Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

Team Onasled and M7

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:24 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sentence completion?

Originally Posted by onasled

Oh...., ... and why take a Mini against M-cars? Because I can...???
I wish you all the best in your efforts.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:30 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulo
Greg,
I also miss my sailing days, what type of boat did you race. I had an Elite-30 fractional rig w/ a noodle mast and running backstays. Race PHRF in the Gulf Coast area. She was named "Samba".
Regards,
Steve
ps: Of course it is fun to go up against M-cars
Steve, I always loved that Elite. Almost bought one myself.
I race (used to) Etchells, 110s and Force 5. in full size boats. Also race RC boats in several classes. I still have the three big boats and about 12 RC boats.
Too busy with the car to even put the big ones in the water for the last year. But i'd rather play with the car now anyway..

Here is one of my RC boats. Star 45 (45")

Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Paulo
3rd Gear
I race (used to) Etchells, 110s and Force 5. in full size boats. Also race RC boats in several classes. I still have the three big boats and about 12 RC boats.
Too busy with the car to even put the big ones in the water for the last year. But i'd rather play with the car now anyway..

Very cool! I need to get my rc boat working again, 36"model
Steve

Old 06-25-2006, 02:06 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by dmh
Sentence completion?
I wish you all the best in your efforts.
Don. It was just meant to be the same kinda answer as when someone is asked why they climbed the mountain, ...."Because it's there."
I know it could have been much easier to finish in the top ten in an E36/46 M car, but as I think I stated once before, I was attracted to the challenge of people such as yourself that felt that a Mini could not compete. I'm not sure it can, but it will be fun to try.
Not everyone's reason for racing is the same. I know you feel strongly that it should be man against man in more equal cars, but it's the whole package for me. From designing to building to driving, I want to do it all. It's the same way I am with everything I do. ...

Old 06-27-2006, 10:19 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fun and knowledge for the sake of fun and knowledge. The hardest competitor to get around is usually one's self, at many levels; personal challenges are the most rewarding in my opinion.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Built-by-Bones
2nd Gear
Just clicked this thread, and what do I find? Steve and Greg are both yachties.

I have a RYA 200 tonne licence, sailed in the Caribbean for 5 years. Multiple Atlantic crossings. Raced aboard a Nautor Swan as tactitian. way too many miles up and down the east coast.

We used to own a Vagabond 42 ketch that took us safely to the Caribbean from South Africa and finally up the east coast. Sold her in 1995. Currently a dirt sailor, I own a 16 foot Hobie, but the trailer has not moved in two years.

perhaps that gives us our common perspective on safety?

Grant "Bones" Barclay

Old 06-27-2006, 12:51 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulo
Very cool! I need to get my rc boat working again, 36"model
Steve
The closest I've come to piloting a yatch is my RC Tamiya "Yamaha" that I built but never sailed...don't know how It's my mantel piece at 72" tall

Old 06-27-2006, 06:48 PM
onasled
Banned
Grant, you certainly are spoiled as to which boats you have sailed. Can't get a whole lot better....
I was able to do two weeks in the Keys, Bahamas and Tartugas(spell) on a Hinckley 48. That's about my story as far as cruising goes. Maybe someday we will find ourselves back out there again.

Sid, You must have one of everything I'm guessing ...
I too own the Yamaha. Though I painted it red like the one that Denis Conner sailed many years later. That is one of the best detailed RC sailboats ever made. Not a great sailing boat, but as you say, looks fantastic on the mantel (if you have high ceilings.. ) I also got the crew that was an option.
I was looking for a picture but can't find one.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:51 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Scanoe!

with a PedalPro...

Old 06-28-2006, 05:01 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Sid, You must have one of everything I'm guessing ...
I too own the Yamaha. Though I painted it red like the one that Denis Conner sailed many years later. That is one of the best detailed RC sailboats ever made. Not a great sailing boat, but as you say, looks fantastic on the mantel (if you have high ceilings.. ) I also got the crew that was an option.
I was looking for a picture but can't find one.
Since I can't experience the real things like you guys, I guess toys will have to do...like my slot car collection...my version of Jay Leno's garage

Speaking of pictures...rear fender sheetmetal?

Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by MSFITOY

Speaking of pictures...rear fender sheetmetal?
Thanks for the reminder again Sid.
I just now installed a new photo editer so I can get back on track.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:00 PM
onasled
Banned
Another late night....

Old 06-29-2006, 09:06 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
....Speaking of pictures...rear fender sheetmetal?
Sid, tried a few pics tonight, but nothing really came out to great. Not sure what I did will really show in a photo. I'll try again earlier tomorow so maybe the light will be better.
Here is one pic. Please let me know just what you need and I'll try and capture it.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:19 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Sid, tried a few pics tonight, but nothing really came out to great. Not sure what I did will really show in a photo. I'll try again earlier tomorow so maybe the light will be better.
Here is one pic. Please let me know just what you need and I'll try and capture it.
Thanks for trying...is that of the front or rear? I'm looking for the rear...

Old 06-30-2006, 07:28 AM
onasled
Banned
Thats the rear inner well. Front of the car it to the right. I'll go over today and try for better shots.
Note the hole on the top of the photo is where the gas filler hose was at the gas cap.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:50 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as we are getting side tracked let me contribute maby we should start a sailing / mini thread

Randy
M7 tuning

here is My star 45 ( great minds think alike LOL )

And my all time favorite ride . Im the one with the big smile LOL

Big power.

Big fun

More current rides , Trans Pac 52

Hauling the mail on San Francisco bay

Last weekends ride

Big speed BIG fun

Old 07-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Paulo
3rd Gear
Yachties

Originally Posted by Built-by-Bones
Just clicked this thread, and what do I find? Steve and Greg are both yachties.

I have a RYA 200 tonne licence, sailed in the Caribbean for 5 years. Multiple Atlantic crossings. Raced aboard a Nautor Swan as tactitian. way too many miles up and down the east coast.

We used to own a Vagabond 42 ketch that took us safely to the Caribbean from South Africa and finally up the east coast. Sold her in 1995. Currently a dirt sailor, I own a 16 foot Hobie, but the trailer has not moved in two years.

perhaps that gives us our common perspective on safety?

Grant "Bones" Barclay
Funny how sailors have common interests... Started sailing Pinguins in Rio back in the 60's, the went on to crewing on a Soling, fom there I crewed on "Saga", S&S 57' IOR class A boat, she won the '72 Bermuda race. Crewed on other IOR boats in Brazil then got into sailing Lasers when I wasn't surfing.
Life was tough in Rio, just wish I could have raced Karts at a young age.
Only started racing cars three years ago.
Hope to see you at another race soon.
Regards,
Steve

Old 07-04-2006, 04:22 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
i want that cylinder head ... *jealous*

Old 07-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Ranzo
4th Gear
So hows the project going?

Old 07-28-2006, 10:07 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
I think Greg is involved in some portions of the project for which he doesn't want to divulge details; which is to be expected. If I'm not mistaken though, I think he's getting her painted now! I'm sure he'll chime-in with some level of information....

Old 08-14-2006, 03:49 AM
pmello
3rd Gear
Greg, great to see you Saturday! We autoXed Sunday. Had a good day. Good to see things are moving right along. The suspension looks really good. Red goes with anything... Thank God I left my camera home so I have an excuse as to why there are no pic's. We'll have to talk about getting some of those trick rear links for me!

Greg, could you send me the video links again. I think ***.net ate them.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:40 PM
onasled
Banned
Spent the day with Jason Martinelli, Grand-Am Cup, GS class racer at Lime rock. Jason was testing his M3 ITE, BMWCCA CM car, as were several others at the SCCA test day. Jason happens to be the cousin of my fabricator so we were treated very well. My fabricator/builder of my Mini is Ted Sulivan, in the cowboy hat, and he was asked to come help with some input with some handling issues.

Jason is a great driver, doing low 58s in this low HP car. Not to mention one of the nicest guys I've met. His sharing of just what it takes to make a successful campaign was evident on just how confident he is.

I was also lucky enough to spend over an hour of one on one time with the Moton tech who was flown up from Atlanta to help tune Jason's car. Wow, I did learn a bunch..

Also David Pan was there with his SWEET little white M3 that he built himself. What a clean car and mighty fast too. David was busy all day with just tuning his new stand alone ECU. The guy knows what he's doing for sure.
This is David's car, which will be running in the same class as my Mini. Man, do I have my work cut out for me...

Of course PLN was there with his ultra fast GT-1, AGT Vette. Paul regularly does 54s around this track, not bad for 81 years old!. This is also the same class car that Ted, my builder, builds and races. Being there with Ted was pretty fun as we spent some good time with some very smart people, including PLN's engine builder.

A hand full of cars like the Porsche below were there stretching their legs in prep for the upcoming Vintage weekend.

By the way, Jason is leaving Grand Am and going to Speed World Challenge next year. Grand Am is in the process of possibly requiring that all cars use the same stand alone ECU from Bosch. That means that all of these teams, which may be the majority will have to dispose of their $25,000 Motecs....

Old 08-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are some cool pics Greg.
I hope you're able to chase down that white M3 and pass it.
It will be very cool when you're out there running laps. I'll be there for sure!
BTW, you will have a PM when I get done typing this.

Old 08-15-2006, 09:07 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Greg, I really feel that you are going to be successful simply by virtue of your attention to detail, and the wonderful folks you know!

That white M3 really is nice and I look forward to some in-car of vids of you doing battle with it . I'm envious of your time with the Moton tech!!! Maybe we can get some deals on used Motecs though...

Old 08-16-2006, 04:00 AM
pmello
3rd Gear
WOW, David Pan!! I got to ride with him last year at the Glen (track day, Sunday 30 min morning run). It goes without saying, that that car is FAST. He was there as an instructor. What a fun day.

Quick Reply: Team Onasled and M7