Road Racing Discussion Interested in taking your MINI road racing? Find out what you need to do to get your MINI ready!

Pedals and Heal-Toeing

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:04 AM
sweetmanb
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pedals and Heal-Toeing

All,
I took delivery of a 2006 MCS w LSD a couple of weeks ago. It's a great handling car but the juxtapostion of throttle and brake pedal is less than ideal for heal towing. The biggest problem is that the brake pedal is too high! Have you found a way to lower the brake actuation point? How else have you dealt with this issue?
Many thanks,
Bruce S

Old 12-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetmanb
All,
I took delivery of a 2006 MCS w LSD a couple of weeks ago. It's a great handling car but the juxtapostion of throttle and brake pedal is less than ideal for heal towing. The biggest problem is that the brake pedal is too high! Have you found a way to lower the brake actuation point? How else have you dealt with this issue?
Many thanks,
Bruce S
Of course, "heel-toeing" is really a misnomer; these days you are not actually using your heel and your toes. Rather, the technique is to have the ball of your foot (below the big toe) on the brake and the side of your foot (below the small toe) actuating the throttle.

When I first got my MINI, I used a pair of sneakers that had a particularly wide width across the ball of my foot; this helped bridge the height difference between the two pedals. However, the shoe wasn't flexible enough and lacked my preferred "pedal feel". I define "pedal feel" as being able to lightly touch the brake pedal and feel the right edge of the pedal's face under my foot.

I then tried some Piloti Spyders and the world became a beautiful place again. For my tastes, they are appropriately wide across the ball of the foot, but are very flexible and transmit just enough "feel". The Pilotis also have a wrap-around edge on the side of the shoe that contacts the throttle when heel-toeing.

Borrow someone's Pilotis and see if that makes any difference.

Also, somewhere online I saw aftermarket pedals "designed" for heel-toeing. And, while they did not address the height difference you speak about, they were designed with additional surfaces on the right side of the brake pedal and on the left side of the throttle. They would not be to my taste, however, as I feel the extra material may be a bit dangerous in some situations.

Theo

Old 12-13-2006, 11:12 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
The installation of my Ultimate Pedals helped with that problem and others:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...2&postcount=19

Old 12-13-2006, 12:19 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetmanb
How else have you dealt with this issue?
Hit the brakes harder?

I guess the best advice is to just get used to it. I can heel-toe my MINI pretty well, now. I tried driving a friends Miata, which is supposed to be great for heel-toe shifting, and I couldn't do it in that car because I was used to my car.

On the street, I usually use the side - to - side method described above. On the track, that would sometimes fail me. I'd get my foot too far over to the brake side and not be able to reach the gas with the right side of my foot. So, on the track I've switched to using the ball of the foot on the brake, and the heel on the gas... right foot angled like this \

Different people find different methods best...

Old 12-13-2006, 12:28 PM
xbook
Banned
Originally Posted by Koopah
I then tried some Piloti Spyders and the world became a beautiful place again. For my tastes, they are appropriately wide across the ball of the foot, but are very flexible and transmit just enough "feel". The Pilotis also have a wrap-around edge on the side of the shoe that contacts the throttle when heel-toeing.

Borrow someone's Pilotis and see if that makes any difference.
I totally second this. My amazing g/f got me some spyders just before we went to the Monterey Historics. And it was a big difference. Heal & toeing is so much easier with those shoes. Plus they are so comfortable, I have no problem standing around all day in them @ the track. Get some, you won't be bummed at the decision.

if you wanna see some check out my gallery...

Best of luck

Old 12-13-2006, 06:39 PM
TheBlackBrian
4th Gear
Originally Posted by snid
Hit the brakes harder?

On the street, I usually use the side - to - side method described above. On the track, that would sometimes fail me. I'd get my foot too far over to the brake side and not be able to reach the gas with the right side of my foot. So, on the track I've switched to using the ball of the foot on the brake, and the heel on the gas... right foot angled like this \

Different people find different methods best...
I will second that. With the MINI, it takes different styles for different amounts of braking force. Once you get comfortable with it, its easy.

I seem to be able to do the "side to side" style with my speedcats, and they are THIN.

-Brian

Old 12-17-2006, 05:51 PM
justintime
6th Gear
skating shoes are the best heel toe accomodating <(sp???) shoe around. you hardly have to move your foot over at all

Old 12-18-2006, 07:05 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by justintime
skating shoes are the best heel toe accomodating <(sp???) shoe around. you hardly have to move your foot over at all
Is it adviseable to remove the Blades first??

Old 12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xbook
I totally second this. My amazing g/f got me some spyders just before we went to the Monterey Historics. And it was a big difference. Heal & toeing is so much easier with those shoes. Plus they are so comfortable, I have no problem standing around all day in them @ the track. Get some, you won't be bummed at the decision.

if you wanna see some check out my gallery...

Best of luck
+1

_Dave_

Old 12-18-2006, 03:39 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. Driving shoes are too narrow. I do the method where you put the ball of the foot on the brake, while the right side blips the throttle.

It's not exactly heel-toe, it's more like ball-toe. But it works great, especially with wider shoes or sneakers on.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:09 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
I noticed this in an '06 MC. The brake pedal was much higher and the heel/toe was much more difficult than in my MCS with OLD brakes. I didn't have the car long enough to really figure it out, but it was easier with my dr. martens.

mb

Old 12-19-2006, 07:20 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
I'm the opposite, when I'm wearing Doc's it seems like i can't feel a thing when it comes to the pedals. It's a whole different ballgame with sneakers or my Pilotis!

Old 12-19-2006, 08:20 AM
justintime
6th Gear
Old 12-19-2006, 09:20 AM
TheBlackBrian
4th Gear
Look... all you guys need is practice. The MINI pedals will become easy to heel/toe once you get used to them. No need to go spending money because you are impatient. All of the racers here can do it, so you can do it. Now go outside and practice .

-Brian

Old 12-19-2006, 10:52 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBlackBrian
Look... all you guys need is practice. The MINI pedals will become easy to heel/toe once you get used to them. No need to go spending money because you are impatient. All of the racers here can do it, so you can do it. Now go outside and practice .

-Brian
I agree, but the Ultimate Pedals make it easier and they have much better slip resistance when wet. The stock pedals suck when they are wet.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
I've tried and tried but have come to the conclusion that my feet are just too small. :(

If any other women have figured it out, I'd love to know how.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is a fairly informative article about heel-toeing courtesy of Audiworld.com in Canada:

http://forums.audiworld.com/canada/msgs/22677.phtml

Theo

Old 12-23-2006, 06:39 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a great article. I also find the MINI to be real easy to heel-toe. Originally, it wasn't but when the brake fluid were flushed (by the dealer), the pedal became softer and allowed much easier heel-toe. I'd still like solid brakes though... Now that I'm only driving a few times a week, I'm loosing consistency on my double clutches and heel-toe downshifts.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:13 PM
littlecS
3rd Gear
i agree with brian. its just a matter of practice. i have no problem heel-toe shifting on my mini. just got back yesterday from a track day and no problems