R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Never Buy a Countryman

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM
gr8ful
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read the entire thread and my only imput is being a new car additic and have purschaed 47 new ones of all diffferent brands, never had these kind of problems and was only stranded once in 40 years, new 99 C5 with fuel transfer pump failure. Maybe 10of them were 1st model year.
Having the same type failures indicates a design flaw IMO. I just bought a $13k Kia Soul for a beach car and it is flawless at the 4K mile mark. My R57 was had 3 issues in 3k miles so far.
I love MINIs but not for a daily driver.
Hope MINI does the right for the owner with problems.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
You are on to something here

Originally Posted by Mini-b10
I'm not ignorant to any facts and how does venting on a forum in a subsection called fixing problems and issues going to help you get Mini USA to help you and your problem? This isn't Mini USA's customer service department. My point is that is a freaking car and all manufactures have problems. So if you can not handle getting some words from people then you can have a nice day and move along yourself!
I know this isn't the customer service department. They are too busy apparently to resolve this issue in a timely fashion.

As for fixing the problems, Well lets just see.

Oil leak took 3 attempts with three gaskets and one oil pan and one sender unit.

Stalling issue took 3 attempts with 2 firmware upgrades and 2 thermostat housings.

Front and rear brakes have both been replaced already.

Rear cargo latch side door latch and rear drivers side seat latch are all new.

Air conditioning. Not fixed in three attempts.

Shall I go on?

Todya I have a warning indication on the dash. Windshield wipers or motors or pump? I dunno yet but I refilled the unit and it is still on.

Oh and did I forget my 22.5 Average Miles Per Gallon.

Mini says this is "normal"

I haven't listed everything but after this many problems with said 34K dollar car I doubt you would be on here trumpeting about your love for the brand.

This is however a "PUBLIC" forum where we can all get together to share experiences good or "bad"

please feel free to share your good ones and I will take care of the bad ones.

BTW you are quite the fan boy!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:31 PM
razz
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Knownman
Shall I go on?
No, and thanks for asking.

I'd have got the dealer to buy the car back and moved on.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:53 PM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Knownman, are you making progress with getting Mini to buy back your car?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:10 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
Not really.

It's been 3 months since we started the process and it's still not done.

I'm hoping by the end of the week but I honestly think I will have to take the legal route.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:35 AM
shark715
6th Gear
3 months is just ridiculous! There's no excuse! They know the longer they can drag out the process, the less they will be forced to pay you, assuming you are continuing to use the car and put more miles on it.

Based on your posts, it sounds like you certainly qualify for the state program, so long as there's something still significantly wrong with your car.

If there is, I would not hesitate to send the "last chance" letter (I assume you've read the Lemon Law booklet that's on the state's website) as the letter might be enough for them to realize you are not going to back down. If they have let this drag on for 3 months, there's just no reason to trust them at all!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
Prestge Mini came through!

We just took delivery of a brand new 2012 Mini Countryman All4s in the light brown.

Seems nice after one day!

No additional payments for us and we have a brand new car. I am crossing my fingers!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:34 PM
shark715
6th Gear
Knownman, glad to hear that! When you say no additional payments, you didn't have to pay anything for usage you received from your first CM? Assuming your new CM has an MSRP at least equal to you old one, that's a better deal versus going to Lemon Law court. As you probably know, in New Jersey if you prevailed in Lemon Law court you would have had to kick in an amount for the usage you received from your old car. For example, if the price on both your old and new cars was exactly $30,000, and you got 5000 miles usage from your first car, you would have to contribute 5%, or $1500 to trade to the new car.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Mical
4th Gear
K-man, Congrats on your new ride & resolution.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
I know the lemon law would be painfull which is the only reason I held out for the dealer and corporate to come thru. We will only finish off our original payments.

They did good by me. The dealer deserves a lot of credit for dealing with my frustrations. I am not an easy guy to handle when I'm getting the run around so I appreciate and can say they are really very good.

I don't pass out compliments too often.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 AM
DKN
Neutral
Concerned potential owner

I'm brand new to this forum. I'm in the market for a new vehicle that can haul myself to work, haul the rapidly growing kids to school, get better than average fuel milage, perform better than average, offer manual tranny, allow for some type of bicycle rack, allow a Thule type roof box when needed, at minimum allow for a few roller type luggage bags in back, drop down seats for extra hauls when needed, and finally long term reliability as I tend to run them till the wheels fall off.

So basically small suv, hatchback, wagen type car, when adding performance to mix it shrinks list, adding space for growing kids shrinks list again. So after walking away from a Scubie Outback cause it's a boring dog to drive, I dropped wife at salon and took kids for a drive, past the Mini dealer and there it was out front. The CMS wasn't even on my radar as I assumed it, well mini. But what a great package! Looks, performance, room for adults in the back, order it as
Needed without package creep! Wow and BMW reliability. At least what I assumed.
Some have been posting on this thread why complain here when it won't help. Well it may help me. I don't like making car buying mistakes when there is a wealth of information in this world. Having a Honda crv with 181k as a daily driver is boring. It starts takes me somewhere and wait till its time to go somewhere else. No drama no excitement just utility. I was hoping for something fun this time, but so far I learning this car may be the wrong kind of excitement. I can't afford being late to work, or spending time at dealer for other than oil changes. Unless someone can convince me the risk of these types of failures are the cost for an amazing experience I'm gonna need to keep searching.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too was skeptical about buying a MINI based upon the fact that there were problems. But after driving one and talking to owners I changed my tune. We ordered our Countryman in July 2011 and took delivery the end of September. We now have over 17000 miles on her While she is not perfect, no car is. she is a blast to drive, I always seem to to the long way to get where I need to. It is much better than a point A to Point B vehicle. In the 17000 miles I have not had an issue while getting 30+MPG on 87 octane. I have bought many cars in my lifetime and this is the first time that I can honestly state that there have been no regrets. In fact, we are in the process of ordering our second MINI and it is not a replacement for Betty but a stable mate.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:01 AM
shark715
6th Gear
Seems like the major problems have been suffered by a relatively small percentage of owners. The problem, of course, is if it turns out that you're one of them.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by DKN
I'm brand new to this forum. I'm in the market for a new vehicle that can haul myself to work, haul the rapidly growing kids to school, get better than average fuel milage, perform better than average, offer manual tranny, allow for some type of bicycle rack, allow a Thule type roof box when needed, at minimum allow for a few roller type luggage bags in back, drop down seats for extra hauls when needed, and finally long term reliability as I tend to run them till the wheels fall off.

So basically small suv, hatchback, wagen type car, when adding performance to mix it shrinks list, adding space for growing kids shrinks list again. So after walking away from a Scubie Outback cause it's a boring dog to drive, I dropped wife at salon and took kids for a drive, past the Mini dealer and there it was out front. The CMS wasn't even on my radar as I assumed it, well mini. But what a great package! Looks, performance, room for adults in the back, order it as
Needed without package creep! Wow and BMW reliability. At least what I assumed.
Some have been posting on this thread why complain here when it won't help. Well it may help me. I don't like making car buying mistakes when there is a wealth of information in this world. Having a Honda crv with 181k as a daily driver is boring. It starts takes me somewhere and wait till its time to go somewhere else. No drama no excitement just utility. I was hoping for something fun this time, but so far I learning this car may be the wrong kind of excitement. I can't afford being late to work, or spending time at dealer for other than oil changes. Unless someone can convince me the risk of these types of failures are the cost for an amazing experience I'm gonna need to keep searching.
Go drive one and see what happens...

Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Knownman
2nd Gear
I've got a brand new replacement Mini Countryman All 4S with less than 1500 miles on the clock..

light coffee, adaptive HID, auto, hands free, access, anthracite wheels with 4 seasons.

I'll make you a good deal!

Then I'll go buy that Honda.

I've got a fun car in the garage. 650 horsepower and it has no defects! B5 Blue Challenger...

That is a "fun" car. And it gets the compliments to boot.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 PM
kazyn
1st Gear
2012 CM All4 manual with 10k miles and going second time for termostat/ sensor issues. MPG is 25 with 75% highway. Worst car we owned. Just sold 2005 MINI with 100k miles and never had a problem with it - best car we owned

Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 PM
SpringCityMINI
1st Gear
We've had our base model 2011 CM automatic since May of 2011 and have racked up just over 37K miles. During the time we've owned, most of the issues have been nothing more than cosmetic.

The chrome trim peeling was by far the worst issue. Every piece has been replaced at least once. We also had the steering wheel spoke trim cover replaced as well as the shifter **** trim replaced due to the rubberized coating coming off.

As far as first impressions for a first year model run, this one has been the best one out of all of the ones we've owned over the years. I'll definetly own another CM!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:39 PM
kgelner
4th Gear
Why to get a CM - runflats

Originally Posted by DKN
Unless someone can convince me the risk of these types of failures are the cost for an amazing experience I'm gonna need to keep searching.
The thing is, how risky is it really? Any car make might have a few lemons in the mix.

The Countryman is my only car, it's never stranded me anywhere in over 32k miles of driving. I've driving it from Denver to Las Vegas next week, out to Death Valley and back again.

To me it's been a great car I have loved having. If you are leery of risk nothing beats having run-flat tires which lets you at least get somewhere safe to look at what is going on with the tire (always carry a tire pressure gauge with you though as sometimes the run-flat sensors can give false positives, and are pretty sensitive to tire pressures being equal).

Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM
fkelly5
2nd Gear
Warning- this is like my first or second post - so since I don't have Nam street cred I may get flamed - but what the heck I will sleep well.
I am shaking my head at this post- I am trying to love and buy a CM but having heard about the continued maintenance issues- I am also going to consider a Honda Accord- "Do I want to be bored but have money in the bank- or do I want to have fun and spend my dough on car repairs".
I'm thinking that many of you have some serious disposable income, with the way attitudes are displayed about lemons, etc. If I got a lemon or any service issues that required me to take the car in more then once or twice for more simple repairs (first year) I WOULD BE LIVID....Sorry but that is what I have come to expect when I purchase a new car. That it runs flawlessly- First year production- you have got to be kidding that I would accept that as an argument. I wonder how many new first production planes hit the skies- guess you better EXPECT some mechanical issues- eh.
What also intrigues me is most people would do exactly what the OP did and tell the world and be mad as hell. Thank goodness for NAM so you just don't feel so alone and helpless.
I am really trying to love the CM- love the looks etc, but I do not want to sit around wondering what is going to break..........

Old 01-01-2013, 04:34 PM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
I too was a bit concerned before we ordered but since I have back issues and the CM was the only vehicle that met my needs. We took the plunge. If you notice most of the people that have problems are CMS All 4. We have the base and have no significant issues. Don't kid yourself Honda has it's issues and so does Toyota. Would I buy a CM again you bet I would. It is the best vehicle I have ever driven or owned.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:50 PM
fkelly5
2nd Gear
Point taken- Mr Luckypa. I am 56 yrs old and live in the South so don't need All4 nor need off roading capability. It will be my daily driver and for making long distance vacation trips - although I do go rather fast getting to places. I just sold an 06 Toyota Corolla and about to move a 03 Honda Pilot with a 175K miles to 3rd place in our driveway and have never gotten stranded or broken down on the road. I think I know how to separate the minor from the major- but seems like a lot of major breakdowns occur early on and parts appear to be hit or miss if in stock. So--- Guess I have been spoiled with pretty decently performing cars and have to really listen to my gut on this one. Your last sentence is what is making me - SO CONFUSED- Ha. Thanks for the response.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 PM
fkelly5
2nd Gear
Oh and funny but just saw the pix of your car and that is exactly the one I have my eyes on- (or the new copper color).

Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
The only changes I might make if buying another CM would be to consider the Brilliant Copper, different wheels and fog lights. There are some plusses to the base CM. and they are the room inside, the fact that it gets 30+ mpg on 87 octane most of the year. (per owners manual) I actually took a CMS for a test drive and found that it could get me into trouble. (speeding) Something else to consider is the culture around MINIs and the clubs. and events. Up here we have dealers that have movie nights and the MINI runs are a blast.

Good luck with your decision

Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM
jjshoe
2nd Gear
Hi everyone, I haven't read the thread too close, but I wanted to share my experience. First and foremost, so many non-Californian's love to bash California. It makes me smile when they do, because California is a wonderful place to live as a consumer.

I bought a mini brand new in 2007. Standard cooper, automatic, sun roof, dimming mirror, auto climate, and heated sports seats where my customization's.

At 8k my check engine light came on, and that was when the fun began. Things that where replaced through the life of my mini:

water pump
radiator
catalytic converter
footwell module (x2)
transmission

My sunroof would never open when it was hot out, the answer was always to program the car. I also had a tailgate latch malfunction, the mini advisor played with the hatch stops, sinking them, he then went to slam the tailgate. It didn't latch, but bounced off the stops. Later on when I asked another dealer to line the tailgate up they claimed it was bent, and that the body shop said it couldn't be lined up with significant work.

California's lemon laws are quite clear:

Two or more failed repair attempts on a LIFE critical system
Four or more failed repair attempts on a non-life critical system (sunroof)
Thirty or more days in the shop while under warranty (42 days)

You only need to qualify for one of the three conditions and I qualified for two. Californa has a formula that must be used by the manufacturer when going through the lemon process to handle mileage. This is easily googleable, but essentially I only paid for 8k miles of wear and tear, because that's when my first repair was.

Additionally California says you can recover lawyer fees from the manufacturer if you use one.

I simply put a letter together stating why I was interested in a dealer buy back (NOT A LEMON), citing my states qualifications for a lemon, and providing all my service records. It's in their best interest to cooperate with you on a dealer buy back. Getting to put dealer buy back on the title means they can resell the car (I feel sorry for whoever bought mine) and don't have to scrap it out. Additionally in my case working with me was much cheaper than working with my lawyer.

The process was fairly straight forward, I sent my letter off registered return receipt requested mail. Within three days of receiving my letter I got a call saying they where looking at my case. Within two days they gave me a call saying they where agreeing to a buyback, and I needed to provide some additional paperwork. The lady I worked with on the phone was absolutely wonderful, and if the dealers had ever taken care of me like she did I wouldn't have gotten to that point.

Notice when all the things go wrong with your mini they never offer to extend your warranty free of charge?

Anyways, long story short, do your research on your local laws, and don't be taken advantage of. I got all but $2k back of what I spent on my mini.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Chili4
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mrluckypa
I too was a bit concerned before we ordered but since I have back issues and the CM was the only vehicle that met my needs. We took the plunge. If you notice most of the people that have problems are CMS All 4. We have the base and have no significant issues. Don't kid yourself Honda has it's issues and so does Toyota. Would I buy a CM again you bet I would. It is the best vehicle I have ever driven or owned.
I love reading posts like yours and gr8ful. While I like reading both sides of the story, since I am a new owner, I like the reassurance you offer.

We aren't getting younger and although the WRX was great, ZERO problems, it was just too much car for me and my back.

The mini is great for so many reasons. Here's hoping my all4 holds up. I hope to be a long time owner being able to say it just rolled over 150k. Life is a gamble and it's just too short. I decided to take a gamble on the all4.

Oh, and jjshoe: I lived in NorCal for three years. It was absolutely amazing. I love Cali. I would go back after we retire, but it's so expensive!!

Last edited by Chili4; 01-17-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Never Buy a Countryman