Solo Would wider factory wheels sell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 02:05 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would wider factory wheels sell?

If MINI offered wider 15 and 16 inch wheels from the factory , do your think those wheels would sell well as compared to existing 17 inch wheels? How much lighter would they have to be? Could a good business case be made for the factory to offer such a wheel(s)? I am sure the wheels would have to be marketable world wide. What would be the best widths to consider? (gosh I hope someone at MINI comes across this thread).

Old 05-20-2005, 02:22 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt the hypothetical wider "smaller diameter" wheels would sell as well or better than the 17" wheel. People are just too sold on big diameter wheels these days - not that I agree with their logic and I'll take it that don't either, but there just frankly aren't that many people that think like us.

Personally, I think it'd be sweet if Mini sold a 15x6 or 15x6.5 or 15x7 on the Cooper (and heck, why not 15's for the S, too, as long as we're at it?) - But I don't think it will happen.

It'd also be sweet if Mini changed the FSM so we could use camber bolts in stock, but I'm not holding my breath

Edit - I hope I'm wrong, though! I'd have definately spent extra for 15x"something wider than 5.5 inches" if I would have had the option when I bought my cooper.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:42 PM
OasisT
6th Gear
How about 16X7.5 or 15X7.5 with 2 degree's negative camber up front(adjustable of course). That would certainly be nice, but, we'd probably land ourselves in CS if that were to happen

Old 05-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definitely buy some light 15x7.5 wheels for my MCS, but only as a FACTORY option, not a dealer option. As long as it were factory it would be legal for Auto-X in a stock class, whatever that might be.

Factory installed adjustable front and rear camber would be worth extra money to me also.

Old 05-21-2005, 02:02 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Possible stock rim sizes?

I think that MINI makes a 15x5.5" rim for good reason.
It is:
Cheaper to make
Light in weight- about 12 to 15 pounds
Is a perfect fit for the 175/65-15 tire that is also very light, has low rolling resistance, is cheap, has good all season traction and performance.

A wider rim like 15x6.5" or 15x7" would:
Cost more
Add a few pounds maybe 2
Is better suited for a bigger heavier tire like 205/55-15 which costs more, has more rolling resistance, possibly more road noise and can ride a little harsher compared to the 65 series tire.

Buyer demand is with the 17x7" wheel or larger. Nobody carries aftermarket wheels in 15" where I live- I have to shop on the internet to find anything decent.

More people are interested in 18" or 19" wheels than 15" wheels.

The MCS can work very well with 15" wheels whether stock 15x5.5" or wider 15x7", I run them both with good results on the track, street and at autocross. There is some speedo and odo error due to my small tire diameters.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:47 AM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
I think that MINI makes a 15x5.5" rim for good reason.
It is:
Cheaper to make
Light in weight- about 12 to 15 pounds
Is a perfect fit for the 175/65-15 tire that is also very light, has low rolling resistance, is cheap, has good all season traction and performance.
A wider rim like 15x6.5" or 15x7" would:
Cost more
Add a few pounds maybe 2
Is better suited for a bigger heavier tire like 205/55-15 which costs more, has more rolling resistance, possibly more road noise and can ride a little harsher compared to the 65 series tire.
Buyer demand is with the 17x7" wheel or larger. Nobody carries aftermarket wheels in 15" where I live- I have to shop on the internet to find anything decent.
More people are interested in 18" or 19" wheels than 15" wheels.
The MCS can work very well with 15" wheels whether stock 15x5.5" or wider 15x7", I run them both with good results on the track, street and at autocross. There is some speedo and odo error due to my small tire diameters.
Although Mazda's always had a concern about the wheel weight for the Miata, I don't see weight as even the slightest concern for MINI, for some reason. Their 17's are among the HEAVIEST 17's available on the market. Then they stuck a heavy runflat on as well. 50lbs per corner on a 2500lb car is absolutely rediculous.

I'm sure your "cost" reason is the only one.

Brian

Old 05-21-2005, 09:07 AM
minihune
Durability!

Brian,

You bring up a good point. Runflats vs weights.

Runflats are very very stiff and roads can be very unforgiving- full of debris, potholes and bumps or ruts.

Combining a runflat tire with a light weight rim spells...
Disaster!

We have many owners that hit potholes with stock wheels that blew tires AND bent rims. Imagine if the stock rims were half the weight? Well then they would need to be forged and made of the highest quality at great cost.

Small rims are partially light because they just have LESS mass, not really a design or manufactoring miracle. A simple drop cast rim in 15x5.5" is going to be pretty decent in weight unless it's a solid thick disc.

So my theory is since Runflats allow for no spare (saves some weight) and since runflats transmit road shock to the rims, then as a matter of durability and survivability those rims need to be stout and affordable for MINI, therefore the robust weight (not always- the X-lyte isn't that bad).

I wouldn't imagine that wheel offsets would be an issue. 15x7" rim with +40 to +42mm would be OK with stock suspension.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:19 AM
BGarfield
4th Gear
Completely irrelevant.

Weight does not equate to strength. The most obvious example is a 25lb CAST Aluminum MINI wheel vs. the 13lb Centerline FORGED wheel of the same size. I'll take that Centerline for durability over the stock wheel any day of the week (they're on sale BTW).

Not to metion, the heavy mass hitting a hole along with being the weaker wheel spells MORE chances for disaster. Again, I'd rather hit a hole driving on that Centerline forged LIGHT weight than the HEAVY cast wheel.

Brian

Old 05-21-2005, 10:48 AM
minihune
Getting back to topic- wider factory wheels?

In the 15" up to 15x7" or 15x7.5" (offset issues with being so wide? Probably not if +38mm and tire used isn't more than 225/50-15)

In the 17" up to 17x7.5" or 17x8"

So why not? Is there demand?
Can MINI justify the cost and live with the added weight of a wider rim?

On the cast wheel vs Forged wheel comparison.
Yes, the forged wheel is much stronger (my 17x7 Centerlines have been punished by potholes and narry a stratch or dent) but it comes at a price.

So maybe MINI should go with a forged wheel!
Now that might be something good. You know they will charge you $100 more than market price per rim for the trouble.
Heck, MINI go with Foose wheels

Foose Lusso Chrome in 17x7.5, 18x7.5 or 19x8 sizes.
Ooops, their heavy! But pretty.