Drivetrain ECU Tune - Best Mod Yet? Yup!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012 | 08:27 PM
1bigpea
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by GRAZ
Big difference. Throttle response is quicker and the turbo spoils up quicker as well. Witt the SB on its major difference. Only issue is that I can feel it struggling for air. I have no other mods yet just the tune but I can feel it needs more air. Hoping intake and exhaust will help it breathe better. Other than that I recommend it. Getting a little better mpg's as well.
Nice, it's such a better ride with the tune.

Here's my .02cents, just because this is what I have and love it.

Put an AFE HiFlow (sp?) reusable air filter on. (Same as the R56)

Get a new exhaust. The stock is so restrictive on turbo and gasses. Trust me, you'll notice a turbo difference right away.

It Doesn't need to cost a lot to get a lot more out of the ECU Tune. Find a hookup on exhaust and you're under $300 easy.

Of course, I would always love a Down Pipe, FIC, true CAI, ect.

Old 12-08-2012 | 09:59 PM
kaikai114
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 1bigpea
Nice, it's such a better ride with the tune.

Here's my .02cents, just because this is what I have and love it.

Put an AFE HiFlow (sp?) reusable air filter on. (Same as the R56)

Get a new exhaust. The stock is so restrictive on turbo and gasses. Trust me, you'll notice a turbo difference right away.

It Doesn't need to cost a lot to get a lot more out of the ECU Tune. Find a hookup on exhaust and you're under $300 easy.

Of course, I would always love a Down Pipe, FIC, true CAI, ect.
hey 1bigpea, where did you get your magnaflow exhaust done and how much? I'm interesting in getting one too, might also get RSB done while at it, any hookup would be appreciated! :D

Old 12-09-2012 | 05:25 PM
1bigpea
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kaikai114
hey 1bigpea, where did you get your magnaflow exhaust done and how much? I'm interesting in getting one too, might also get RSB done while at it, any hookup would be appreciated! :D
I got it done at Howard's Muffler's in Victorville CA off Mojave Dr. He's been there for over 36 years. Talk to Howard, tell him Dave recommended you because he did great work on my Countryman. He'll take good care of you and do extremely quality work at the same time. He's well known in the hot rod groups...

http://youtu.be/XT-30CjzWdQ

ETA: Sound Clip.

Old 12-09-2012 | 07:34 PM
kaikai114
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 1bigpea
I got it done at Howard's Muffler's in Victorville CA off Mojave Dr. He's been there for over 36 years. Talk to Howard, tell him Dave recommended you because he did great work on my Countryman. He'll take good care of you and do extremely quality work at the same time. He's well known in the hot rod groups...

http://youtu.be/XT-30CjzWdQ

ETA: Sound Clip.
Thanks brotha i will give him a call and post updates

Old 12-11-2012 | 01:17 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Been speaking with Jerry over at NM and I am going to be seeing them my ECU within the next few weeks for a tune.

Old 12-15-2012 | 12:34 AM
evilmini-sg
1st Gear
Wow. Magnaflow sounds really good. Much smoother than JCW. My JCW with intermediate pipe seems to sound not much different from the factory unit. Perhaps I've only driven like 30 minutes on it since installation. I did notice some burbling when I back off the throttle but thats about it. I left the factory resonator intact. Should I remove that to get more....ermmm....sound?

Old 01-10-2013 | 03:49 PM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
My friend has their tune on his 2011 Clubman and has nothing but problems. Over-Boosting non-stop, no real support, no logs were run when the tune was done, tune is a canned tune so it is not a dyno tune.

All sorts of reasons to say no to ETG.

Old 01-10-2013 | 03:53 PM
1bigpea
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jaremy Cheetwood
My friend has their tune on his 2011 Clubman and has nothing but problems. Over-Boosting non-stop, no real support, no logs were run when the tune was done, tune is a canned tune so it is not a dyno tune.

All sorts of reasons to say no to ETG.
Still no problems here.

Did your friend get back in touch with ETG and have them reset the ECU and do it again? The guys over at ETG have been extremely responsive to all me always.

Old 01-10-2013 | 03:54 PM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
He has been over there a few times trying to get it resolved.

He is hitting boost numbers way above what the MAP sensor can see (25psi).

ETG tried to blame exhaust when clearly its from the tune.. boost is ECU controlled. Car ends up in limp mode on the regular. When the car was tuned logs should have been done before, after and during the tune.

Not how I would conduct business, and other tuners for all sorts of cars always run logs.

Old 01-10-2013 | 04:05 PM
1bigpea
|
4th Gear
He has been over there a few times trying to get it resolved.

He is hitting boost numbers way above what the MAP sensor can see (25psi).

ETG tried to blame exhaust when clearly its from the tune.. boost is ECU controlled. Car ends up in limp mode on the regular. When the car was tuned logs should have been done before, after and during the tune.

Not how I would conduct business, and other tuners for all sorts of cars always run logs.
Damn, that sucks....

Old 01-10-2013 | 04:11 PM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Yeah I pray we get it resolved.. but doesnt seem to be getting the traction we are looking for with them. I guess I am going to have to go down there with him and explain it to the guy. I just dont understand why someone who tune boost to levels the MAP sensor cant even read. An "S" map sensor is only good for 21-22PSI at max, and a K03 cant really flow enough air to support 25PSI.

Old 02-05-2013 | 06:20 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Has anyone found a vendor that can tune the newer ECU? NM is still out :/

Old 02-05-2013 | 07:00 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj
Has anyone found a vendor that can tune the newer ECU? NM is still out :/
renntech

Old 02-05-2013 | 07:21 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
renntech
I so don't want to pay a grand and a rental car while my ecu is out........ But I will probably do it if someone else doesn't figure it out soon

Old 02-05-2013 | 08:36 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj
I so don't want to pay a grand and a rental car while my ecu is out........ But I will probably do it if someone else doesn't figure it out soon
ETG can tune the newer ECUs. While you'll still be without your car for a bit, it is half the cost of the RennTech tune.

Old 02-06-2013 | 08:24 AM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
ETG can tune the newer ECUs. While you'll still be without your car for a bit, it is half the cost of the RennTech tune.
And it wont run properly. My friend is having the tune removed after multiple trips back to him with no results. Then he blamed the boost gauge for causing the car to overboost.

Either way, he is going to RMW, which RMW can tune the ECU of the new cars and has a much better track record than any other tuner on here.

Ill let you all make that choice but there are options.

Old 02-06-2013 | 08:29 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
And it wont run properly. My friend is having the tune removed after multiple trips back to him with no results. Then he blamed the boost gauge for causing the car to overboost.

Either way, he is going to RMW, which RMW can tune the ECU of the new cars and has a much better track record than any other tuner on here.

Ill let you all make that choice but there are options.

Gotcha. Is your friend the one with the Clubman? I think I remember reading those posts, which is what made me hesitate to go with ETG myself.

How do you know the boldfaced part is true? Not questioning the accuracy of that statement, but just want to be sure you are not making an assumption. I e-mailed Jan a couple months ago and he wasn't sure at the time whether it was something he could do or not.

Old 02-06-2013 | 08:33 AM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Gotcha. Is your friend the one with the Clubman? I think I remember reading those posts, which is what made me hesitate to go with ETG myself.

How do you know the boldfaced part is true? Not questioning the accuracy of that statement, but just want to be sure you are not making an assumption. I e-mailed Jan a couple months ago and he wasn't sure at the time whether it was something he could do or not.
My friend is the one with the clubman. I have talked to jan and his associates about this tune among other things. I would say the boldfaced part is true cause after we go get this ETG tune off his clubman it is going to RMW where it should have gone the first time.

What really amazes me with ETG is my friend has been back like 4-5 times and I have yet to hear of him running logs on the car. How can someone tune a car and not data log anything especially when the car is coming back with problems every time.

I have heard other things about this tuner and R53s but you can PM me if you want to talk about that not going to dirty the waters anymore. But after seeing what my friend has gone through and the unprofessional calls he has made to my friend for me posting says enough to me.

Old 02-06-2013 | 05:27 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
My friend is the one with the clubman. I have talked to jan and his associates about this tune among other things. I would say the boldfaced part is true cause after we go get this ETG tune off his clubman it is going to RMW where it should have gone the first time.

What really amazes me with ETG is my friend has been back like 4-5 times and I have yet to hear of him running logs on the car. How can someone tune a car and not data log anything especially when the car is coming back with problems every time.

I have heard other things about this tuner and R53s but you can PM me if you want to talk about that not going to dirty the waters anymore. But after seeing what my friend has gone through and the unprofessional calls he has made to my friend for me posting says enough to me.
Gotcha. Yeah, the information you posted definitely sounded like a frustrating experience. I have to say, I've had only a good customer service experience with the rep from ETG that I've talked with, but I have no reason to doubt what you're saying.

Anyway, good to know about Jan. If Jan were willing and able, that would probably be my first choice.

Old 02-06-2013 | 07:44 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
One thing I forgot to ask: You have a FWD "S" (no All4) right? If so, did you find that the extra power was wasted on the FWD? You hear a lot about torque steer, etc. I'm hoping with the suspension and sticky tires it won't be an issue for me.
One word... Limited Slip Differential (). On Friday I install a Helix SSK and will pull the ECU and send to NM. My next major buy will be the Quaife LSD and H&R Front Sway Bar. I figure that along with my other mods, that might fix the problem.

Old 02-07-2013 | 07:17 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
One word... Limited Slip Differential (). On Friday I install a Helix SSK and will pull the ECU and send to NM. My next major buy will be the Quaife LSD and H&R Front Sway Bar. I figure that along with my other mods, that might fix the problem.
Isn't that three words? That thing does look sweet, Mel. Thanks for posting it. Only one prob: Doesn't appear to be for the R60.

Also, let me ask: What is your goal with the bigger front sway bar? Does it have an effect on torque steer? Makes sense that it would, I suppose. Otherwise, I'd think it would make the car understeer more.

Old 02-07-2013 | 07:54 AM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Depending on the MCS and how it was ordered it may have an LSD in it all ready. Especially if it is a JCW.

I just did a JCW trans swap with a quaife LSD. Cant complain.

Old 02-07-2013 | 09:31 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Isn't that three words? That thing does look sweet, Mel. Thanks for posting it. Only one prob: Doesn't appear to be for the R60.

Also, let me ask: What is your goal with the bigger front sway bar? Does it have an effect on torque steer? Makes sense that it would, I suppose. Otherwise, I'd think it would make the car understeer more.
I DO have to apologize, I am an MCS/R56 guy so perhaps not of great help to the Countryman crowd but maybe the basics are the same. I started all of this two years ago as kind of a (47 yr old) newb mod-wise. That's why I come down a little hard on the "I just bought a MINI, tell me how to make it faster,etc" people on these forums. I have spent many many hours reading and studying and learning to make The Dread Pirate all he can be. My parts list is part of my grand plan. I don't know it all. Far from it. Many, like MNIPWR, know WAY more than I do and probably always will. I will keep trudging on however. Front sway bar-wise, I think that it will balance everything else I have done to give me more neutral steering. Like something I read from you (I think) on NAM, Hujan, I am a little worried about going from understeer to oversteer and am thinking that a little more beef on the front will cancel it out. Seems it (and the LSD) may help just a little to keep after NM tune torque monster tamed and keep my front wheels from spinning every time I hit the throttle. Please, anybody let me know if I'm wrong here. I'm always open to knowledge.

Old 02-07-2013 | 09:40 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
I DO have to apologize, I am an MCS guy so maybe not of great help to the Countryman crowd but maybe the basics are the same. I started all of this two years ago as kind of a (47 yr old) newb mod-wise. That's why I come down a little hard on the "I just bought a MINI, tell me how to make it faster,etc" people on these forums. I have spent many many hours reading and studying and learning to make The Dread Pirate all he can be. My parts list is part of my grand plan. I don't know it all. Far from it. Many, like MNIPWR, know WAY more than I do and probably always will. I will keep trudging on however. Front sway bar-wise, I think that it will balance everything else I have done to give me more neutral steering. Like something I read from you (I think) on NAM, Hujan, I am a little worried about going from understeer to oversteer and am thinking that a little more beef on the front will cancel it out. Seems it (and the LSD) may help just a little to keep after NM tune torque monster a little tamed and keep my front wheels from spinning every time I hit the throttle. Please, anybody let me know if I'm wrong here. I'm always open to knowledge.

No need to apologize, Mel! I enjoy reading your posts. You're an asset to the community and quite knowledgable aside from being a very nice guy. I'll try to avoid taking this thread (about tuning) too much further off topic than I already have, but suffice it to say I appreciate your thoughts about how to get the additional power from a tune to the ground. You've give me something to think about!

Old 02-11-2013 | 06:53 PM
Sapps
1st Gear
Lenny @ Renntech is amazing at what he does. He tuned my 2013 CM in person in Florida, 40HP+ is a major difference. No drivability issues, no lights, cant tell any difference from OEM till you hit that sport button!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ECU Tune - Best Mod Yet? Yup!