Drivetrain ECU Tune - Best Mod Yet? Yup!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:57 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hujan
Thanks. You got a link for the AFE Dry Filter? I agree that I'd rather avoid the oiled filters if I can.
Sure, no problem. AFE Filter Link. It says for 2007-2010 but it fits just fine, in-fact the part numbers from MINI are the same. If you want to order one call the number and talk to Scott, he'll hook ya up.

I actually just installed one on my wife's Cooper S, sounds awesome. (damn that car is fast)

Below are 2 pics showing the fit...first is my Countryman, second and third are her ride.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:31 PM
eenunez1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=1bigpea;3522837]Thanks Solar10 for what you told me about your Countryman, and I'll repeat those words. "The ECU Tuning was the Best Mod Yet", and I must agree.

1bigpea you and Solar 10 using these guys, has me thinking that the tune needs to be bumped up in my bucket list! Especially since they service SD... With my intake and exhaust already done, the tune should tie it all in nicely!

Old 06-23-2012, 08:47 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
[quote=eenunez1;3536924]
Originally Posted by 1bigpea
Thanks Solar10 for what you told me about your Countryman, and I'll repeat those words. "The ECU Tuning was the Best Mod Yet", and I must agree.

1bigpea you and Solar 10 using these guys, has me thinking that the tune needs to be bumped up in my bucket list! Especially since they service SD... With my intake and exhaust already done, the tune should tie it all in nicely!
Indeed! You won't regret it, the trifecta will be complete! Tell Farzaan & Jags, Dave from RSM says "what up!" when you call them.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 PM
starman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eenunez1
1bigpea you and Solar 10 using these guys, has me thinking that the ECU Tuning needs to be bumped up in my bucket list! Especially since they service SD... With my intake and exhaust already done, the tune should tie it all in nicely!
What do you mean that they service San Diego? Do they come down here or are you just meaning it's an easy drive up there? I gather the price is $495. So should one expect it to take 2.5 hours or so?

Last edited by starman; 06-23-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by starman
What do you mean that they service San Diego? Do they come down here or are you just meaning it's an easy drive up there? I gather the price is $495. How many hours does it take?
Good question! Did not realize there was another of us in San Diego. You, me, and "eenunez1" should get our rides together for a pic!

Old 06-24-2012, 02:32 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by starman
What do you mean that they service San Diego? Do they come down here or are you just meaning it's an easy drive up there? I gather the price is $495. So should one expect it to take 2.5 hours or so?
They service Orange County and San Diego County, so they come to you. Very professional, Farzaan is a cool dude too.

So for me they drove down in the evening, picked up my ECU and took it to LA. Farzaan drove back down the next morning early and put it back in. I made it to my office at my normal time of 8am.

Worked out great!!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 PM
eenunez1
3rd Gear

So for me they drove down in the evening, picked up my ECU and took it to LA....

Worked out great!!
This does seem pretty convenient, I'll call tomorrow and discuss with the guys and will pass on the greeting!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:33 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
This does seem pretty convenient, I'll call tomorrow and discuss with the guys and will pass on the greeting!
Cool, keep me updated.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Ask Farzaan if he's Iranian, and if so, whether he'd give a discount to a fellow Iranian (i.e., me).

Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Changes to 2012 Countrymen?

So it appears there might have been some changes to Countrymen post February that are frustrating attempts to unleash power from our rides.

Intercooler

It appears that there was a change to the bumper which might complicate an attempt to install an intercooler. In particular, we tried a Forge intercooler for the R60 and found that it did not seem to fit. I have seen photos of those units fitting in an R60, so clearly something has changed.

In a nutshell, the intercooler was too deep (from front to back) to fit inside the bumper. Also, the mounting tabs on the top did not seem to line up with anything on the bumper. Bottom line, you may want to tread carefully on the Forge Countryman FMIC if you have a 2012 R60.

From the looks of things, I am guessing that a slimmer version (e.g., Alta's FMIC, the Helix FMIC, or even Forge's FMIC for the other Cooper models) would fit a lot better. Indeed, I was able to confirm that the R60 OEM intercooler and the OEM intercooler on the other Cooper models are identical.

ECU Tune

A little bird told me that the ECUs on cars built post February 2012 may prove difficult to tune. Which begs the question:

Pea: When was your R60 built?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
So it appears there might have been some changes to Countrymen post February that are frustrating attempts to unleash power from our rides.

Intercooler

It appears that there was a change to the bumper which might complicate an attempt to install an intercooler. In particular, we tried a Forge intercooler for the R60 and found that it did not seem to fit. I have seen photos of those units fitting in an R60, so clearly something has changed.

In a nutshell, the intercooler was too deep (from front to back) to fit inside the bumper. Also, the mounting tabs on the top did not seem to line up with anything on the bumper. Bottom line, you may want to tread carefully on the Forge Countryman FMIC if you have a 2012 R60.

From the looks of things, I am guessing that a slimmer version (e.g., Alta's FMIC, the Helix FMIC, or even Forge's FMIC for the other Cooper models) would fit a lot better. Indeed, I was able to confirm that the R60 OEM intercooler and the OEM intercooler on the other Cooper models are identical.

ECU Tune

A little bird told me that the ECUs on cars built post February 2012 may prove difficult to tune. Which begs the question:

Pea: When was your R60 built?
Hujan, where is the above info coming from?

Additionally why would the software in post 2 / 12 be any different than before, especially when a new software upgrade comes out?

To answer your question 10 / 11

Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
eenunez1
3rd Gear

Additionally why would the software in post 2 / 12 be any different than before, especially when a new software upgrade comes out?

I read about it last night here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8-minis-4.html

And confirmed this find today when I called NM; did not get into the details of what next from NM since I was hoping that my ECU was built before 2/12. I am calling NM to get some more info tomorrow... Just happened that I am out of town for a week so I thought the time was right to get the tune done from NM.

Last edited by eenunez1; 07-10-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Link correction
Old 07-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Hujan
5th Gear

The information on the intercooler is coming from me. Working with a very skilled mechanic who works with Way from WMW, we confirmed that the Forge FMIC for the R60 will not fit my R60. Since I know the Forge FMIC for the R60 has been successfully installed on other models, I can only imagine that there was a change to the bumper design. Whether it affects all 2012 models or only models after a certain date, I cannot say. But if your R60 was built in or after April 2012, I would tread carefully.

But like I said, I do believe that the Alta, regular Forge, and Helix FMICs will fit. I can't confirm that, but judging from the space I saw back there, it should go in no problem. I am leaving heavily towards the Helix.

As Eddie pointed out, the information re: the ECU tune is coming from NAM itself.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:20 AM
1bigpea
4th Gear
The information on the intercooler is coming from me. Working with a very skilled mechanic who works with Way from WMW, we confirmed that the Forge FMIC for the R60 will not fit my R60. Since I know the Forge FMIC for the R60 has been successfully installed on other models, I can only imagine that there was a change to the bumper design. Whether it affects all 2012 models or only models after a certain date, I cannot say. But if your R60 was built in or after April 2012, I would tread carefully.

But like I said, I do believe that the Alta, regular Forge, and Helix FMICs will fit. I can't confirm that, but judging from the space I saw back there, it should go in no problem. I am leaving heavily towards the Helix.

As Eddie pointed out, the information re: the ECU tune is coming from NAM itself.

Copy, thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the link that Eddie posted.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone have info about shipping the ECU having it tuned and then having it shipped back? I'm in New Orleans and finding a tuner here I'm afraid will be like finding a desert in the swamp. Is the ECU hard to remove? Will any of these guys do a "remote tune"? Mine is one of the first that made it to Florida so it's still the tunable variety I believe. Any if is helpful. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:34 PM
kconner5
4th Gear
When I had my ECU retuned I shipped it down to florida. But first, I believe all of our cars are tunable... I would go with PAW in Miami just because I trust Lenny, the guy who does the tunes (who also works for RENNtech as a full time job) basically an ECU genius! I had mine back in 3 days, just went to USPS bubble wrapped the ECU and overnighted it to them and it was a great process. Originally I drove my MINI to Miami to have it tuned because I was the first ALL4 to have it done. Anyways if you have more questions just PM me

Kyle

Old 07-11-2012, 04:34 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
Anyone have info about shipping the ECU having it tuned and then having it shipped back? I'm in New Orleans and finding a tuner here I'm afraid will be like finding a desert in the swamp. Is the ECU hard to remove? Will any of these guys do a "remote tune"? Mine is one of the first that made it to Florida so it's still the tunable variety I believe. Any if is helpful. Thanks!
The ECU is not hard to remove, if you know what you're doing. It basically is like a hard drive that is plugged into your Mini so you need to un-clip the harnesses and then remove some nuts. The ECU will slide right out. Once you have the ECU out you can wrap it and ship it, it can not be done remotely. Putting the ECU back in is even easier since you just slide it back into the housing and then re-clip the harnesses.

The guys at ETG Tuning are great and know their stuff. Give them a call to find out how long the turn around would be for you, probably not all that bad.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Copy, thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the link that Eddie posted.
Way from WMW is sending me a Forge FMIC for the R56 and we are going to try to mount that one. I really do believe it will work. It is basically the same design as the Helix FMIC, except that it has mounting tabs on the sides like the OEM intercooler so that it is not just relying on the hoses to hold it up.

I will, of course, take photos and report back if it fits. Fingers crossed!

Side note: I know that this thread is about tunes, not intercoolers. However, the two go hand in hand, so I thought it would be beneficial info for anyone looking for a tune to know which intercooler to buy. In that regard, I found it interesting that all the tuners I've spoken with highly recommended Forge over any others.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:00 PM
eenunez1
3rd Gear
As an update I called Jerry at NM today and he confirmed that NM is still working on finding a port to tune the newer ECU's, built after 2/12. What apparently happened Bosch changed the ECU in '12 and when they did that the access port that NM used (probably most tuners used) was moved hence the inability to flash our ECUs. If some tuners are able to tune the newer ECUs they must have better insider info then NM. NM's CMS tune is ready, the access port just needs to be identified for the procedure to be completed. How do you know if you have an older ECU, pop the hood and look for the ECU located adjacent to the fuse box on the drivers side and if it has a yellow sticker that is the older ECU. I have not contacted other tuners on this subject; Hujan is on the hook to check with Farzaan at ETG; just wondering if they are able to tune the newer ECUs. I really like my NM exhaust and after talking to Jerry today I've decided to wait for their tune, which can be ready any given week....

Last edited by eenunez1; 07-11-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Well I hope they get the tuning figured out for the late model '12's. I am promising myself it will be the only engine mod I make on this one....

By, lookat ETG's pricing.... 20k for a Veyron Tune... wHY? nOT THE 20K. If you can afford a Veyron, 20k is nothing, but why would you tune a perfect car?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Way from WMW is sending me a Forge FMIC for the R56 and we are going to try to mount that one. I really do believe it will work. It is basically the same design as the Helix FMIC, except that it has mounting tabs on the sides like the OEM intercooler so that it is not just relying on the hoses to hold it up.

I will, of course, take photos and report back if it fits. Fingers crossed!

Side note: I know that this thread is about tunes, not intercoolers. However, the two go hand in hand, so I thought it would be beneficial info for anyone looking for a tune to know which intercooler to buy. In that regard, I found it interesting that all the tuners I've spoken with highly recommended Forge over any others.
Awesome, thanks for all of the info! You're right, my next mod is a IC so having someone post up their experience is great. Keep it coming and post photos ASAP!

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:54 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj
Well I hope they get the tuning figured out for the late model '12's. I am promising myself it will be the only engine mod I make on this one....

By, lookat ETG's pricing.... 20k for a Veyron Tune... wHY? nOT THE 20K. If you can afford a Veyron, 20k is nothing, but why would you tune a perfect car?
There's another 20k+ price on there as well if i remember correctly. The Bugatti?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
As an update I called Jerry at NM today and he confirmed that NM is still working on finding a port to tune the newer ECU's, built after 2/12. What apparently happened Bosch changed the ECU in '12 and when they did that the access port that NM used (probably most tuners used) was moved hence the inability to flash our ECUs. If some tuners are able to tune the newer ECUs they must have better insider info then NM. NM's CMS tune is ready, the access port just needs to be identified for the procedure to be completed. How do you know if you have an older ECU, pop the hood and look for the ECU located adjacent to the fuse box on the drivers side and if it has a yellow sticker that is the older ECU. I have not contacted other tuners on this subject; Hujan is on the hook to check with Farzaan at ETG; just wondering if they are able to tune the newer ECUs. I really like my NM exhaust and after talking to Jerry today I've decided to wait for their tune, which can be ready any given week....
Wow, no kidding! OK, well keep us updated on what you find out and I'll look forward to what Hujan finds out as well. I wonder if the ECU actually looks different? Here's mine below...

Last edited by 1bigpea; 07-11-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: edited photo
Old 07-11-2012, 09:22 PM
eenunez1
3rd Gear
1bigpea, I too have one of those dog pens in my garage as well as the CMS and its ECU of course!

Last edited by eenunez1; 07-11-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: edit
Old 07-11-2012, 09:52 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
1bigpea, I too have one of those dog pens in my garage as well as the CMS and its ECU of course!
Ha...nice! What kind of dog(s)?

We have 3, brother and sister French Bulldogs and a 5 year old Golden. That pen got a lot of use! Now it's in the garage like yours trying to stay out of the way.

/myownthreadjack

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ECU Tune - Best Mod Yet? Yup!