Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Temperamental Top

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:03 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Temperamental Top

About every third time I try to raise the top on my 2005 Cooper S Cabrio (build date 09/04) it will not close without fiddling with the rear hatch area. (never a problem putting the top down - only raising it) Red light on the top–up button flashes and top mechanism is quiet. Have to open/close the locking levers, make sure the parcel shelf is squarely on the micro switch, and sometimes lift/close the “convenience loading” hinge. So far this type of jiggling has not failed to get the top working but it seems to be getting more frequent and difficult. Anyone got any experience with this? Seems possible I will need to replace the “locking mechanism” (#27 in pic below) which contains both the parcel shelf switch and the lever closed switch. However, my Bentley manual seems to indicate that both switches might be separately replaceable? Also, Bentley lists rear seat and rear interior side trim removal as necessary to get the hatch interior trim off to get at the switches. But it looks like the plastic trim that cover the switch area might come off more easily than that.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts
There's also the little button on the upper left hand side facing the boot hatch. It has a short throw. I would up putting a small chair leg pad opposite on the inside of the hatch.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:51 AM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
There's also the little button on the upper left hand side facing the boot hatch. It has a short throw. I would up putting a small chair leg pad opposite on the inside of the hatch.
Is the boot hatch open/close micro switch part of the top locking mechanism?

Old 08-02-2016, 07:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,017 Likes on 1,813 Posts
Its the micro switch for the shelf that if not pressed and working will stop the top from opening all the way.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-go-down.html

Its on the driver side under the rear foot of the removable parcel shelf / deck shelf .

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-06-2016, 05:49 AM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Its the micro switch for the shelf that if not pressed and working will stop the top from opening all the way.
Both the shelf switch and the lever switch can cause the top not to work, right?

I've ohm'd out both switches with a multi meter and they seem OK. But the action/click of the lever switch isn't great - it may be on the way out. Unfortunately both switches seem to be no longer available. Considering jumpering both plugs (car side) and re-assembling without the switches. My parcel shelf is never in the up position.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:30 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MassMini
BothConsidering jumpering both plugs (car side) and re-assembling without the switches. My parcel shelf is never in the up position.
So I jumpered the car side micro switch connectors (the female sides) and reassembled. Started it up and put the top down/up once no problem. Immediately put it down a second time and it refused to go back up. Red LED on down button flashes like before. Anyone know if there's a way to reset the roof system?

Old 08-10-2016, 06:52 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Finally got around to reading the codes for the top (using Creator C310).
Before resetting I saw these two codes.

After resetting I see only one of the two codes.

Anyone know what "22 switch, cowl unlocked, short to ground or open circuit" is referring to?
Are "22 switch" and "21 switch" the trunk micro switches? Or maybe they are Hall sensors somewhere else in the roof?

Old 08-21-2016, 05:48 PM
MassMini
3rd Gear
Update: After letting the car sit for over a week I was able to get the top (mostly) up without resorting to the manual closing procedure... First I just started the car and pushed the up button - same as before - up button LED flashed and top did not move. Next I gently moved the the folded top up down by the exposed part to the side frames. After that the top would move with the button but only a couple inches before it would stop. If I released the button, waited a second or two, then pushed the up button again the top would again close another couple inches. By repeating this 20+ times I was able to get the top closed to the point shown in the picture below. The guide pins are resting in the receiving holes at the top of the windshield but the underside clamps are not working. I cycled the up button about 10 more times from this position without any change then stopped. With the car running the LED is continually flashing - once I shut the car off LED continues flashing for less than a minute then stops. I re-read the code and it was the same as before (shown below). Now, with the top in this position, I can reset the code(s) completely. But after resetting noting changes in the roof behavior.

Last edited by MassMini; 08-21-2016 at 06:10 PM.