1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy an R53, need info

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 04:15 PM
davethemailman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy an R53, need info

Hello all. Im looking at buying an R53 (04-06) as a daily driver to replace my Miata. I am a bit concerned about all the issues with the Mini: oil leaks, PS pump/fan, etc...I am staying away from the R56 because I've read that the early years were problematic, and later years are still holding their value so I'll wait for those to come down. So its looking like a low mileage clean R53 rather than a high mile R56, at around similar pricing more or less. I realize that on these forums a good bit of the posting will be about repairs or problems. I know there are happy owners out there that don't post, too... but coming from several low maintenance miatas, I can't wrap my head around the whole "yes they have a lot of costly problems but we love them" aura of the Minis. Are the problems overstated by those that can't turn wrenches? The average BMW shopper isn't going to turn his own wrenches, I get that... I have a well stocked toolbox (and I add to it regularly) and am not afraid to tackle repairs. So is my reluctance to jump into the Mini ownership justified, or am I putting too much weight on complaints? Thanks in advance for any input

Last edited by davethemailman; 05-20-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:42 PM
99mpower
1st Gear
I have a 140k 2003 Mini Cooper S with GP seats I'm going to be fixing up. (incompetent last owner), and installing a bunch of new/good parts.

$6500 Electric Blue 6spd...

Here is my thread, and list of whats being done when I get back from deployment (June/July timeframe)

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-2003-r53.html

Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 PM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
They aren't civics, that's for sure. It also depends on what you consider costly (diy time?). Many issues involve inexpensive parts (crankshaft o-ring $2, LCA bushings $85, etc) while a few are much worse (PS pump $).

When I bought mine a few weeks ago my thought process was: here's a machine that has a lot of power and fun in a small space for not much money. To do that, engineering compromises have obviously been made. Known issues have been well-documented in the 10 years since the last R53s rolled off the line, and some parts will wear out extraordinarily fast compared to other cars. It's all part of the equation, and you have to know what you're getting into and be comfortable with it.

"Yes they have a lot of costly problems but we love them" applies equally well to dogs and children As long as you know what you're getting into, the reward can be worth it.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,023 Likes on 1,817 Posts
I would go over it with a fine toothed comb, most MINIs can be brought back to life if you have the tool and time, we can supply that parts. If you need anything let me know.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-27-2016, 09:13 AM
brg04r53
Neutral
Originally Posted by davethemailman
Hello all. Im looking at buying an R53 (04-06) as a daily driver to replace my Miata. I am a bit concerned about all the issues with the Mini: oil leaks, PS pump/fan, etc...I am staying away from the R56 because I've read that the early years were problematic, and later years are still holding their value so I'll wait for those to come down. So its looking like a low mileage clean R53 rather than a high mile R56, at around similar pricing more or less. I realize that on these forums a good bit of the posting will be about repairs or problems. I know there are happy owners out there that don't post, too... but coming from several low maintenance miatas, I can't wrap my head around the whole "yes they have a lot of costly problems but we love them" aura of the Minis. Are the problems overstated by those that can't turn wrenches? The average BMW shopper isn't going to turn his own wrenches, I get that... I have a well stocked toolbox (and I add to it regularly) and am not afraid to tackle repairs. So is my reluctance to jump into the Mini ownership justified, or am I putting too much weight on complaints? Thanks in advance for any input

You a just putting to much weight on the complaints. you stated that you could turn the wrench if need then you should be able to get into an r53 with no issue. yes if purchasing an Gen 1 you will have those minor issue because it is a 10-12 year old car but once those minor issue is replace it a great car to drive as a daily driver. coming from a honda guy i was just like you before i purchase my r53. had it for a year and only major thing i did to it was rebuilt my head. (my choice) hope this help decide on a fun car to drive.

Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy an R53, need info-12985393_1110519788999058_1362487051527673155_n.jpg  
Old 06-02-2016, 07:43 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM. I have come across many gen one Minis with 300K on the clock. This has to tell you that they hold up well and you need to know the years have taken some of the newness out of them, but in most cases, small maintenance will bring them back up to a very happy little car, that drives great, like on rails and good economy.
I am getting typically 30mpg on my Mini S and 40mpg on my base model.
You will find many complaints from people that know nothing about Mini Coopers, but the truth is they are long lasting, fun to drive and own cars. I have one S with 167 K miles on it and it runs fine. Another with 145K miles and it is my every day driver.
Itsme Wayne

Itsme Wayne, confirmed addict

sadly just sold this one and need a replacement

my other two

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 06-06-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:52 PM
cspec
1st Gear
^ This man speaks the truth! My Mini is strong as ever!

Old 06-05-2016, 02:45 PM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by HaltCatchFire
"Yes they have a lot of costly problems but we love them" applies equally well to dogs and children As long as you know what you're getting into, the reward can be worth it.
This is a great quote!