R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

"Passenger Airbag is Off" Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012 | 07:47 AM
Kandrive
|
2nd Gear
"Passenger Airbag is Off" Warning Light

Hi! I'm new to this site *waves* and just purchased my new 2012 MINI Countryman CTM (base) on May 20th. I have a question. Since getting my car, I've always driven with passengers with me but for the first time last week I was able to drive somewhere alone.

I immediately noticed that two warning lights (right next to each other), up above (near the map lights) that say "Passenger Airbag is Off" and the "Seatbelt Warning" come on and stays on the entire time I'm driving. When a passenger gets in and sits in the front seat the light goes off (and stays off) until they leave the car. It then comes back on (and stays on). I don't put any objects on the seat next to me, either, so the seat is vacant when I'm driving alone.

I called my Motoring Advisor (who also owns a 2012 Countryman) and he told me that this is a normal safety feature on the 2012's and not to worry about it. It's unsettling to always have warning lights on, tho, so I thought I'd ask if any new 2012 MINI Countryman owners have this same issue.

Responses would be appreciated. I'm going to take it to the dealership service dept. anyway because this doesn't seem right, no matter what the Advisor says.

Thanks! Kandi

Old 06-03-2012 | 08:04 AM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Same here, on both cars...seems normal

Old 06-03-2012 | 11:34 AM
52804x4
5th Gear
Do you get the audible chime as well, or just the lights? Just having the lights on is normal I'm afraid.

Old 06-03-2012 | 12:50 PM
Kandrive
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bakerbrdz
Same here, on both cars...seems normal
Do the warning lights stay ON the entire time you're driving (alone)? Some people have told me I have a problem that requires a visit to the service bay, some are saying they have the same thing - warning lights ON the whole time. Most say the warning lights shut off after the starting sequence, then go out ... I'm so confused!! (lol!)

Old 06-03-2012 | 12:59 PM
Kandrive
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 52804x4
Do you get the audible chime as well, or just the lights? Just having the lights on is normal I'm afraid.
They chime once, then it stops but the warning lights stays ON. Interesting to hear from two people with 2012's (Countryman) that this is normal. My MA said his stay on, too.

If I had only been able to drive around more (by myself!) after my MINI was delivered, fresh off the boat! They were getting ready to close and my MA had another customer so, after I paid the dealer for my car, we were outta there! That's one thing about MINI's - ordering them with all your dream options but never being able to test out all the features of one that has everything together. This has been quite the adventure, I must say.

Old 09-18-2012 | 06:51 PM
guptesv
1st Gear
Hey Kandrive.. don't know if u finally got ur question answered to your satisfaction but i just read the user manual for the CM few days back (my CM is currently on a boat making its way here and it kept my mind off the agonizing wait) and this is a copy-paste from there:

"The indicator lamp for the front passenger airbags
shows the functional status of the front
passenger's front, side, and knee airbags in
accordance with whether and how the front
passenger seat is occupied. The indicator lamp
shows whether the front passenger airbags are
activated or deactivated.
> The indicator lamp lights up when a child in
a specially designated child restraint system
is properly detected on the seat or the seat is
unoccupied.
The front, side, and knee airbags for the
front passenger are not activated.
Most child seats are detected by the
system. This particularly applies to
child seats that were required by NHTSA at
the time of manufacture of the vehicle. After
installing a child seat, check that the indicator
lamp for the front passenger airbags
lights up. It indicates that the child seat has
been detected and that the front passenger
airbags are deactivated.<
> The indicator lamp does not come on as long
as a person of sufficient size and in a correct
sitting position is detected on the seat.
The front, side, and knee airbags for the
front passenger are activated."

Hope that helps..