R61 :: Paceman Talk R61 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.

R61 Tweedbean's R61 Mini Paceman 2.0 SD Project All4

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 01:10 PM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts
Tweedbean's R61 Mini Paceman 2.0 SD Project All4

So earlier the year I was close to buying two other Paceman's, both petrol All4 models however both had engine issues so I had to pull out. That same eBay search has been saved with no salvage listing coming up for the last couple of months, when a very cheap one popped up earlier in the week. I had to go look at it as it was was only 20 mins away and super cheap. Why was it super cheap you ask, considering the body work and interior is perfect, its an all4 Cooper SD model, with 93k on the clock, heated full leather seats, DAB etc, well the engine is seized, which 99% means a replacement engine is needed. It has 8 months MOT left and isn't categorised which is a bonus. Once I got there I knew I had to have it, it was as tidy as it looked in the pictures:

So I paid up and luckily even thought it was 5pm he managed to get a transported there to drop it straight home as clearly I couldnt drive it with a seized engine. I gave it a quick wash as it had sat in a farms storage yard for a while:

It cleaned up really well, the body really is perfect minus one tiny door ding, very tiny.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tweedbean/, on Flickr

The colour wasn't my first choice but I have big plans long term, but short term I want to get a new engine in and get it on the road. It won't be going on air suspension that's for sure, it may even get a lift kit, lets see...

Here is a quick intro video:

The following users liked this post:
CountryJim (09-19-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 04:40 AM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Engine and delivery paid for this morning. Rotrip got in contact after seeing one of my social media posts, they have just took delivery of a Countryman SD which has done around 193k, super high mileage, probably the most I have seen from a countryman. The engine itself was fitted a few years ago as a replacement to the original, this replacement has now done 66k, Its in need of a clutch and we will be fitting a new timing chain. Will refresh anything that needs doing before it goes in. The engine will be delivered straight to Millsys Auto's hopefully the end of this week and then will book a slot for Jason to fit it which means this could be back on the road a lot quicker and cheaper than I first thought. As I plan to up the torque via a custom remap to assist with off roading, I will see what aftermarket clutches are available for the this engine, need to shop around and see what parts you can get as have no experience with this engine.

The following users liked this post:
al the mini man (09-21-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 12:52 AM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
Since I've had the Paceman, I knew I wanted to dechome the car and this also meant getting rid of the silver 18" OEM wheels, I would have done them black, however my preferred choice of wheel re-furbisher, City Wheel Refurbishment in Birmingham use powder coat which wouldn't work with the plastic centre faces on those wheels. Then when I saw the company I purchased the replacement engine from, Rotrip, were selling the wheels off that same Countryman, I snapped them up at £160 delivered which was a bargain. They weren't in great condition as the previous owner had rattle canned them matt black without even bothering to remove the centre caps or even masking the mini logo, which meant they were very ugly but none of this bothered me as I knew they would come up like new once refurbed.

This was an example of one of them pre being stripped down and refurbed.

Also this was a good opportunity to settle on future plans as tyre choice has a big influence. I settled on going for a chunkier tyre for the all terrain look and capability. A set of Yokohama Geolander A/T came up with a decent discount on black friday so I decided to go with those. I went for 215/65/17 so keeping to the stock width but going a lot taller on the side wall. From what I read online this should fit with stock suspension and also look good eventually with a lift kit fitted. City did an amazing job at £35 a wheel including tyre removal and fitting, really pleased with how they came out. Just need to finish off the dechrome, as I have black handles/badges/beltline sat here ready to fit. Then I just need to paint the front grill.

Here is a quick update if you want to take a look:

Old 12-11-2022, 02:56 AM
Tweedbean
4th Gear
@Admin1 can you delete this thread please, duplicate of another