R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

Frustrating boost leak?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:56 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Frustrating boost leak?

Hey all, I’m just about to the point of pulling my hair out! I will post this in the Gen 2 section as well if mods allow, since this isn’t necessarily specific to an R60 but any N18 Mini I hope.
OK here is the issue:
I have 40mm turbo installed on my 2012 R60 S All4. For a while now and it’s getting more noticeable lately, I have had this weird what I think is a boost leak or vent of some sort.
Im wondering if maybe my pressure converter or vacuum tank may be bad. But I’m not getting the classic kazoo sound at shut off, no odd noise at shut down at all. The car runs great, so it doesn’t seem to have a vacuum leak. But under a light load while building boost, I will sometimes (more often recently) get a brief whistle or hoot almost like a tea kettle whistle of pressure releasing somewhere under the hood. It’s not the diverter. It will happen and I can feel the power drop a bit as it loses a couple psi just before the diverter opens. I have changed the diverter multiple times and now have a GFB DV+, but still get it. Under harder acceleration or higher boost levels it seems to seal up and hold pressure fine. No whistle or power drop.
does anybody have any idea what this may be? I’m getting frustrated! I’ve pressure tested all of the charge pipes and FMIC and no leaks there at all. I keep thinking it’s the pressure converter but don’t want to just throw parts at it blindly. Does anyone have any tips for testing the converter/boost solenoid?
any help here would be tremendously appreciated!
thanks!
Grumps

Old 02-06-2019, 06:52 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
Hey all, I’m just about to the point of pulling my hair out! I will post this in the Gen 2 section as well if mods allow, since this isn’t necessarily specific to an R60 but any N18 Mini I hope.
OK here is the issue:
I have 40mm turbo installed on my 2012 R60 S All4. For a while now and it’s getting more noticeable lately, I have had this weird what I think is a boost leak or vent of some sort.
Im wondering if maybe my pressure converter or vacuum tank may be bad. But I’m not getting the classic kazoo sound at shut off, no odd noise at shut down at all. The car runs great, so it doesn’t seem to have a vacuum leak. But under a light load while building boost, I will sometimes (more often recently) get a brief whistle or hoot almost like a tea kettle whistle of pressure releasing somewhere under the hood. It’s not the diverter. It will happen and I can feel the power drop a bit as it loses a couple psi just before the diverter opens. I have changed the diverter multiple times and now have a GFB DV+, but still get it. Under harder acceleration or higher boost levels it seems to seal up and hold pressure fine. No whistle or power drop.
does anybody have any idea what this may be? I’m getting frustrated! I’ve pressure tested all of the charge pipes and FMIC and no leaks there at all. I keep thinking it’s the pressure converter but don’t want to just throw parts at it blindly. Does anyone have any tips for testing the converter/boost solenoid?
any help here would be tremendously appreciated!
thanks!
Grumps
It likely *is* a vacuum leak. I recommend that you acquire a smoke machine or go to a garage which knows how to use one. That and a stethoscope or remote mic and headphones. My TT leaked a bit under boost and lost that Puh-shuuuusssh! sound when the DV let off excess pressure. The vacuum lines get hard and brittle with age and will crack and split. Might be worth buying a reel of hose and cut it to length and reinstall all of it.

One other less obvious thing to check is the boost control valve. I don’t know if that’s what it’s called on the MINI but that, too, was a notorious issue with the TT and likely easy to replace.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:18 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eric.stewart

It likely *is* a vacuum leak. I recommend that you acquire a smoke machine or go to a garage which knows how to use one. That and a stethoscope or remote mic and headphones. My TT leaked a bit under boost and lost that Puh-shuuuusssh! sound when the DV let off excess pressure. The vacuum lines get hard and brittle with age and will crack and split. Might be worth buying a reel of hose and cut it to length and reinstall all of it.

One other less obvious thing to check is the boost control valve. I don’t know if that’s what it’s called on the MINI but that, too, was a notorious issue with the TT and likely easy to replace.
I have been suspecting the boost control solenoid too. I can’t seem to find anything else. I suppose I need to figure out how to do a smoke test, because I don’t like paying others to work on it, maybe I’m old school, maybe I’m just cheap.....maybe a little of both! Lol
thanks for the response. I have been searching but can’t really find much on how to test the solenoid first, because I loathe just throwing parts at a problem. Time to think on it a bit more.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:31 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear

It’s the part between #’s 7 & 8

This thing! Ugh!
Son of a .......
I think I’ve FINALLY tracked it down and found the culprit! It’s the dang coupler in the cold-side boost tube that used to have to noise maker attached to it Mine never had the noise maker, but at least for a time, they used a coupler that is almost identical except for the port for the noisemaker. It’s leaking around the seal on the top. So I ordered up a Forge noisemaker delete pipe that should eliminate that whole piece. Hopefully that will do it! It will be here in a couple days.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 05:54 AM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by MrGrumpy

It’s the part between #’s 7 & 8

This thing! Ugh!
Son of a .......
I think I’ve FINALLY tracked it down and found the culprit! It’s the dang coupler in the cold-side boost tube that used to have to noise maker attached to it Mine never had the noise maker, but at least for a time, they used a coupler that is almost identical except for the port for the noisemaker. It’s leaking around the seal on the top. So I ordered up a Forge noisemaker delete pipe that should eliminate that whole piece. Hopefully that will do it! It will be here in a couple days.
what’s the “noisemaker’s” function? Hope you found it. How’d you find the leak?

Old 02-26-2019, 06:03 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
My 2012 Clubman with N18 engine had the same intermediate tube in there. Seems earlier cars had the multi-piece design, and later cars went to a one-piece design. I replaced mine with the NM pipe kit.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:06 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
It’s a dumb design decision. I’m dumb too I suppose, since I had mentally eliminated that part as a suspect for the leak because I took it apart and put it back a few times and never seemed to make a difference, but I never actually pressure tested that part. I’m just glad I finally found the problem! The one piece hose that I ordered will hopefully do the trick.

njaremka (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 10:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,866 Posts
Sometimes is that one part you dont think about, then your like dang, should have thought it through. Been there done that.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-26-2019, 02:33 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Sometimes is that one part you dont think about, then your like dang, should have thought it through. Been there done that.
Yep, you would think that I would know better by now, but.....lol.
Thanks, by the way, I ordered the hose from ECS. You guys had the best price on it. Just waiting for it to arrive.

ECSTuning (02-27-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 03:10 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

Still haven’t answered my question? :-)

Old 02-26-2019, 03:10 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by eric.stewart

what’s the “noisemaker’s” function? Hope you found it. How’d you find the leak?
I apologize, I didn’t notice your post right away. The noisemaker was a contraption that pumped artificial engine noise into the cabin. They stopped using it around the time of the switch to the N18.
I had been hearing it for a good while now, giving me just a brief whistle every now and then. Just enough to be super annoying! And a small flat spot in power when it would happen. I have been looking for it unsuccessfully for a while.
The last time I had it apart there, put a little bit of lube on it to enhance the seal and cleaned it up really good inside and out. Well the last time I had my head in there looking at the vacuum tank and lines, I noticed some dirtiness around the top of the coupler. Then I jiggled it a little and realized it’s not a tight seal there, as it moves quite a bit. So with my super thinking cap on, I decided to wrap it in duct tape and see if the sound changes. Sure enough it did! Now I can see where it’s leaking at. So the one piece delete pipe should solve the problem by eliminating the coupler altogether.

The following 2 users liked this post by MrGrumpy:
ECSTuning (03-05-2019), eric.stewart (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 03:29 PM
eric.stewart
3rd Gear

^^ Thanks.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:22 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
Good detective work, Mr. Grumpy. Thanks for sharing. I keep making mental notes of these procedures and hoping that I'll be able to locate them in my addled brain when I need them.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:38 AM
7rhSon
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On my 12' countryman S fwd.recently I've had a kazoo/buzzing sound in the front.. when I release the pressure via the expansion tank it will calm down.. I've been told that it's a normal thing with the auxiliary water pump.. but I never recall hearing this.. so with the boost solenoid valve on it's way out are there other signs? From time to time I will get a half engine power light on and the turbo kicks off.. I restart my car and things are ok.. I get no codes when I scan the car with my schwaben bmw/mini scan tool.. just curious for any thoughts