R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:29 AM
NickChuck
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a Light White with peeling trim.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 AM
4GAZM
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark Bielick
That didn't take long:
Originally Posted by Mark Bielick

So far, there are vehicle builds from March, April, May, and June, that have the defect. Additionally, new deliveries, and "new" replacement strips installed in July have failed. There is NO WAY this is related to a "bad Batch" of product from the vendor.

MINI simply screwed up the design.

Now, they need to fix it. Simply putting more of the same cr#p out in the field will not fix the problem.

If they do come up with a fix (like the usual 'metal over plastic' trim instead of cheap tape) they will need to replace all the trim on all the cars. I don't think the vehicle would look good a year or two from now with 1/2 the trim in tape, and 1/2 in metal.

Mark

exzacley! this will cost them a pretty penny! hence why companies hate big recalls but I bet you this will end that way. cost reduction is fine and if the part worked the way it was intended it nobody would notice it.... the problem is, this issue should have shown up during real world testing, but just seeing the full batch of countrymen MINI's all with peeling trim shows me this is more than just an isolated case. we had a cost reduction on a wiper motor, it was a small plastic grommet that cost under a buck but saved a few hundred thousand dollars over the product line, well someone didn’t do their home work and the testing was not done and failures soon happened. ended up costing over 8 million in warranty claims...... companies need to get it through their head that cost reduction is fine when the customer cannot see it, otherwise don’t touch it.......and if they do go through with it, it should be tested properly and gone through the motions... then bad PR like this won’t happen.. but it’s clearly made me wonder what else they cheapened out on which scares me into trusting the product...
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 08-03-2011, 02:27 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
well said.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Alien88
Neutral
Glad I found this thread. The chrome strip on the bonnet is undersized and peeling on my Countryman. Production date of March on mine.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 PM
bbruins1
1st Gear
Note from my MA

Hello Wayne,
This is going to be a permanent fix with new trims being available MINI is not releasing the same product number from the factory. And are going to issue a new replacement part. There is a delay until that part comes back into stock. All the way back to Germany. *Once we have a set and permanent fix for you I will give you a call.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:06 AM
trowski99
Neutral
A few more details...what my MA shared:

To: Service Managers, Shop Foremen, and Technicians

Subject: 2011 MINI Countryman (R60) Chrome Trim Peeling

We are aware of the situation regarding the exterior chrome trim pieces peeling. This is due to the excessive heat and humidity we have experienced in recent months. The replacement parts have not been effective.

A Special Task Force was established in Germany last month to find the root cause and provide a repair solution. We have learned the affected production range is from 3/2011 to present.

We apologize for the inconvenience and ask for your patience while we investigate this problem and provide a solution.

Technical Service

Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Tahoe Ed
1st Gear
Just picked up my CS CM S ALL4 from the dealer today. Both rear quarter trim pieces were already damaged. I spoke to the service manager and since neither of us had a clue when a permanent fix will be available, he is ordering two new pieces. Thanks to the good folks here, I knew what to look for when I picked up the car!!!

Old 08-12-2011, 03:54 AM
Larrypss
Neutral
this thread has answered alot of questions before my trip to the dealer. I would be happy if they would peel my chrome and then black it out. I have a red CM s with a white top. I just bought it a week ago.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 AM
MC_Sean
1st Gear
Add me to the list. 3/11 build date. Noticed chrome tape peeling from trim on the boot less than a week after delivery. At first glance looked dented. May have been there all along. Chrome tape around windshield is also shrinking to expose plastic underneath, but is not peeling off. Mine is Pure Orange with Black roof/mirrors/wheels. I think the blacked out look is the way to go for me. Although, I'm going to alert my MA of the problem so he can add me to the list to get the updated parts when/if they arrive. If it's the same old crappy plastic covered with chrome tape, I'll be disappointed. I was very surprised to see how cheap they went on this trim. I love my CMS, but the build quality and overall quality of materials is sub-standard compared to my 2004 MC40 (R.I.P.). Lots of little rattles and annoyances. Luckily I've got the pop and barble of the sport mode to drown most of it out. (-; Still love this car though!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Justmenmymini
3rd Gear
MC_Sean, we have the same color combo and I've thought of blacking out the beltline as a permanent fix also. But there's the part of me that wants this fixed right. I don't want Mini saying that it was my fault when I applied the tape.

So far I have no peeling but I'm watching and waiting, knowing it's inevitable. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I can't imagine finding this flaw and not being prepared.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 AM
KevinAndJohn
Neutral
Luckily we caught ours before delivery and notified our Motoring Advisor. they're on the lookout for the fix, as both the sales manager and dealership owner have Countrymen with the exact same affliction. As soon as anyone has any info on the permanent fix, (esp. a TSB # or part #'s) please notify the group so that we can all reach out to our dealerships right away... THX all!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 AM
MC_Sean
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Justmenmymini
MC_Sean, we have the same color combo and I've thought of blacking out the beltline as a permanent fix also. But there's the part of me that wants this fixed right. I don't want Mini saying that it was my fault when I applied the tape.
Yeah, I'm a little hesitant to do the black-out mod without some assurance that they won't use this as an excuse to not honor the warranty claim. Ideally, I'd like to go ahead and black it out. Then, when the permanent fix is available, simply get the parts from them so I would be able to put them on down the road if I wanted to put it back to stock. I doubt they would do it though.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 PM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
I blacked mine out after I went to the dealer and showed him that it was peeling. They replaced the peeling pieces and then I blacked them out. Now they are peeling. I called the dealer and he just put me on the list for replacement parts when they become available. I doubt they can fight it much. Its a super wide spread problem. But if your worried, do what I did and visit the dealer so they can send the claim. Then go peel the chrome and black it out. It looks way better IMO..

Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 PM
stevendoll
2nd Gear
I was in the dealer looking at a a CM, and saw this BS trim on the car. The early R50/R53s had some bugs, but wow, this is really out there in terms of poor build quality. I pray that this is not a sign of things to come.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:41 PM
zekemini#3
1st Gear
Caved and let my CM put the temporary fix on last weekend the 13th, because my car looked so bad. They replaced the six failing trim pieces out of 10. Its the 19th, 2 pieces have shrunk, one of the short ones has a bubble on the end. Ugh. I know its temporary, but this is ridiculous on a new car.
I got a MINI service satisfaction survey and while my service department is great I said I wanted corporate MINI phone call. When I talked to MINI about it, dude tells me that MINI was not aware of this problem with the Countryman...um, wth? Needless to say I come off of some words I probably shouldn't have. I have made 3 calls to corporate MINI about this trim issue myself. I know I'm a nobody but d#&n. Every Countryman on Roadshow MINIs lot in Memphis has this issue. EVERYONE. The one on the showroom floor has pieces on it that are 1/4 inch short. MINI should be ashamed.
Needless to say, this not a problem that is going to be fixed anytime soon.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:42 PM
minikari
2nd Gear
I just posted this on another thread, but I'll copy and paste the update about the chrome trim here as well;
So, good news and bad news. I guess all the pre-March trim was from a factory in japan...that got destroyed in the tsunami. After that, they commisioned another company to do the chrome trim from scratch....and they effed it up. They know the problem which is good, but the bad news is that factory in Japan is still unoperable, so even though rumors have been flying around about october good chrome, I doubt it is going to haopen. You can get red or black beltline tape at outmotoring.com in the meantime.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 PM
bradrulz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by zekemini#3
Caved and let my CM put the temporary fix on last weekend the 13th, because my car looked so bad. They replaced the six failing trim pieces out of 10. Its the 19th, 2 pieces have shrunk, one of the short ones has a bubble on the end. Ugh. I know its temporary, but this is ridiculous on a new car.
I got a MINI service satisfaction survey and while my service department is great I said I wanted corporate MINI phone call. When I talked to MINI about it, dude tells me that MINI was not aware of this problem with the Countryman...um, wth? Needless to say I come off of some words I probably shouldn't have. I have made 3 calls to corporate MINI about this trim issue myself. I know I'm a nobody but d#&n. Every Countryman on Roadshow MINIs lot in Memphis has this issue. EVERYONE. The one on the showroom floor has pieces on it that are 1/4 inch short. MINI should be ashamed.
Needless to say, this not a problem that is going to be fixed anytime soon.
Mini told me the exact same time after I called them twice. First time was after the initial failure and the 2nd was after all of them were replaced and started having issue within about a week. Each time I called they said they were unaware of any issue like this with the Countryman.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Mark Bielick
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
minikari,

Are you speculating about the cause being a move from a supplier in Japan, to a supplier in Europe? Or do you have something from MINI or BMW stating that is what occured?
I find it hard to believe that a company like BMW would change sourcing in such a manner without going through a new supplier product testing program. I have run a manufacturing operation that supplied castings to BMW in the past, and I can tell you that no supplier would be allowed to produce product without going through vigorous test program before approval. Maybe MINI short changed their own new supplier development program, and brought these guys on without testing? If so, then the responsibility is all MINI's.

Mark

Old 08-20-2011, 07:24 AM
ALL4TURBO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bradrulz
Mini told me the exact same time after I called them twice. First time was after the initial failure and the 2nd was after all of them were replaced and started having issue within about a week. Each time I called they said they were unaware of any issue like this with the Countryman.
My story is the same... You know the dealers know... I've gone black.. Looks good, but I recommend peeling any chrome off that even shows weakness before blacking out.. I have a few pieces now that have peeled that I have to replace. Its never ending!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:17 PM
swaginwagon
1st Gear
Add me to the list. I will update you tomorrow on the new state of this issue.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Funkzilla
Neutral
Took delivery Saturday, noticed as soon as we got home...called. I was told by my MA they have even halted building some 2012's until they get the issue solved.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:53 PM
ALIENLOVE
2nd Gear
I have the same problem on my hood trim now and took my CM to my dealer and they said MINI is aware of the problem and will be fixed soon but my question is will they replace only peeled trim or all of them on the car? I dont want to take my car 10 times for each trim seperately.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Miniblue2
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm 100-percent sure all the trim on every Countryman produced with the defective trim will be replaced. Cut off is sometime in March. I don't know if the 2012's will have the same problem, hope the fix is in before they are produced.

Mine was a December build and I don't expect the trim to be replaced.

Bill

Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 AM
timster121
2nd Gear
Noticed the same problem on my CM this afternoon. Trim around the windshield is peeling like crazy.

I was going to wait until I take it in for the first maintenance to mention it (the Mini dealer isn't exactly convenient for me to get to).

Wonder if there's any merit in calling and mentioning it before I bring it in?

Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 AM
callahan00
5th Gear
since you are not close to your dealercall them ASAP. The replacemenmt is on back order so it will take around 4 to 6 weeks [maybe longer] to get the replacement. Closely inspect ALL the chrome beltline to get an inventory of the parts your dealer will need to order. Look for shrinkage on the ends. As soon as it starts shrinking it will soon start to peel. We have peeling on the right D pillar and shrinkage on the windshield, left D pillar and both passenger doors. The windshield is starting to loosen. You will not be able to just show up on a maint. visit and have them replace it while you are there unless they have already ordered the pieces. It is back ordered and they are not stocking this right now. Our MA said it takes about an hour to replace.

Quick Reply: Chrome Trim Peeling after 7-days