1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 Beep w/lock & unlock

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:13 PM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beep w/lock & unlock

When using the remote to lock/unlock the doors the hazard lights will flash, and you'll also hear the door lock actuators if you're in a somewhat quiet environment. We want to enable the audible chirp/beep sound though.

In the owners manual, on page 24-25 it shows how you can choose the "setting confirmation signals". They show the options being:
A) hazard lights flash
B) an acoustic sound
C) both light and sound (what we want)
D) off - no light or sound

However, when I follow the procedure in the manual, and I get to the final step, it only gives me two options; lights flash or off.

I did a search and found one thread here (but not sure if it was R60 specific or general MINI) about this. There were several posters that said the sound of the doors locking was loud enough, and that nobody needs the audible beep... So that was zero help There was also one poster that said you had to buy some type of additional alarm system. The manual says nothing about this; it clearly shows, and talks about, the standard remote with no mention of an auxiliary alarm. Has anyone (with a USA-spec R60) tried this procedure outlined on pages 24-25 of the owner's manual to get it to beep?

At the beginning of the "controls" section of the manual, on page 22, it does mention that not all features are available in all countries, but I guess you're left to guess which features and which countries aren't compatible since they don't bother to tell you. I can't however imagine why this feature would be omitted on US spec cars since it's standard on just about every car sold here.

Sometimes when you're walking away from the car, you hit the lock button on the remote and you don't, for whatever reason, hear the door actuators. So then, since there's no beep, you stop walking, turn around, and hit lock once again, just to confirm, and nothing... no beep, no light flash, nothing. If there is no beep option then you'd think they could at least make it so you'd get a light flash again when you press the button a second time. What car in this day and age doesn't do that?

It may sound like a minor complaint to the "you don't need a beep" crowd, but in the real world, when you're leaving the car carrying grocery bags, or trying to quickly get to cover in the rain, it's nice to hear the beep rather then having to stand there looking at the car trying to figure out if it locked or not. Not having the beep is a nuisance, especially after you've became accustomed to it on every other car you've had for the past 15 years.

Last edited by MotoGreg; 08-25-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:28 PM
PepeR60
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have the factory alarm? Pretty sure I read somewhere that the audible beep only works with the alarm, which I unfortunately do not have, but wish I could get a beep as well.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 PM
adrianaq17
1st Gear
Mine does not beep either and I really miss it. I also followed the instructions from the manual and I do not have the beep option. Mega bummer. When I saw this thread I was hoping a solution was found. :(

Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 PM
52804x4
5th Gear
Yep. . .Only available if you have factory alarm! One of the few things that really got under my skin when I picked up the car. Not sure why but, an audible chirp is just kind of reassuring, and piece of mind for some reason.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:50 PM
MsBrit
4th Gear
Originally Posted by adrianaq17
Mine does not beep either and I really miss it. I also followed the instructions from the manual and I do not have the beep option. Mega bummer. When I saw this thread I was hoping a solution was found. :(
I have the alarm system and I do get the beep when I lock the doors. I've owned 4 MINI's prior to this one and neither one had an alarm nor did a beep sound when l locked the doors. So I would assume the "beep" is only a setup option with an alarm system.

MsBrit

Old 08-26-2012, 10:59 AM
PepeR60
2nd Gear
Yah, had I known I would have bought the alarm just for this feature. Really annoying to have a line of sight to your light to know if you locked the car or not. You figure on non alarm cars they could have wired the audible alert feature to the horn.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Trust me, your neighbors aren't missing it.....

Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
when i took delievery of my cms all4, it was locked in the showroom, i did not order the factory alarm system

the sales associate unlocked the car with the fob and the horn honked, scaring a small child standing in front of the car with his mom and dad so much he burst out crying

i told the SA i wanted the sound turned off, so he showed me how to do the obc programming (i had already read the OM i downloaded from the mini owner's lounge, so had the general jist of it)

anyway, got to the correct submenu and had the following choices:
A) hazard lights flash
B) an acoustic sound
C) both light and sound

i told the SA to pick D) off

now, if i go back in to that menu, the only choices i have are
A) hazard lights flash
D) off - no light

the sound option is gone!

scott

Old 08-26-2012, 03:07 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
Trust me, your neighbors aren't missing it.....
+1

Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Zazoh
2nd Gear
I thought I needed this too. I was disappointed it didn't. After a few months, I don't even know why I wanted it.

The locks are loud enough for me to hear when locking and unlocking.

Lights flash once for lock, twice for unlock. If you leave your headlights in on position, when you unlock the parking lights come on.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 AM
MotoGreg
3rd Gear
anyway, got to the correct submenu and had the following choices:
A) hazard lights flash
B) an acoustic sound
C) both light and sound

i told the SA to pick D) off

now, if i go back in to that menu, the only choices i have are
A) hazard lights flash
D) off - no light

the sound option is gone!

That's how mine is, the option is gone. I don't want a horn honk, that's too loud, of course the neighbors wouldn't like that, no news flash there. I just want the standard beep like most cars have that is audible and helpful, yet not loud enough to annoy people or scare children.

Last edited by MotoGreg; 08-27-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:01 PM
WeaverNH
2nd Gear
I just checked it on a Goodwood and the option is there. Granted it was easier in the settings of the Nav screen, but it is also in there in the "regular" setting. There is an audio off setting.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Pete1burn
2nd Gear
The actual audible alarm is an option from MINI. I was peeved when I found out. My MA said well its the same for insurance purposes. That wasnt really the point. Every single car I've ever owned comes with a factory alarm but they want to charge you more for it.

In any case the answer is if you didn't get the alarm as an option you will not be able to get a beep when you lock the car. Nor will an alarm go off if someone breaks in to your car.