Drivetrain ECU Tune - Best Mod Yet? Yup!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 AM
ayk07
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is the dealer going to give me trouble if i tell them to not update the ecu(void warranty or anything)? i have to take the car to them in november-december so im thinking to do the tune right after?

Old 09-14-2012, 11:22 AM
kconner5
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just write on the service order "DONT TOUCH ECU" plus they all know my car... They're cool with it

Kyle

Old 09-14-2012, 11:25 AM
ayk07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kconner5
I just write on the service order "DONT TOUCH ECU" plus they all know my car... They're cool with it

Kyle
cool, i hate waiting for it, want to get it done especially with the jcw r60 coming out. don't want to lag behind. i am a bit paranoid when it comes to car aftermarket parts and so on. glad to know that it wont mess with the warranty.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ayk07
is the dealer going to give me trouble if i tell them to not update the ecu(void warranty or anything)? i have to take the car to them in november-december so im thinking to do the tune right after?
Good question. I'm not sure I want to tell them. Irvine Mini seems a bit...how should I say it...."by the book" I guess? That's at least my perception. I wanted to say something while I was in for recall work but I couldn't bring myself to say anything.

I know Farzaan at ECU Tuning Group will take care of me if they re-flash my ECU so I'm not too worried about it. But still wary of bringing my ride to the dealer.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 PM
ayk07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 1bigpea
Good question. I'm not sure I want to tell them. Irvine Mini seems a bit...how should I say it...."by the book" I guess? That's at least my perception. I wanted to say something while I was in for recall work but I couldn't bring myself to say anything.

I know Farzaan at ECU Tuning Group will take care of me if they re-flash my ECU so I'm not too worried about it. But still wary of bringing my ride to the dealer.
i think i should be good, they seemed good, even talked about what i was planning for the car but never asked them regarding ecu flash. they do sell a few heavily modified mini's though.

this is one of them.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Rudeman422
2nd Gear
Has anyone with a tune from ECU Tuning Group got any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times? I know you guys have said how much faster it feels and how much more fun it is to drive, but I'd kind of like to see real world data. HP and Torque numbers are cool, but track times really tell you what you have.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:36 PM
ayk07
4th Gear
i got a response from RMW, similar to alta's

Hi i wanted to know if you are going to make the flash tool for mini r60s. there is a big demand in the r60 community since no other option is out there besides a direct tune of the ecu.

Revolution Mini revolutionmini@live.com
6:10 PM (2 hours ago)

to me
working on it

Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 19:42:48 -0400
Subject: mini r60s
To: jan@revolutionmotorworks.com

Old 09-16-2012, 06:56 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
A little more detail would be nice, but it's encouraging I guess. Hopefully they'll figure it out by next summer when I plan to get mine tuned.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
A little more detail would be nice, but it's encouraging I guess. Hopefully they'll figure it out by next summer when I plan to get mine tuned.
I was thinking the same thing...actually kind of a lame response to a customer.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Just saw this in another thread about no AccessPort from Alta.

Originally Posted by Pathy01
Well, I just figured I would check to see if there was any news from ALTA on the N18 since I have my 2013 JCW on order and here's the response I got from them.

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting ALTA Performance.

The AccessPORT will not be made available for the N18 engine MINI, sorry.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Thank you for your business
John Leitl
Sales Manager
ALTA Performance
Hopefully RMW pulls through.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:47 PM
007-Mini
1st Gear
Anyone know of someone on the Toronto, Canada area that can do the ECU tune?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM
countryman2b
1st Gear
Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM
007-Mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by countryman2b
Nope...I emailed the Canadian dealer and he told me they don't tune mini's. Too bad, their shop is only 5 mins away from my work!

Anyone else know of a shop in the Toronto area that can do ECU tune? Shipping the ECU to USA is just too risky, will have to deal with high shipping cost and likely have to pay duty (for something I already own!!)

Old 09-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Tom W
2nd Gear
Nope...I emailed the Canadian dealer and he told me they don't tune mini's. Too bad, their shop is only 5 mins away from my work!

Anyone else know of a shop in the Toronto area that can do ECU tune? Shipping the ECU to USA is just too risky, will have to deal with high shipping cost and likely have to pay duty (for something I already own!!)
Buds BMW in Oakville will tune it for you. My dealer is going to remove my ECU and send it to them and reinstall. I am waiting for a email from my dealer giving the details of the tunes available and their costs.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:01 AM
007-Mini
1st Gear
Tom, please let me know what you hear from your dealer. Budds is where I got my CMS and I talked to them recently about ECU tuning. I was told they don't have the software yet. I hope you have better luck!!

Old 09-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Tom W
2nd Gear
I herd back from the dealer today. Seems there is a problem with the Dinan tunes and it has been pulled from release. He also said there is another option.....so waiting to hear back.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:17 PM
doug_all4
2nd Gear
I asked my dealer to burn my ECU last week with an update for the Countryman to see if it would address the occasional violent bucking that happens at high altitude before my drive through the fall colors of Colorado this weekend. Some of you advised I should go ahead and get that done before shipping the ECU to NM or Renntech.

Wow. Much smoother especially at low RPM. Another side effect is my boost box (TMC Motorsport Tuner Box that supposedly takes it from 183Hp to 212Hp) no longer throws CELs. I'll still have it tuned and take off the Tuner Box since I'd rather have fuel and timing updated instead of just bumping the boost. But just a pulley to bump boost was fine with my old 2003 MCS without retuning. Anyway, with the updated Mini factory tune, my biggest complaint against the TMC box went away. It's like the ECU is no longer as sensitive to out of tolerance conditions as it used to be.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Thought I'd bump this thread to draw out anyone else that tuned with ETG. I am trying to decide between ETG and RennTech. RennTech has a local dealer that can do the tune for me, so no need to ship it. On the other hand, I'll be up in LA/OC and can get it done from ETG pretty easily when I'm there.

ETG is much cheaper ($595 compared to $945 at RennTech), but RennTech's numbers are solid (40 hp/40 torque compared to ??? for ETG) and it has the Sport-button option.

Is there something to the additional $350 that RennTech charges. Does it actually stand for something, or is it a consequence of the fact that they are mostly tuning Mercedes in South Beach and have clientele that will be glad to pay?

I am really looking for a tune that has plenty of acceleration with good low and mid-range power. I don't need all that much up top in a daily driver, obviously. Drive-ability is key.

Thoughts from those with ETG tunes?

Old 10-15-2012, 06:06 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
When I got my tune from ETG I noticed a difference right away, even with the sport button off. As the computer "re-learned" and adapted I noticed a rather large increase in engine power. I'm extremely happy with ETG and the performance gains, even when not in sport mode. In sport mode it's night and day between with, and without the tune.

I don't know what differences RennTech could do that ETG doesn't.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
When I got my tune from ETG I noticed a difference right away, even with the sport button off. As the computer "re-learned" and adapted I noticed a rather large increase in engine power. I'm extremely happy with ETG and the performance gains, even when not in sport mode. In sport mode it's night and day between with, and without the tune.

I don't know what differences RennTech could do that ETG doesn't.
Thanks, 1bigpea. I appreciate the feedback. Do you usually keep it in Sport mode?

One thing I forgot to ask: You have a FWD "S" (no All4) right? If so, did you find that the extra power was wasted on the FWD? You hear a lot about torque steer, etc. I'm hoping with the suspension and sticky tires it won't be an issue for me.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM
1bigpea
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
Thanks, 1bigpea. I appreciate the feedback. Do you usually keep it in Sport mode?

One thing I forgot to ask: You have a FWD "S" (no All4) right? If so, did you find that the extra power was wasted on the FWD? You hear a lot about torque steer, etc. I'm hoping with the suspension and sticky tires it won't be an issue for me.
Anytime Hujan.

Correct, I have the "S" non All4. Im not sure what you mean by extra power wasted on the FWD?? I see the biggest power gains above 4200rpm up to redline with the ETG tune. I do usually keep it in sport mode but there's definitely a difference without SM on as well...

I did drive a ETG tuned All4 before I got my CMS done. The CMS is noticeably faster than the All4 while in SM. I attribute that to it being All4 compared to 2wd.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Anytime Hujan.

Correct, I have the "S" non All4. Im not sure what you mean by extra power wasted on the FWD?? I see the biggest power gains above 4200rpm up to redline with the ETG tune. I do usually keep it in sport mode but there's definitely a difference without SM on as well...

I did drive a ETG tuned All4 before I got my CMS done. The CMS is noticeably faster than the All4 while in SM. I attribute that to it being All4 compared to 2wd.
Basically I'm wondering about torque steer or traction loss/wheel slip on takeoff. You hear a lot about torque steer or the electronic traction control having to engage because the weight gets transferred to the rear as you accelerate, etc. Just wanted to know if you found yourself losing traction or getting torque steer on aggressive starts, etc.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 PM
ayk07
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
Thought I'd bump this thread to draw out anyone else that tuned with ETG. I am trying to decide between ETG and RennTech. RennTech has a local dealer that can do the tune for me, so no need to ship it. On the other hand, I'll be up in LA/OC and can get it done from ETG pretty easily when I'm there.

ETG is much cheaper ($595 compared to $945 at RennTech), but RennTech's numbers are solid (40 hp/40 torque compared to ??? for ETG) and it has the Sport-button option.

Is there something to the additional $350 that RennTech charges. Does it actually stand for something, or is it a consequence of the fact that they are mostly tuning Mercedes in South Beach and have clientele that will be glad to pay?

I am really looking for a tune that has plenty of acceleration with good low and mid-range power. I don't need all that much up top in a daily driver, obviously. Drive-ability is key.

Thoughts from those with ETG tunes?

i would try NM Eng. 500 bucks including shipping.
http://www.nm-eng.com/260/11/0/2875/...ing.html#popUp[products]/0/

Old 10-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ayk07
i would try NM Eng. 500 bucks including shipping.
http://www.nm-eng.com/260/11/0/2875/...ing.html#popUp[products]/0/
NM would be a no brainer. Unfortunately, they can't tune the newest ECUs (built after 02/12). It's too bad because it looks like a great tune.

RennTech and ETG are the only confirmed options right now.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
broussardc
2nd Gear
I talked to NM on the phone today and they didn't mention anything about build date, and he was aware it was a 2012. You may want to call and ask, but I think they have that worked out now.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ECU Tune - Best Mod Yet? Yup!