F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Little fed up with ProClip - other suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 02:46 PM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little fed up with ProClip - other suggestions?

I have a ProClip in my 2015 Mini Cooper right now, but it just never felt sturdy or solid. I have had to put double-sided tape to get it to feel somewhat better, but it looks terrible. Today the clip that holds it in place has broken off so I had to put in a bunch of new double-sided tape. I know it is just a matter of time and a rough road before it falls down. Not to mention it looks terrible.

Is there another clip that people use that works better? I have an iPhone 6S Plus and a Sirius XM Onyx receiver.

I would be okay with a different mount with each. I do use the USB on the iPhone and the power + aux input for the Onyx.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:19 PM
ToThePublic
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use the same ProClip in my 2015. Any issues I've had have always been quickly resolved by their customer support. If it's broken, they will replace. You just have to send them a picture. I had the same issues and a new unit took care of them. Hope that helps.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:50 PM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
That is good to hear. Wondering if they have refined this at all. Where they have adhesive looks like it would never be able to adhere to anything. Does yours look similar to mine @ToThePublic?

Old 07-31-2016, 05:08 PM
ToThePublic
2nd Gear
It does look the same. The adhesive barely contacts, but does just enough to hold it steady. Have had a few defects and bad adhesive placement, but received one that worked well. Just have to work with them a bit. Hope it works out. If not, there are definitely a lot of other solutions on the market. I'm not very familiar any others though.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:24 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
I switched to nochoice magnets and I got a roll of this 3m double sided tape stuff that's used for putting side skirts on cars, the stuff is amazing, replace the nochoice tape for the 3m stuff

Old 07-31-2016, 05:46 PM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
I was thinking I needed to get some better double sided tape. I think the stuff I have right now is good for keeping a picture in a frame....I'll find something a little more durable once I get a replacement mount.

I really like the ProClip. It's been in there for at least a year (probably more) but it was getting looser and looser every day. I finally had enough and tried to get it more sturdy today. I probably need to take a deep breath. LOL

Old 07-31-2016, 05:48 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
try the 3m stuff it's amazeballs they also sell primer paint pens so you can properly prep an area for it to bond to

good luck getting it off later if you have to

Old 07-31-2016, 08:59 PM
MyOrangeOne
2nd Gear
Mine works perfect. Added one to my Element. I didn't even use the adhesive.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:12 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I went with this...

It's photos, but not my car...

I went with this, it is a knock off of something craven speed makes, but a whole lot cheaper, for my F56 JCW 2DR HB.

The good?
- It is solid.
- Looks OEM.
- Clamp shell fits 90% of phones (iphone 6 plus, nexus 6 won't fit without modding the clamp shell).
- 50% cheaper than Craven Speed with ZERO benefits from Craven Speed (they do not sell parts, in case something breaks, so not worth paying premium price).

The Bad?
- Location of phone is blocked by steering wheel if you clamp phone by the top portion of the phone (hence, phone sits lower and flush with dash), hence you cannot use it without having to move your head to see the screen.
- Mounting your phone like the photos, and the field of vision is blocked by the phone. It really gets in way having it that high up. I don't know how people could DRIVE they Mini (it comes with such little front windshield to start with) that way.

Cheers

P.S. Best choice ? ? ? get a magnet, past the rubberized magnet mount somewhere on the dash and the other (metal) portion to your phone. Have that for my other vehicles.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:59 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's a knock-off of the MINI Click & Drive.

Very interesting!

You must be rather short, I'm pretty tall, all I see at that angle behind where the phone is is the dashboard.

How does the clamp shell attach on the arm?

Last edited by hammerhands; 08-02-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:25 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands
That's a knock-off of the MINI Click & Drive.

Very interesting!

You must be rather short, I'm pretty tall, all I see at that angle behind where the phone is is the dashboard.

How does the clamp shell attach on the arm?
Well, there is a few factors to take into consideration...

1. I am 6' 2", so I am not considered short. I do like to drive, in my seat. By that, I recline my seat (not hip hop laid back, I am in a mtv video laid back) so that I am actually sitting in my seat and my back is in the seat back. I get a better seat of the pants feel of what is going on.

2. I have a phablet. A Google Nexus 6. If you have seen or used the phone, you will note that the power, volume up and volume down are all on the same side of the phone (the right side, when the phone is facing you). Therefore, in order for the clamp to not bite down on the power or volume button, it sits very high, or, it sits very low in the clamp. And I do not like where it sits, in the clamp and sticks straight up. It basically sits just below the sweet spot of vision, and the eyes are doing the camera focus far and close action. Not for me. I don't text and drive and basically want the phone secured so it doesn't roll around.

3. The clamp portion basically "plugs" into the clamp arm and is secured in place by a press to lock down switch. It holds the clamp like a C clamp cotter pin would. It can be released and the arm will swing into the mount discreetly. The clamp also adjusts up, down, left right to "position" the phone any where you want and stays in place by friction.

Correction, I was looking for the "trademark", and your right, click and drive, so it even Less expensive than that by like 75%.

Cheers

Last edited by LormaD; 08-02-2016 at 04:26 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-05-2016, 08:50 AM
mvalpreda
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MyOrangeOne
Mine works perfect. Added one to my Element. I didn't even use the adhesive.
I put one in my HR-V and it's perfect. The mounting location is also a bit better without so many angles and such.

I ordered a new ProClip for the Mini and hopefully it will be okay. I'll get some good double-sided tape to make sure it doesn't move.

Can someone with a ProClip and navi send me pictures from the top down where it attaches by the A/C vent and the navi screen? I want to make sure I'm actually attaching this right...even though it really shouldn't be too difficult!

Old 08-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Qik420
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cravenspeed makes the best mounts I've found. Pricey but great quality.
http://www.cravenspeed.com/smart-phone-mounts/

Old 08-05-2016, 04:11 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
nope

Originally Posted by Qik420
Cravenspeed makes the best mounts I've found. Pricey but great quality.
http://www.cravenspeed.com/smart-phone-mounts/
I find the viewing and location not to be ideal. But that is just me. The mount SHOULD, imho, be located where the ring is on the drivers side. Behind the steering is just wrong.

Cheers

Old 08-06-2016, 12:11 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear

Best bang for the buck 99p phone holder fitted to my f56

Phone just clips into place no magnets

Old 08-06-2016, 03:24 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
Nice... BUT lol

#Dragon# FWIW...
This mount will not work on phablet sized phones... iPhone 6s, Nexus 6 etc... The phone size alone will not be wide enough to hold the phone in place. I am not convinced it would work with 5.5" phones using a case either.

I still think the magnet clip is perhaps a excellent alternative.

This would be a better alternative if you don't mind losing an air vent,

The only downside is, if you like wireless charging you will be SOL. The back housing that sticks to the phone will light up like a hotplate if you sit the phone on a wireless charger.

Cheers

Old 08-06-2016, 04:17 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LormaD
#Dragon# FWIW...
This mount will not work on phablet sized phones... iPhone 6s, Nexus 6 etc... The phone size alone will not be wide enough to hold the phone in place. I am not convinced it would work with 5.5" phones using a case either.

I still think the magnet clip is perhaps a excellent alternative.

This would be a better alternative if you don't mind losing an air vent,

The only downside is, if you like wireless charging you will be SOL. The back housing that sticks to the phone will light up like a hotplate if you sit the phone on a wireless charger.

Cheers
no problem for 99p it fits my samsung note five and will expand wider

Old 08-06-2016, 05:27 AM
LormaD
3rd Gear
#Dragon#

With a CASE ?!?!?!?

Old 08-06-2016, 01:11 PM
ToThePublic
2nd Gear
Just saw that Burger Motor Sports has a pretty slick phone mounting solution. Those guys are awesome and make quality stuff. Looks like it's magnetic and can mount anywhere and tilt. Def on my short list now.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:19 PM
LormaD
3rd Gear
if your talking about this...

Originally Posted by ToThePublic
Just saw that Burger Motor Sports has a pretty slick phone mounting solution. Those guys are awesome and make quality stuff. Looks like it's magnetic and can mount anywhere and tilt. Def on my short list now.

If your talking about this, then I have this in another car. It is a design readily available from various websites, and from various over seas manufactures.

The only draw back with a magnetic mount, is the fact that there is a metal plate or part that is glued or placed between the phone and the case. A requirement of a magnetic mount. You will not be able to use your phone with a wireless charger.

Cheers

P.S. cost me like 3-4$ to purchase some from overseas (ebay I think I chose).

Old 08-06-2016, 01:29 PM
ToThePublic
2nd Gear
That's the one. Just giving a nod to a quality aftermarket company rather than cheap crap. No worries.