Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

Team Onasled and M7

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw your post on this last week and it is the essence of my dilemma. My rotors survived the Glen with little wear but my Porterfield R4 pads lasted maybe 30 laps. Going down the straights I had to tap the pedal to load the pads. I was running Kosei K1 Racing 15x7 with Kuhmo 205s. Before I invest in a BBK and 17s maybe I just need TCE’s kit that fits the 15s along with some 225s. Please tell me more…

Old 06-20-2006, 10:25 AM
djafactor
3rd Gear
dmh,

Are you just running the upgraded pads or have you done the rotors/lines/caliper stiffners? I just got off the phone with my shop buddy and we are going to try the new EBC Yellowstuffs before doing the TCE BBK. One interesting note, on the front pads the drivers side was almost finished (just a few mm left), while the passenger side had about a 1/4. Thought that was very odd, my other Mini buddy had the same issue, drivers grinding metal, passenger 1/4 left. Then today at the shop they had a stock mini come in to have new pads, same thing. Anyone else notice this? Definitely do the 225s you won't be dissappointed.

Amit

Old 06-20-2006, 10:36 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
My pad wear looks to be about the same.
My front & rear brake setup is/was: Porterfield R4 pads, Centric High Performance slotted and cryoed rotors, StopTech SS lines, Motul 600RBF, and TyrolSport bushings.
I am now leaning towards 225s on 15s and the TCE calipers that fit 15" wheels.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by onasled
Sid, I did do a bit of grinding also. I will take a picture this week, but it may be hard to really see how much I did. If you don't see a pic by Friday, please bug me about it..
Yes I will...and you've inspired me to hit the tracks again....well, for the first time with my Mini...

First, I need to figure out where I've lost boost...I felt something amiss lately and the OBD confirmed that I'm only achieving 10lbs...I have 17% pulley :impatient

Going to take off the DFIC and back track to see where the loss is coming from...

Old 06-20-2006, 05:44 PM
newbs49
Banned
GREG
How are you. I see your project is coming along. I wish you the best this year. I've laid back from the amount of events this year. $$$$$ isn't there in the new job.. You should pinch the 130 at the Glen. I'll hit 128 - 129 without a problem. I wish I'd have taken the rev limiter up higher as I'll bump the hell out of it before the getting in the braking zone. I've stop doing things to the car as you may have seen here someplace I'm getting a GP in Sept. I'll be at LRP for the race Monday Sept whatever it is with the MINI takes the States wrap up with the car. I'm going to Mosport in July and want to hit another track but I have to keep the miles down on the car. DMB may want to look at the Detroit Tuned brake kit. I run that on my car with 16's and pads seem to last forever and stop really well.
Greg
I'll give you a call soon. Is your # the same as the one I have. PM me if different. Hope all goes well. Do us good and M7 the same.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:59 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Yes I will...and you've inspired me to hit the tracks again....well, for the first time with my Mini...
Oh Boy ...... don't blame this on me!!
Really happy to hear it Sid. Hope we can meet on the track sometime.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:05 PM
newbs49
Banned
Sid's been going to the track for 2 years now. I remember when you were just thinking about it in Rhode Island about 18 months ago. If Sid goes, he's done just like you .
Better design more useful product Sid. Racing = $$$$$$$$$

Old 06-20-2006, 06:06 PM
onasled
Banned
Larry,
The speed difference might be one, or both of two things. One is the diameter of out wheels (most likely) and the other is just the typical Mini speedo error.

Don,
The wing was more experimental then anything. At close to 100 mph on the downhill at LRP I was looking for more rear skicky. The new wing will be well thought out, not only for downforce, but mostly for drag reduction.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:25 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
130 MPH is...

Originally Posted by newbs49
snip...You should pinch the 130 at the Glen. I'll hit 128 - 129 without a problem. I wish I'd have taken the rev limiter up higher as I'll bump the hell out of it before the getting in the braking zone.
impressive at the Glen. Especially without a problem. Last night I loaded the video from John Paton's JP win last year at the Glen (same class a prepared Mini would run) into Dartfish software. He was hitting 124 MPH before the inner loop. He set the track record that day. He races an E30 M3 with plenty of drag like the Mini.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:42 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Sid's been going to the track for 2 years now. I remember when you were just thinking about it in Rhode Island about 18 months ago. If Sid goes, he's done just like you .
Better design more useful product Sid. Racing = $$$$$$$$$
I know...that's why I've been holding back Like I said in another thread about the "least favorite mods"...I listed finding NAM of course

Old 06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
J Propane
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dmh
I saw your post on this last week and it is the essence of my dilemma. My rotors survived the Glen with little wear but my Porterfield R4 pads lasted maybe 30 laps. Going down the straights I had to tap the pedal to load the pads. I was running Kosei K1 Racing 15x7 with Kuhmo 205s. Before I invest in a BBK and 17s maybe I just need TCE’s kit that fits the 15s along with some 225s. Please tell me more…
dmh, you may want to try GranSport pads. That's what I use at the track. I have the same set-up you have. Did 4 week-ends of racing, one practice/qualifying day and an entire testing day on the same set of pads and rotors. The rotors were slotted OE and were starting to heat check. I replaced the pads at the same time because I felt bad about keeping them on the car after the abuse. They would proabably have lasted another race or two before they were worn-out.

Mind you, Todd is a great sponsor here and if I had to upgrade to a more hardcore setup, he would be my first choice for calipers/rotors, but I am extremely happy with the GranSport pad's performance.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:52 PM
newbs49
Banned
Great line Sid.
Keep up the great work with M7. Keep Chad in Line. I hope to get up there again after I get my GP in Sept.
Larry

Old 06-24-2006, 08:01 PM
onasled
Banned
Old 06-24-2006, 08:56 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any idea if your warranty is intact?

But then I guess if you can strip and rebuild from scratch and there are no oem parts left you may never want to have someone else work on it.

Nice work! Can't wait for the new vids!

Old 06-24-2006, 08:59 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes - on a couple of accounts... photos, and How-To!

I've always wanted to learn... Thanks much.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How well does the german rubber method hold up to flex? Any worries about cracking?

I know that in the VW scene, they like to mold body panels together, and they use a special product rather than bondo to avoid the cracking issues.

Sounds great so far...keep it up

Old 06-25-2006, 03:08 AM
onasled
Banned
Old 06-25-2006, 07:29 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Sid, I did do a bit of grinding also. I will take a picture this week, but it may be hard to really see how much I did. If you don't see a pic by Friday, please bug me about it..
Bug bug bug...

Old 06-25-2006, 07:34 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Great line Sid.
Keep up the great work with M7. Keep Chad in Line. I hope to get up there again after I get my GP in Sept.
Larry
Hey Larry...stop by next time you're in the area...love to see the GP

Old 06-25-2006, 07:37 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Bug bug bug...

Old 06-25-2006, 07:47 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
onasled-
I just caught this at the top: "Team Onasled and M7." What's the connection?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:16 AM
onasled
Banned
M7 is my sponsor. Peter of M7 has been quite valuable in supplying not only his product, but sources of many others that are part of this buildup.
He is also a good source for mental health counseling.. as he checks in often to make sure I'm not hangin from the shop rafters...

Oh, and a shout out to Randy of M7 also as he checks in every so often to reminisce about my old sailing days..

Old 06-25-2006, 08:31 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Cool. M7 is your sponsor! May I assume this is a D-mod car? Who is your crew chief/race support?
You wrote: "The fact is that it has been your support here that did in fact help me with this God awful decision of campaigning my Mini S rather then just buying a track prepared M3."
This is certainly quite an ambitious project. Being a trained, but not practicing therapist, may I ask why you want to go up against M cars?

Last edited by dmh; 06-25-2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Paulo
3rd Gear
Sailing days...

M7 is my sponsor. Peter of M7 has been quite valuable in supplying not only his product, but sources of many others that are part of this buildup.
He is also a good source for mental health counseling.. as he checks in often to make sure I'm not hangin from the shop rafters...

Oh, and a shout out to Randy of M7 also as he checks in every so often to reminisce about my old sailing days..
Greg,
I also miss my sailing days, what type of boat did you race. I had an Elite-30 fractional rig w/ a noodle mast and running backstays. Race PHRF in the Gulf Coast area. She was named "Samba".
Regards,
Steve
ps: Of course it is fun to go up against M-cars

Old 06-25-2006, 09:03 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by dmh
Cool. M7 is your sponsor! May I assume this is a D-mod car? Who is your crew chief/race support?
You wrote: "The fact is that it has been your support here that did in fact help me with this God awful decision of campaigning my Mini S rather then just buying a track prepared M3."
This is certainly quite an ambitious project. Being a trained, but not practicing therapist, may I ask why you want to go up against M cars?
Yes, D-Mod. Also plan on racing NASA GTS.
I've started building up a web site that I hope to get online shortly. www.onasled.com will be the address, but not up yet. This will have all the info I can think of on team onasled including the people behind the car.
Crew chief is David Morrow and chief engineer/designer is Ted Sullivan. Ted has been designing and building GT1 cars for over 30 years. The shop is nothing more then a back yard barn, but the product is quality. David is the younger of all of us, but he has knowledge beyond his years. He's the kind of guy that can think of ten things before I can think of one. The best part about all of us is that we are always willing to study and learn new things, which is a good thing because they knew nothing of a Mini Cooper before this one .
I'll have more on the website soon.

Oh...., ... and why take a Mini against M-cars? Because I can...???

Quick Reply: Team Onasled and M7