R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Check Engine Light - 12 Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:04 AM
jasonl
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check Engine Light - 12 Clubman

Hi Mini friends!

I recently just bought my first mini ever, a 2012 Chili Red Clubman with 54K km's on it, with only a single previous owner, manual transmission. Took me a bit to adjust from an SUV to this but I'm loving it (still adjusting to the rougher ride).

A few days ago my 'engine light' came on on my dash (but not on the tach) with no obvious reason, car was running as it normally did, no loss of power, no odd sounds. I have an appointment tomorrow at the local mini to have it checked.
This morning on my way to work, the "tach" warning came on (for the first time), in yellow, for a split second and then vanished.

Is this a common occurrance? I haven't had the car a month yet, should I be worried?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason

Old 04-05-2016, 02:22 PM
daddyandmadi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the MINI Clubman. If the Tach warning comes on in Yellow, and goes away, its not tooooo serious. If it comes in red, you will go to half power.

You should get a cheap OBDII WIFI adapter from Amazon ($20) and Dash Commander for your iPhone (or Bluetooth and android) and get it to pull codes. Best $25 you can spend for your piece of mind. Without it, your at the mercy of a dealer. Works on all cars. You can also get Carly App, but its $50, but helps you code your car too.

If you ride is too rough, look into non run flat tires. Most of us have ditched to traditional tires. I can say KONI FSD shocks are a good ride if you like stock height, but a little more comfort.

Anymore questions, let us know. Be glad to help. Check out Clubman Owners on FB, or League of Extraordinary Miniacs

Don't forget to wave!!!

Old 04-05-2016, 02:46 PM
jasonl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by daddyandmadi
Welcome to the MINI Clubman. If the Tach warning comes on in Yellow, and goes away, its not tooooo serious. If it comes in red, you will go to half power.

You should get a cheap OBDII WIFI adapter from Amazon ($20) and Dash Commander for your iPhone (or Bluetooth and android) and get it to pull codes. Best $25 you can spend for your piece of mind. Without it, your at the mercy of a dealer. Works on all cars. You can also get Carly App, but its $50, but helps you code your car too.

If you ride is too rough, look into non run flat tires. Most of us have ditched to traditional tires. I can say KONI FSD shocks are a good ride if you like stock height, but a little more comfort.

Anymore questions, let us know. Be glad to help. Check out Clubman Owners on FB, or League of Extraordinary Miniacs

Don't forget to wave!!!

Thanks for the follow up D! I may just do that...i'd love to be able to pull my own codes.

I will definitely be looking at non-run flat's, no idea why the dealer recommended them...good lord I get nervous every time I see a crack in the road let alone a pot hole (and in Canada we have lots of pot holes).

I will definitely check out those FB groups...

Ok...the wave...I wasn't losing my mind...I've seen two other mini owners wave at me...that's a "thing"?? I just thought it was a cool coincidence...but it's not!?

Jason

Old 04-06-2016, 07:55 AM
jasonl
1st Gear
Hi daddyandmadi...thanks for the reply and welcome!

I just got back from my service visit and as it turns out it was an O2 sensor, they are replacing it next week.

I will definitely look into getting one of thes adapters...great advice, thanks!
I will very likely be replacing the run flats if it gets me a bit more cushion, I like the fillings in my teeth staying where they are...man some of those bumps are bone jarring...thanks for the tips.

I'll for sure look at the FB groups too!

Jason

PS> "The Wave"...that's actually a "thing"? I thought I was losing it, two other mini owners waved at me in the first week, I thought it was hilarious and waved back (like the motorcyclists do)...but didn't realize it was actually a thing. Very cool!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
If you dont want the adapter and want a full scan tool we have this option :

Reads allot of stored and internal codes, testing. Helped me find a bad abs sensor and what corner.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d-q-and-a.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-19-2016, 05:05 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Noticed you planned to ditch the runflats. Could not ell if your car is a S or not. If not an S you can get a doughunt spare to hang below the boot (and look to see if you already have one). There are several parts needd bst to search here for a comprehensive list. I ditched my run flats and am so so much happier!

Old 04-19-2016, 05:59 PM
jasonl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cargusjoh
Noticed you planned to ditch the runflats. Could not ell if your car is a S or not. If not an S you can get a doughunt spare to hang below the boot (and look to see if you already have one). There are several parts needd bst to search here for a comprehensive list. I ditched my run flats and am so so much happier!
Hey...yes I do plan on it, and my car is not an "S" just a Clubman. I'm eyeing the Cooper Zeon's right now, my first quote on them was $722 CDN taxes in, installed and balanced.

A donut would be a welcome addition for when my roadside assistance runs out.

Jason

Old 04-20-2016, 06:26 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Take a look in your car now. Below the boot floor is a storage space. Below that is another storage space that should contain a big block of styrofoam which holds your jack/tools. If you are lucky below that is a doughnut tire. Mine had one even though it was sold with run flats. Good luck, please let us know if you hit the jack pot!
Carl

Old 04-21-2016, 06:46 PM
jasonl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cargusjoh
Take a look in your car now. Below the boot floor is a storage space. Below that is another storage space that should contain a big block of styrofoam which holds your jack/tools. If you are lucky below that is a doughnut tire. Mine had one even though it was sold with run flats. Good luck, please let us know if you hit the jack pot!
Carl
Unfortunately...nothing there. Just the styrofoam pieces holding the jack and things. Now...to find a donut...hmmm.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:11 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Sorry about that. Well, the good news is you only need the wheel/tire. On a non-Clubby Justa there is hardware to mount the wheel below the car, and a strange "valve stem extender tube/valve" to find. Wish you good luck! You will find the non-runflats are a huge improvement!

Old 04-23-2016, 05:17 PM
jasonl
1st Gear

Thought I'd throw in a picture of my toy

Old 04-23-2016, 06:07 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Now that is a great looking Clubby. Can't go wrong with Chili Red!