F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 400km's, (mainly pampered), some issues...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 04:14 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
400km's, (mainly pampered), some issues...

Well, I have not really driven my JCW 2016 much for two reasons. One, I have been away from home on and off, and I wanted to prep the paint and interior before really using it (easier to work on clean paint and interior than having to wash and clean). Most of the mileage was driving my JCW from the out of province dealer, where I purchased the car from to my home.

So, here it is... no car is perfect, right?

The one that bothers me the most is the rear bench seat on the drivers side. There is a tear. How did the Dealer miss this?

The second issue, is the front passenger side rotor. There is a groove, in a word, it is scored.

The third issue is the front, drivers side, side marker. The Black letters, that outline the words John Cooper Works. Some of the letters are missing the black in the lettering (I guess the inspector at the factory missed it).

The fourth issue is the front, drivers side, fender trim molding, rattles on the portion of the trim that is after the front wheel. It's like loose, or not installed correctly.

The fifth issue is the Drivers side windshield washer jet does not work. No liquid comes through the jet.

And finally, I am not sure if this is an issue or not. But after driving for a while (so the engine is nice and warm), when coming home and letting the engine idle. The sound from the front of the engine, is not very enjoyable. It doesn't sound very mechanically enjoyable. Anybody else noticed this? Nobody else that I know drives a JCW, nor mini S.

Cheers...

Old 06-29-2016, 05:12 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by LormaD
Well, I have not really driven my JCW 2016 much for two reasons. One, I have been away from home on and off, and I wanted to prep the paint and interior before really using it (easier to work on clean paint and interior than having to wash and clean). Most of the mileage was driving my JCW from the out of province dealer, where I purchased the car from to my home.

So, here it is... no car is perfect, right?

The one that bothers me the most is the rear bench seat on the drivers side. There is a tear. How did the Dealer miss this?

The second issue, is the front passenger side rotor. There is a groove, in a word, it is scored.

The third issue is the front, drivers side, side marker. The Black letters, that outline the words John Cooper Works. Some of the letters are missing the black in the lettering (I guess the inspector at the factory missed it).

The fourth issue is the front, drivers side, fender trim molding, rattles on the portion of the trim that is after the front wheel. It's like loose, or not installed correctly.

The fifth issue is the Drivers side windshield washer jet does not work. No liquid comes through the jet.

And finally, I am not sure if this is an issue or not. But after driving for a while (so the engine is nice and warm), when coming home and letting the engine idle. The sound from the front of the engine, is not very enjoyable. It doesn't sound very mechanically enjoyable. Anybody else noticed this? Nobody else that I know drives a JCW, nor mini S.

Cheers...
I find my MINI dealership to be good with these things. Take the car in. I'm sure they will make it right.
Everything can be repaired....just make sure that you are happy with the fitment of the new seat cover. I've had problems with this in the past.
Good luck

Old 06-29-2016, 05:40 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Echo that, dealership should handle all these as warranty issues with zero expense to you. Unacceptable that these passed inspection prior to delivery (but nothing can be done now).

As to the engine noise you refer to, not sure exactly what it is you are hearing that is not enjoyable. If you've driven other Mini's and they did not exhibit a similar sound, then it definitely should be addressed by the dealer. Honestly, I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary w/ my MCS w/ JCW tune when the engine is warm and running (admittedly I'm rarely standing in front of the car while it's been running), but the times where I have left it running and passed by the front, I noticed nothing unusual sounding.

Sorry to hear of your issues. But as stated, all can be fixed at the dealership w/ the bill paid by Mini/BMW.

Last edited by USA-RET; 06-29-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:15 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Echo that, dealership should handl all these as warranty issues with zero expense to you. Unacceptable that these passed inspection prior to delivery (but nothing can be done now).

As to the engine noise you refer to, not sure exactly what it is you are hearing that is not enjoyable. If you've driven other Mini's and they did not exhibit a similar sound, then it definitely should be addressed by the dealer. Honestly, I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary w/ my MCS w/ JCW tune when the engine is warm and running (admittedly I'm rarely standing in front of the car while it's been running), but the times where I have left it running and passed by the front, I noticed nothing unusual sounding.

Sorry to hear of your issues. But as stated, all can be fixed at the dealership w/ the bill paid by Mini/BMW.
Well said. Just to add to this. You do not have to take the car back to the dealer you purchased it from either. Any dealer will correct these issues.
Keep us posted!

Old 06-29-2016, 08:00 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
yes and no...

I was surprised with the seat, front fender light marker. Not so much by the rotor (car needs to be driven for that) and probably the pads were probably not installed correctly. As for the engine sound, it doesn't sound broken, it just doesn't sound mechanically petrol smooth. But rather dieselly like.

The reason I purchased it out of state was because the dealers locally are very poor.

Cheers

Old 06-29-2016, 08:14 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Yeah, understand the purchase out of state. Fortunately I feel blessed to have a dealership with an excellent staff and great service people (although sales are pretty much MSRP minus published factory incentives) their service manager is beyond excellent.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
I Moowas surprised with the seat, front fender light marker. Not so much by the rotor (car needs to be driven for that) and probably the pads were probably not installed correctly. As for the engine sound, it doesn't sound broken, it just doesn't sound mechanically petrol smooth. But rather dieselly like.

The reason I purchased it out of state was because the dealers locally are very poor.

Cheers
When you say they are poor you mean sales? That's who you bought the car from or mechanics aren't trained properly? ....or maybe you know someone who had a bad repair?

Old 06-29-2016, 10:57 AM
rmcintos
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
As for the engine sound, it doesn't sound broken, it just doesn't sound mechanically petrol smooth. But rather dieselly like.
Is this your first Mini? If so, I too was surprised at the idle sound of the engine on Mini's... it's unlike any other car I've owned. It has somewhat a a purring/ticking noise, which is completely normal for them.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:47 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
yes it is...

I have not had a "toy" in a long while (over 10 years), and my previous vehicle was a 1994 MR2 Turbo that was heavily modified. The engine was not what I would compare to my "other" toys from the past, the 3SGTE engine was a 2 litre and it made a sewing machine like idle.

The JCW engine has a lower compression ratio than the Mini S engine, and it makes a sound similar to a diesel engine imho. In fact, it sounds at idle very similarly to the NON S Mini 3 cylinder engine which BMW has not spent any time tuning for sound LOL.

I miss my 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 all aluminum head and block 6 cylinder engine. At idle it sounded like an orchestra of mechanical symphony, and reving at idle, it sounding like ripping expensive connoly leather.

Oh well... maybe BMW should of put the audio acoustic enhancer under the hood

Old 06-29-2016, 12:30 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
I have not had a "toy" in a long while (over 10 years), and my previous vehikcle was a 1994 MR2 Turbo that was heavily modified. The engine was not what I would compare to my "other" toys from the past, the 3SGTE engine was a 2 litre and it made a sewing machine like idle.

The JCW engine has a lower compression ratio than the Mini S engine, and it makes a sound similar to a diesel engine imho. In fact, it sounds at idle very similarly to the NON S Mini 3 cylinder engine which BMW has not spent any time tuning for sound LOL.

I miss my 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 all aluminum head and block 6 cylinder engine. At idle it sounded like an orchestra of mechanical symphony, and reving at idle, it sounding like ripping expensive connoly leather.

Oh well... maybe BMW should of put the audio acoustic enhancer under the hood
Also had a GTV6 (86). Dark grey. Remember those head gaskets!
Sweet sound...

Old 06-29-2016, 12:39 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Yes!!!

Originally Posted by GregoryK
Also had a GTV6 (86). Dark grey. Remember those head gaskets!
Sweet sound...
I was lucky, I was a second owner who purchased it from the dealer on a trade in (1980 Fiat Spyder 2000 white / red) and the previous owner did one thing right with the car, he paid for the Alfa Romeo approved modification which somehow addressed the issue with the headgaskets by rerouting the oil supply and relieving the pressure or issues with the headgasket. Never had headgasket issues. Can't say the same for the bl@@dy air conditioner and lack of dealer service support.

Mine was black on black (hid on the black trim and bits on the car) with the silver momo 17 star rims. I LOVED that car. Preppies of the day would stop and ask me if it was a BMW model or something

How does this look like and 80's BMW ?!?!?!

Last edited by LormaD; 06-29-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 06-29-2016, 01:00 PM
toyopet
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers...
What you are most likely hearing is the direct injection. But as someone suggested, listen to another JCW or S at idle.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:02 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by toyopet
What you are most likely hearing is the direct injection. But as someone suggested, listen to another JCW or S at idle.

will try (i am going to go to my local dealer WHERE I did not buy my JCW to ask them)