Drivetrain New turbo issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 08:24 AM
Ginger Hulk
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New turbo issue

All, this is my first post, so sorry if it is in the wrong place.2012 Mini Countryman S 70,700 miles, put a NM CAI on when I bought it.

Put a new HPFP on it about 3 months in.

Current Problem:

All started with white/blue smoke coming out of the tailpipes…only owned the car for about 6 months. Had it looked at by 2 different shops, one being a mini dealer, was told that it was a bad turbo by both.

Long story short, did the work myself and replaced/added:

· JMTC 40mm JCW turbo (new oil lines, gaskets, bolts)

· Upgraded coils

· Upgraded Spark plugs

· High flow cat’d downpipe

· Intercooler

Fired right up, no issues, felt like a new car…great response…old turbo was definitely shot. I live on a base, so just drove around 25-30mph for the next couple of days, just giving it the softer “break in” treatment. 3 days after install, took the wife out for a drive and headed for the interstate. Got on the interstate, man the car felt good….started pushing more and more, the acceleration compared to what I had previously experienced was awesome. As I was heading up a hill, I went to pass and aggressively (nothing extreme) accelerated past a car…felt my car shudder and looked down and it had gone into limp mode. Pulled off to the side, checked the codes and restarted the car. I got a P0420, P325F, and one for too rich that I can’t remember. I didn’t go above 50mph and made sure not to put too much strain on the engine going up hills and effectively “limped” home.

I then started working with people on figuring out what was causing this….it was beyond me. Talking with a tuner, he suggested that the diverter valve in the replacement turbo could be bad…so I replaced that with another OEM diverter valve. Talking with a rep from JMTC about the turbo, they told me I need to get rid of some of the back pressure coming from the exhaust system due to oil probably getting by the bad turbo and clogging up the system. So I proceeded to get a new exhaust put on. Over the following 2 weeks while waiting for the new exhaust, I continued driving the car just back and forth to work (4 miles roundtrip and only 25 mph). When I would turn the car on, I would notice botht he engine and the turbo surging…like the turbo was trying to figure out the boost level or something. Other than that, no perceived issues.

Had the new exhaust put on (Magna-flow Cat back + res and 2nd cat delete), reset all current codes (P0420, P325F, and one for too rich that I can’t remember), I started driving back home. I brought the dashboard up for my OBD reader and started monitoring my eng temps and boost levels. Let the care get in the normal temp range (8ish mins later), pulled onto the interstate and started pushing the car a little more. Did 3 different tests of starting at 45ish mph and then moderately accelerating up to 70 mph and then slowing back down to reset. All were awesome. The car felt good, slight hesitations, but I am planning on getting it tuned which should solve all those. But way better performance than it has had since the Turbo change. I was like “Praise God, the problem is solved!” I brought it back home and parked it. About an hour later, a neighbor called that needed a jump. So I took the car, went and jumped their car. Decided, it was a nice evening for a drive, pulled out on the road and started heading toward the interstate. Hit the interstate and started speeding up, went to go pass a car and hit the acceleration aggressively, but nothing extreme, saw boost about 11psi and then felt the car shudder and go into limp mode. I pulled off and restarted the car. Started towards home, had it happen again at only 7ish psi of boost. Stopped again, restarted, and went home at 30mph.

Here is a screen shot of what I was recording at the time:

[img]file:///C:/Users/129058~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png[/img]

So, my problem still is not fixed. The car still puts itself into limp mode as soon as it is warm and boost reaches any sort of level over 5-6psi and over 45 MPH.

Here is a picture of what is showing after I reset the codes:[img]file:///C:/Users/129058~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.png[/img]

And here is what the car looks like when I start up in the morning cold:

(car 1)

I don’t know if it has anything to do with it….but the surging just doesn’t feel right to me. It only does it first start up…or if it has sat again all day. I can make the surging stop if I put it in gear and start moving…really weird.

Anyways, I am at the end of my rope. I have now put over 6k into this thing since I bought it. I have no clue what to do next…and I have no money to “try” anything either. I am looking for any thoughts of what could be the issue. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2020, 01:14 PM
Jeremyj
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having this same issue with a jmtc turbo and was told about the dp so.switching to high flow cat tomorrow. my surging happens when boost is spooling under accel. my Torque app showed a very high fuel air mix (sometimes maxed out on the dial). I believe the turbo is pushing to much air and causing mix issues I am switching spark plugs to go colder even though there is no tune yet. I did receive limp codes as well when I first accelerated past 3k rpm but did lose power. I have the codes at home and I can add later. couple questions for you: did you adjust boost when you got the turbo? whats it set to? did you need a walnut blast?

Old 01-30-2020, 02:00 PM
Ginger Hulk
Neutral

Originally Posted by Jeremyj
I am having this same issue with a jmtc turbo and was told about the dp so.switching to high flow cat tomorrow. my surging happens when boost is spooling under accel. my Torque app showed a very high fuel air mix (sometimes maxed out on the dial). I believe the turbo is pushing to much air and causing mix issues I am switching spark plugs to go colder even though there is no tune yet. I did receive limp codes as well when I first accelerated past 3k rpm but did lose power. I have the codes at home and I can add later. couple questions for you: did you adjust boost when you got the turbo? whats it set to? did you need a walnut blast?
I did not adjust the boost and I did not do the treatment.

I just found out my issue was a loose IC pipe on the hot side...o well.

Sounds like your wastegate might be off?

Old 01-30-2020, 02:03 PM
Ginger Hulk
Neutral
Smile Fixed!

Found out my entire problem as a loose hose connecting on the hot side down at the bottom to the Intercooler. So now I feel stupid...
O well, it drives amazing and I can't wait for the Tune from Mario...going with a Stage 2 plus sports button option.

The following users liked this post:
AWD_Rally (02-08-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 02:42 PM
Jeremyj
1st Gear
well I hope my issue is as easily fixed. Ill check that as well, mini of Wichita installed it so that SHOULDNT be the case but you never know.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:23 AM
AWD_Rally

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Glad you were able to find the issue and fix it. What is the exducer size on the JMTC 40mm turbo?

Old 02-08-2020, 07:34 AM
Jeremyj
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremyj
well I hope my issue is as easily fixed. Ill check that as well, mini of Wichita installed it so that SHOULDNT be the case but you never know.
Update- Install was the issue. They used the stock heat shield and did not reform it so it was binding up the wastegate actuator. Little hammer work later refitted shield without the front screw and she works like a dream