R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Steering problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Knownman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is specific to individual cars. I also live in Jersey. The transitions are pretty rough here

How is Redding doing? I used to live in Whitmore!

P.s.

Try running in normal mode. The shocks get tighter with sport and control the body roll/lean more which would hide some of the effect.

Not sure where you're at but I know there are some crappy roads on your way to Eureka. Can't remember the highway is it 299? Also out by Shasta Lake the roads are poor.

Last edited by Knownman; 05-01-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM
JasonCarp
2nd Gear
Car needs to be driven, which on occasion means holding the wheel at 10 and 2 with a firm grip. Grip it and rip it!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 PM
DR61
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Knownman
I think it is specific to individual cars. I also live in Jersey. The transitions are pretty rough here

How is Redding doing? I used to live in Whitmore!

P.s.

Try running in normal mode. The shocks get tighter with sport and control the body roll/lean more which would hide some of the effect.

Not sure where you're at but I know there are some crappy roads on your way to Eureka. Can't remember the highway is it 299? Also out by Shasta Lake the roads are poor.
Enjoying living here after many years in the Bay Area. I drove to Eureka and back the first week with the car. Great fun driving on 299 through the Trinity River country! I was part of the time in Sport and part normal; didn't feel any bump steer either way; just better steering feel with Sport on. I have sport suspension and 17" tires so these may be part of the equation to reduce bump steer.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:49 AM
days-like-this
4th Gear
After being without runflats now for 6 months I haven't had to deal with this issue...until last week...when I was given a 2012 Cooper S loaner with 16" rims and runflats. Bump steer is back. It's the runflats (even on this Cooper)!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:07 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Try running in normal mode. The shocks get tighter with sport
No, they don't. I wish people would stop spreading this myth.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
Excuse me!

Originally Posted by chrunck
No, they don't. I wish people would stop spreading this myth.

I'm sorry I guess this mode tightens up the steering response and I assumed it was the shocks.

Next time why don't you offer up an explanation instead of a complaint.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
Got a loaner CMSA4 yesterday and it has run flats from Perelli versus the Conti's on ours. I don't notice any bump steer with this car on the same roads that ours has a pronounced problem.

Told the service advisor about the problem. In addition to foru other current issues. We'll see what comes out of it. This is the last chance repair for this vehicle.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM
52804x4
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got a loaner CMSA4 yesterday and it has run flats from Perelli versus the Conti's on ours. I don't notice any bump steer with this car on the same roads that ours has a pronounced problem.

Told the service advisor about the problem. In addition to foru other current issues. We'll see what comes out of it. This is the last chance repair for this vehicle.
I have the Perelli's on mine, and still get really bad bump steer! After reading in a few threads about dropping the air pressure to 38# in the Perelli tires I gave it a go yesterday. I found that my tires were filled to 45# which seems a little high. I noticed a bit better road feel with the lower pressure. My ride home from work every day takes me on a right sweeping overpass with two hard joints at either end that always throw my car around. With the lower pressure it smoothed it out some but, I still need a firm grip on the wheel!

Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 AM
njtsx
Neutral
Hi everyone...
I'm new to the site and am exploring to find the cause/solution to these same annoying issues, as seen in this thread as well:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ver-bumps.html

My fiancé's ALL4 does the same crap, and it's pretty odd to me. I've had my share of cars, but none have had this much of a momentary out-of-control feeling (and I drive to have fun a lot, or as car companies call it 'spirited' driving). From what I've read on a few threads, the run flats seem to play a big part in the bumpy sliding. Her car also has the seemingly overactive ABS thing when she hits some bumps, get that slight grind/jittery feeling in the brakes. It's unnerving and doesn't exactly evoke confidence while driving the car, but the brake feel is not nearly as dangerous as the sliding going over bumps issue.

@wvugrl09
(or anyone else) Have you noticed a big difference since you've switched your tires? Am wondering if we should go to the dealer and try to get them to swap since she's only had the car a few months.

Last edited by njtsx; 07-03-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: typo