1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 K&N RU-1540 install question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 12:15 PM
felix_434
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N RU-1540 install question

I just bought a 2012 Countryman S and want to gain HP on a limited budget. I researched to put in a K&N RU-1540 into the stock airbox. It appears even with CAI's not too much HP gains?

Any thoughts?

Old 06-27-2016, 01:33 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That was my takeaway as well from researching this when I bought my 2012 MCS; the stock airbox actually flows air pretty well, not much gain available with that avenue. I replaced with a K&N for servicing / long life reasons, can't say that I noticed any performance difference.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:00 AM
JuanTheHuman
2nd Gear
Hi FELIX,

Correct, a CAI will only increase HP by a nominal amount. However, it is definitely a good foundation for other mods. It will definitely increase air flow over a paper element filter, and will also filter the air more effectively. Additionally, over the life of the filter, it will pay itself off by not having to buy paper filters, rather, you will be cleaning it.

The CAI will also give you a much better sound, which is a plus!

Unfortunately, with Mini, "on a budget" is hard to do, but if you wanted to effectively increase HP, ECU tuning is the avenue you want to take. (MANIC MOTORSPORTS!!!)

However, most tuning software requires the basic bolt-on hardware mods, which you are beginning to do, considering your about to purchase an intake system.

After modding many vehicles, I have found that patience is best. Forget the "OTB" and save up a good amount of money for each mod and do it right the first time. For example, the NM Engineering Intake System replaces the flimsy, ribbed, intake tubing and turbo inlet with an entire air intake assembly featuring a larger volume, high-quality silicone turbo inlet as well as a larger diameter, aluminum or carbon fiber intake tube that has no ribbed elbows or kinks along its body. These parts lead into a large "K&N" Stainless Steel Mesh Cylindrical Filter.

Here is a photo of my NM System...

The system is expensive, but as stated earlier, the better the bolt-ons, the more effective your tuning program will be.

You will run into the same options in terms of exhaust. Sure, you can buy an axle-back made out of T409 for a couple hundred bucks, and get a better sound, but that's all it will do. However, to increase performance, you will want a full DP-Back that eliminates your 2nd Cat & Rez and is made of high-quality, larger diameter T304, TIG welded and mandrel bent...For example, the VIP Custom system! Additionally, a high-flow cat DP or catless DP will definitely maximize the HP performance from any added exhaust system.

The 2 products I have mentioned to you are not the only options. There are plenty of other very high-quality manufacturers offering an array of options. All i'm saying is to take your time, do some research, and save up some money.

So to summarize my long answer to your short question... The $50 K&N Filter will definitely not hurt. It will sound better and will save you from buying paper elements. But that's it. You said you wanted HP so that is why I started talking about the other options you should be thinking about.

Good Luck! Drive Safe & Drive Often. Over & Out.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:26 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Air Intake

Originally Posted by felix_434
I just bought a 2012 Countryman S and want to gain HP on a limited budget. I researched to put in a K&N RU-1540 into the stock airbox. It appears even with CAI's not too much HP gains?

Any thoughts?
Hi feelix!

Here are some articles and options for a cold air intake for your model MINI. The application guide is also useful. We also have replacement filters and the maintenance kit, along with staged tuning kits. Please let us know if we can help!

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Results/intake/All

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:25 PM
felix_434
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow

Yes thanks for the great responses! I have had an 03 MCS back in the day as you can see from my signature. (Which I'm not sure how to change!)
Anyway yes I do want to have a nice strong, fast set up and appreciate the useful knowledge. I do believe I will go with m7 tuning and stage packages! I was just beginning to do some research on exhaust. I'm used to the old superchargers, not this whole turbo set up. Up tubes, downtubes, sideways tubes, you get my drift! lol But yes I would like a complete exhaust set up, as well as induction around the turbo charger. (Love that turbo sticker by the way!)

Last edited by felix_434; 06-28-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:45 PM
dpike
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
on a budget, the jb+ and a sprint booster make it feel like there's a big difference.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:08 AM
JuanTheHuman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by felix_434
I'm used to the old superchargers, not this whole turbo set up. Up tubes, downtubes, sideways tubes, you get my drift! lol But yes I would like a complete exhaust set up, as well as induction around the turbo charger. (Love that turbo sticker by the way!)
To edit your SIG: Go to the top right corner where it says your user name>Click User CP>Settings on the left tabs>EDIT SIGNATURE.

Just to give you a quick rundown on the exhaust setup... The Downpipe is a catalytic converter immediately after the turbo. The Downpipe leads to the "front section" of the exhaust, which consists of a 2nd catalytic converter as well as a resonator, which is another name for a muffler. After the 2nd Cat & Rez, is a long tube that meets up to the beginning of the "Catback System", meaning everything from the 2nd catalytic converter to the exhaust tip.

The catback system consists of a long tube that meets up with the front section, which extends rearward and mates to the OEM muffler.

When searching for an exhaust system, you may come across an "axle-back system", which consists of only the rearmost section, or from the rear axle and back... It would basically replace the OEM Muffler and exhaust tips and mate them to the existing OEM catback tubing mentioned previously.

I suggest finding a system made out of T304, rather than T409. T409 is a lower quality stainless steel and will eventually rust out. T304 will soundly outlast the car and will be found by future archaeologists, after WW3... LOL.

As mentioned before, there are many good manufacturers offering an array of great systems. I am extremely happy with my setup, which is a Frankenstein of sorts: AKROPOVIC DOWNPIPE, VIP CUSTOM FRONT SECTION, NM ENGINEERING CATBACK.

Here is a link to my build thread, where I put all of my photos and all of the installation tips & info from my build:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...it-begins.html

Here are a few photos of the exhaust setup to give you an idea:

Old 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sprint Booster, exhaust

Hi felix:

Here is the correct Sprint Booster for your model and we have pages on pages of customer reviews who just love it.

http://new.minimania.com/Search_Resu...ooster/default

There are also Borla and NM exhaust systems you may like!

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMK4...0-From-04-2012

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMK4...ountryman-2011

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.