R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

countryman whooping sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:31 PM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
countryman whooping sound

Hello, I just bought a brand new mini cooper countryman base, auto trans. in April 2012, had the car for almost 2 month, 1600 miles so far. After a few days I got the car, the car will make a whooping noise after sitting for 5-6 hours, the noise will occur when driving at low speed, with my foot on the acceleater lightly, no gear changing, no braking. This will only happens after startup and the car was at low speed, it will last about 10-20 seconds, after I speed up or the war warms up, then it will be gone, and car will be driving normal. I had the car serviced in dealer already for this issue, but the technician can't duplicate the noise when the car was in the shop.They lubed some parts that potentially can make the noise, but it still makes that whooping noise after the service, it's not a bad bearing, not from the wheels/brakes, its from under the hood. This is the link for the noise, I recorded it and put it on Youtube, hope you can help. thank you!
http://youtu.be/tcSww3t2T9A

Old 06-08-2012, 06:38 AM
AustinS
4th Gear
Are you kidding? You must have sensitive ears 'cause all I hear (other than the engine) is the turn signal.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 AM
lisajt
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't help you at all, sorry, but I do hear it on your video.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I hear it. It sounds like a rotational type of noise. Does the rate of the sound increase as you go faster? It reminds me a of failing wheel bearing. I've had two wheel bearings fail before so the noise is familiar with me. I even have a video of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pTa49i_tKM&feature=plcp But it could just be your tires that need to be warmed up? Or your tires need balancing.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:17 AM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely sounds like it varies with vehicle speed. Wheel bearing is a good guess. Maybe axle bearing? Dirt in the brakes? Let us know what the dealer says, very curious.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 PM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Thanks for y'all responses. As far as I know, dealer said it's not bearing issues. Car is still in dealer, I am going to have an answer on Monday, definitely it's some kind of rotational sound, but only happens at low speed and low RPM. Once car drive for a few minutes, that noise will be gone. The noise will increase if I go faster, but only for a period of time, 20 sec maybe, then the sound is gone. I will post here if dealer can give me an answe on Monday. Thanks for all the advises again

Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 PM
MrCooperS
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheCarMania
Thanks for y'all responses. As far as I know, dealer said it's not bearing issues. Car is still in dealer, I am going to have an answer on Monday, definitely it's some kind of rotational sound, but only happens at low speed and low RPM. Once car drive for a few minutes, that noise will be gone. The noise will increase if I go faster, but only for a period of time, 20 sec maybe, then the sound is gone. I will post here if dealer can give me an answe on Monday. Thanks for all the advises again
See.. That to me sounds like a wheel bearing issue. They can all wear and fail differently. One of mines made a rotational noise at around 30 MPH but would go away until I hit 65 MPH and it would come back and get louder the faster I drive. Maybe you had a bad wheel bearing out of the factory. Whatever it is, I hope they fix it for you.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Sounds like your run-flat tires. Mine does the same at low speed on certain road surfaces.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:12 AM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mical
Sounds like your run-flat tires. Mine does the same at low speed on certain road surfaces.
Maybe, but the noise doesn't sound like from wheels, it happens every time I start the car, hope it's nothing major

Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 PM
TheCarMania
1st Gear
dealer put a back order from germany, he called me today with a long explaining, dealer will keep the car for another 7 days, will update all of you for the problem when I get it back