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  38.6 KB

I've played with it for about 2 hours now. It works very well.

I haven't figured out wheather I can listen to Pandora in the background or not yet..

Andy

Old 08-16-2013, 04:03 PM
Asquared
2nd Gear
My First Mods...

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share the first few mods:
NM Engineering Titanium Heat Shield
NM Engineering Catch Tank
NM Engineering Upper Front Tie Bar
Alta Panel Filter
Grimmspeed License Plate Relocation Kit

Here are some photos, the first photo shows the license plate relocation, but nothing happening, yet, under the hood.

Cheers,
Alan

Attached Thumbnails Let the Mod's begin-img_2218.jpg   Let the Mod's begin-img_2229.jpg   Let the Mod's begin-img_2241.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 06:40 AM
Gil-galad
I think I'm just about ready to stop and declare victory on my interior CF mods. Just finished up the central speedo and vent surrounds yesterday. I like where it's at right now. I'm thinking that anything more (e.g., dash panels) would be overkill and would detract from the existing pieces.

Here's where we stand --

- Gil

Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Wow Gary...well done. I think you are correct in thinking any more would be too much. The interplay with the silver dash panels works extremely well. Post or PM me your resources, I may be copying a few of your mods

-Steven

Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Wow Gary...well done. I think you are correct in thinking any more would be too much. The interplay with the silver dash panels works extremely well. Post or PM me your resources, I may be copying a few of your mods

-Steven
Thanks...your endorsement means a lot. I value your design eye a great deal.

All of my CF parts, less the e-brake handle, came from here:

http://www.carbonmini.com/

Very precise fit to all of their overlay pieces. The customer service from Erin has been absolutely top notch. Extremely responsive and thorough.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:46 AM
KennyR
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
I think I'm just about ready to stop and declare victory on my interior CF mods. Just finished up the central speedo and vent surrounds yesterday. I like where it's at right now. I'm thinking that anything more (e.g., dash panels) would be overkill and would detract from the existing pieces.

Here's where we stand --

- Gil
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I searched the threads without success.

As is yours, my 2014 Roadster with the JCM interior and steering wheel came with the dark gray trim surround on the tach and top open meter, while the rest of the gauges and vents are the stock brushed silver. I wanted to remove the various trim pieces and simply spray them to match the darker tach, but I can't find any info on whether the trim surrounds can be more simply removed without removing the dash pieces.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by KennyR
Apologies if this has been asked before, but I searched the threads without success.

As is yours, my 2014 Roadster with the JCM interior and steering wheel came with the dark gray trim surround on the tach and top open meter, while the rest of the gauges and vents are the stock brushed silver. I wanted to remove the various trim pieces and simply spray them to match the darker tach, but I can't find any info on whether the trim surrounds can be more simply removed without removing the dash pieces.

Thanks in advance for any help.
The speedo and vent bezels are attached to the surrounding trim pieces. To remove them, the dash panels need to be popped off to access the various mounting screws.

This video clip of an R56 speedo removal might give you some insights...

Note that I didn't have to go through these machinations to install my carbon fiber bits as they are form-fitting overlays that did not require the dash to be disassembled.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:02 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Thanks...your endorsement means a lot. I value your design eye a great deal.

All of my CF parts, less the e-brake handle, came from here:

http://www.carbonmini.com/

Very precise fit to all of their overlay pieces. The customer service from Erin has been absolutely top notch. Extremely responsive and thorough.
Thanks for the info Gary. I've used the carbonmini parts, and they are top notch. Is the center console overlay from carbonmini? They don't show it on their site. I do see outmotoring listing one.

Knowing when to lift the pencil off the paper is everything...keep up the good work!

-Steven

Last edited by BlueToy; 10-14-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:53 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Thanks for the info Gary. I've used the carbonmini parts, and they are top notch. Is the center console overlay from carbonmini? They don't show it on their site. I do see outmotoring listing one.

Knowing when to lift the pencil off the paper is everything...keep up the good work!

-Steven
The center console overlay was a special manufacturing run by CarbonMINI for the R58/R59 fitment. I had seen a nice Coupe install and inquired a couple of months ago if it could be done for the Roadster, and they said yes. I suspect they produced several for their inventory but probably not very many due to the expected limited demand. You might contact Erin directly to see if they still have any left from that production cycle.

I've seen the Outmotoring part in the flesh. It is a complete replacement part, vice the easier-to-install overlay (unless they've recently become a reseller for CarbonMINI).

Old 10-14-2013, 12:58 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
The center console overlay was a special manufacturing run by CarbonMINI for the R58/R59 fitment. I had seen a nice Coupe install and inquired a couple of months ago if it could be done for the Roadster, and they said yes. I suspect they produced several for their inventory but probably not very many due to the expected limited demand. You might contact Erin directly to see if they still have any left from that production cycle.

I've seen the Outmotoring part in the flesh. It is a complete replacement part, vice the easier-to-install overlay (unless they've recently become a reseller for CarbonMINI).
Will do, thanks!

-Steven

Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Boy, I really like the gloss aspect of the air vent and center speedo console covers. I wouldn't go with carbon fiber look but I like the gloss part there.

Looking great Gil-galad!

Last edited by TG.; 10-14-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: R59 Let the Mod's begin