R60 How to carry lots of stuff with your CM, part II

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to carry lots of stuff with your CM, part II

This is a followup to a thread I started the other day
(link: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...es-part-i.html)

Here I have a hitch cargo carrier and a Thule Atlantis 1600XT roof cargo carrier.

View from back, showing the width of the hitch carrier which is 60 in. and the Thule which fits on the CM roof nicely. You can get a narrower version which would allow you to carry one or even two bikes (as posted by another user). This model is 16 cu ft. There are even larger ones up to 21 cu ft, but that would likely be too large. The 16 holds a lot of stuff. You can go on a serious road trip with four people.

The bin is actually my garbage bin. I don't have garbage service. This is actually one month's worth of garbage for a family of four. I recycle and compost a lot so landfill waste is greatly reduced. But carrying it outside the car is a huge benefit, tust me.

This is a closeup of how the roof box mounts. Very clever design. The box opens either side and you just tighten a nut inside by hand to clamp the rails.

The tailgate clears the roof box. Note I had to remove the antenna. I ordered a flexible stubby antenna to replace it.

Tailgate clears cargo carrier with stuff on it no problem.

Driver side of the roof cargo box open. You can open either side which is very convenient. If you don't have anything inside the box, the bottom side will rattle against the roof rails over bumps and rough roads. Helps to keep something in there like a blanket or two to prevent this if this bothers you.

Finally, I lined the bottom of the boot well by cutting a piece of rubber to fit which I bought at Lowe's for $8 or $9. It's made to go underneath industrial carpet I think, but it has ridges which is nice for trapping dirt and helps stops things from sliding around.

I always carry a good floor pump in my cars. I can pump up a car tire with it and can rely on it to always work. I also carry a bottle of slime and a tire repair kit but I won't need this until the run-flats wear out and are replaced (However, I actually don't mind the run-flats and don't find them overly harsh).

Old 09-15-2011, 02:37 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Nice to be able to travel without the clutter inside the car
When on a trip, how hot does the rear cargo carrrier get from the exhaust pipes ?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 AM
Sealy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sirbikes
How to carry lots of stuff with your CM, part II
Looking at these pics of add ons, boxes, racks, bikes, etc - - - makes me wonder if anyone makes a truss for the Countryman.

Sealy - Who's Zaftig is unencumbered.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:25 AM
tippykayak
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, very nice. And super helpful for other CM owners thinking about different ways to carry stuff.

It looks like you took out the standard MINI tools entirely and replaced them with the pump and the slime kit? I was wondering what the jack is really useful for. Can you think of any reason why I wouldn't take it out?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:35 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write-up and pics sirbikes! Thanks for posting.

How far out is the hitch carrier from the back of the car at its furthest point?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
Don't know yet. But I'll check that next time I need to carry some stuff.

Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
Nice to be able to travel without the clutter inside the car
When on a trip, how hot does the rear cargo carrrier get from the exhaust pipes ?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:18 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
With run flats ... not much. So I just took it out for now.

Originally Posted by tippykayak
Wow, very nice. And super helpful for other CM owners thinking about different ways to carry stuff.

It looks like you took out the standard MINI tools entirely and replaced them with the pump and the slime kit? I was wondering what the jack is really useful for. Can you think of any reason why I wouldn't take it out?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:29 PM
sirbikes
3rd Gear
About 30 in.

The two bike rack sticks out 33 in. And with the two bike extension it's 54 in. out

Originally Posted by bentyyc
How far out is the hitch carrier from the back of the car at its furthest point?