R59 :: Roadster Talk (2012+) MINI Roadster (R59) discussion

R59 Let the Mod's begin

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GEMSTER
Installed the TSW X-brace last month, but havent driven the car since this week. It feels a heck of a lot more rigid and planted to the road. The only downside is that its sticks out quite a bit. I have already scraped twice...Pretty much have to avoid all speed bumps if possible. I guess its fine for cars on stock height, but it is a challenge for lowered cars.
I never would have imagined that this piece was compatible with the existing R59 cross bracing. Hard to tell in the pic...how much clearance do you have remaining under the X-brace?

Old 01-12-2014, 12:43 PM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The Roadster bracing far away from the x-brace. They have no contact with each other.

I think I have around 2.5-3 inches of clearance (probably less).

Old 03-24-2014, 07:50 PM
Gil-galad
Regarding the rear JCW reverse and fog lights, it was real easy to go from this:

...to a nicely symmetric look with a driver's side replacement lens:

But it still left me--like everyone else--with only one functional reverse light, and now a rear fog light that was not red but white (and illegal).

So, it was a bit more of a challenge to obtain functional reverse lights on both sides AND functional red rear fog lights on both sides using the same fixtures:

Curious as to how this was done? Feel free to check out my "how to" post using this link:

Functional Reverse and Fog Light Pairs on a JCW Rear Bumper

I'm glad it finally warmed up enough for me to get motivated to get this done.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Very nice work. I like it better this way

So I didn't quite get the white vs. red illegal aspect of it. Was it when you swapped that the wiring used for the fog lights was now turning on the white reverse bulb? Or does it simply have to do with the way it was wired before, one side for fog, one side for reverse. Sorry I'm a little lost here

Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by TG.
Very nice work. I like it better this way

So I didn't quite get the white vs. red illegal aspect of it. Was it when you swapped that the wiring used for the fog lights was now turning on the white reverse bulb? Or does it simply have to do with the way it was wired before, one side for fog, one side for reverse. Sorry I'm a little lost here
Thanks.

When you simply install the aftermarket driver's side fixture and stop there, the wiring stays the same. So, if and when you flip the rear fog light switch, the same bulb illuminates as before but since the aftermarket lens is clear (vice tinted red) it shows white. Which isn't supposed to show if the vehicle is moving in the forward direction.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 PM
TG.
6th Gear
So you didn't have a separate fog light bulb before? Or said differently you had no rear fog lights before?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:11 PM
spiney
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
So, it was a bit more of a challenge to obtain functional reverse lights on both sides AND functional red rear fog lights on both sides using the same fixtures:
Nice work! Do you notice any difference in actual rear lighting in reverse? Or can you see zero behind you anyway with the hood up like me, so it doesn't matter?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by TG.
So you didn't have a separate fog light bulb before? Or said differently you had no rear fog lights before?
Yes, I did have the rear fog, but it was only the single light on the driver's side with the red lens (see the first pic in my initial post). The bulb is the same on both sides. The stock condition from the factory is a single, identical bulb on each side with different colored lenses...with the passenger's side connected to the reverse light circuit and the driver's side connected to the fog light circuit. That's the way it is for all '11+ JCW rear bumper set-ups.

Originally Posted by spiney
Nice work! Do you notice any difference in actual rear lighting in reverse? Or can you see zero behind you anyway with the hood up like me, so it doesn't matter?
Thanks! The additional reverse light certainly helps to some degree. Mainly I'm just happy to avoid having to deal with people who see me put the car in reverse and then tell me that I have a burnt out bulb.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:17 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Yes, I did have the rear fog, but it was only the single light on the driver's side with the red lens (see the first pic in my initial post). The bulb is the same on both sides. The stock condition from the factory is a single, identical bulb on each side with different colored lenses...with the passenger's side connected to the reverse light circuit and the driver's side connected to the fog light circuit. That's the way it is for all '11+ JCW rear bumper set-ups.
Oooh, I get it . . . sorry for being so slow. It's just a little weird what they did there. I'm not use to see different lens arrangement right and left. Most cars have the same lens but an additional bulb for the fog so it looks the same otherwise. I guess MINI didn't see it that way and why you felt the need to correct that

Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
Looks very good, awesome thread and mod.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-27-2014, 04:19 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice work and excellent write up…thanks Gil-galad

-Steven

Old 03-27-2014, 05:42 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Nice work and excellent write up…thanks Gil-galad
Thanks Steven. Check back in ~10 days...should have a few more things to share in this thread.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Thanks Steven. Check back in ~10 days...should have a few more things to share in this thread.
Subscribed…I really appreciate your attention to detail and your overall design sense. Keep up the great work

-Steven

Old 04-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Gil-galad
I managed to get around to the suspension mods I've been planning all winter, to wit:

NM Eng RS Alpha lowering springs (these are the rears, all ready for install)...

...H-Sport adjustable rear control arms...

...H-Sport 25mm rear sway bar...

...and some 215/45-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3s...

...and the result:

I'm liking the new stance, and the ride is vastly improved. I'm sure going to the Michelins has a lot to do with it, but the suspension seems to handle the rougher roads much better. I haven't been able to give the RSB a good workout yet but I can already detect some good rotation with the bar in its middle setting.

Last edited by Gil-galad; 04-16-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:29 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Excellent mods…it really takes the an already great handling car and makes it so much better

-Steven

Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 AM
Gil-galad
Excellent mods…it really takes the an already great handling car and makes it so much better
-Steven
Thanks Steven. As usual, your trailblazing was an important catalyst in motivating me to get this work accomplished.

I've LED Fogs sitting on the shelf but need to find an uninterrupted weekend day to install them. After that, my current list will be all checked off and I'll need to start thinking about what might be next...

Old 04-06-2014, 05:45 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have all the mods you just installed. Except I went with the NM RSB. Installed almost a year ago, and have loved them. Installing Ohlins this weekend and hopefully the LED fogs next weekend. Enjoy.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 AM
TG.
6th Gear
Very nice Gil-Galad
If it wasn't that my wife drive the car more often than me and I can't ask her to be attentive the pot holes and such I'de be right there following you guys.

So are you saying that the ride with these suspension component is actually more comfortable? or is that an effect of the Michelins? I have the PSP (edit: oops I meant PSS) on two cars and I know from direct experience that they are much more supple than many all seasons and certainly more than run flat...

Last edited by TG.; 04-06-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:06 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by jkapinos
I have all the mods you just installed. Except I went with the NM RSB. Installed almost a year ago, and have loved them. Installing Ohlins this weekend and hopefully the LED fogs next weekend. Enjoy.

Originally Posted by TG.
Very nice Gil-Galad
If it wasn't that my wife drive the car more often than me and I can't ask her to be attentive the pot holes and such I'de be right there following you guys.

So are you saying that the ride with these suspension component is actually more comfortable? or is that an effect of the Michelins? I have the PSP on two cars and I know from direct experience that they are much more supple than many all seasons and certainly more than run flat...
I'm sure much of this is related to the tire swap. It was great to go up a size and actually reduce unsprung weight. So far, all of the accolades I've read about the Pilot Sport AS/3 seem to be credible. That said, I was pleasantly surprised at how well behaved the Alpha springs are at highway speed and through some unexpected mega-dips in the road surface.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 AM
TG.
6th Gear
You're really going to enjoy the Pilot Super sport. Although I'm getting confused here... did you get the Pilot Super Sport or the Pilot sport AS/3?
It's hard to tell but they almost look like a different thread pattern than what I have. I could be wrong...

Mine look like this:
Name:  Winterization01-2013_zps0058c2d1.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  91.4 KB

I miss typed it on my previous thread but that's what I run, the PSS (pilot super sport).
They've been my favorite tire so far. They're a little pricey but they should last a long time too and the quality of those are usually very good which requires a little less balancing. When the weather gets warm they really stick . . . meanwhile they aren't afraid of a little rain!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by TG.

Mine look like this...
Exact same tire. Exact same wheels. Great minds think alike.

Edit: Upon further review my tires are the Pilot Sport A/S3. Still love 'em.

Last edited by Gil-galad; 04-16-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:35 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear

I'm sure much of this is related to the tire swap. It was great to go up a size and actually reduce unsprung weight. So far, all of the accolades I've read about the Pilot Sport AS/3 seem to be credible. That said, I was pleasantly surprised at how well behaved the Alpha springs are at highway speed and through some unexpected mega-dips in the road surface.
The Michelins are superb. When I first installed the NM springs, I was running my stock Sport shocks. These springs do ride better than stock springs…I consider them to be tuned perfectly for a Daily Driver. Add to that the ride height, and you have a winner.

Now, Gil-galad, let's see some more pics of the new stance…your Roadster is looking very dialed in

-Steven

Old 04-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Gil-galad
...let's see some more pics of the new stance…
Waiting for some cooperative weather.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:38 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Waiting for some cooperative weather.
Living in the Midwest as you do….I understand that Looking forward to it!

-Steven

Old 04-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also installed my H-Sport RSB and Michelin PSS's this weekend! I mounted them on NM RSe05's. I really like the look I came from the S-winders, so I didn't loose too much unsprung weight. But its still nice to actually lose weight when going up a size . I have to agree with you the ride is fantastic. I was very suprised how nice the ride was. I was on 16" wheels with Michelin X-Ice tires prior and figured that would be light years ahead in terms of ride comfort. But I was wrong! Michelin did a good job making these The H-sport 25mm bar wasn't tested too much since these tires are brand new and the there is still a lot of sand on the roads here in CR. But I can feel the car is much more planted than before. I came from base suspension, not sport, so I had the No. 2 pencil thin RSB on before. Wow was that bar skinny! I have a lot more confidence going into turns now. I'll be doing my suspenion next year as I must save the rest of my money for a wedding and house, but I'm glad to chose this first

Gil-galad in your shot of the suspension I see some clear plastic around the springs. Did these come with the Alpha springs, or did you add this yourself? Its a good idea either way considering our winters here (assuming you're an all season roadster), just curious so I know what to expect next year, when I do the springs and struts. I'm also very envious of the rear control arms. Drool...

Quick Reply: R59 Let the Mod's begin