1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Mini World

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 05:38 PM
David Mosley
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the Mini World

I just picked up a 2005 Cooper S and I am loving it! It has its blemishes, but I have high hopes for it.

Here is what she looks like:

Old 09-24-2016, 05:45 PM
NickW1
1st Gear
Very nice Mini sorta all Darth looking, very cool!

Old 09-24-2016, 05:55 PM
David Mosley
Neutral
Originally Posted by NickW1
Very nice Mini sorta all Darth looking, very cool!
Thanks! The paint is a little rough in some places, and the headlight washer plate is missing on one side, but it drives very wheel and the interior is fairly clean. Overall, I am very happy so far.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:25 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, David.
I have never been a happy black owner, but when clean, they look great! (5minutes after washing) I live in dust, so black does not work for me.
Yours is very Darth Vader, with all black and the silver wheels bring it out more!
A few blemishes allows you to abuse it more than a perfect car, so enjoy it accordingly!

Old 09-25-2016, 09:04 AM
David Mosley
Neutral
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to NAM, David.
I have never been a happy black owner, but when clean, they look great! (5minutes after washing) I live in dust, so black does not work for me.
Yours is very Darth Vader, with all black and the silver wheels bring it out more!
A few blemishes allows you to abuse it more than a perfect car, so enjoy it accordingly!
Thank you for the welcome. The black does need some care. I think I will be looking for a good detail shop to do a clay bar wax job on it. I don't have the patience to do it myself...

Old 09-25-2016, 12:34 PM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome, great looking MINI!

Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
New MINI Owner

Hi David:

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to NAM! Lots of grins ahead of you. How many miles on yours, and any repairs or upgrades you are thinking about?

I picked up an R53 this year and just love it. Please stop by our website for articles and application guides that will help keep Darth running spot on.

Any questions, please ask!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:14 PM
David Mosley
Neutral
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Hi David:

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to NAM! Lots of grins ahead of you. How many miles on yours, and any repairs or upgrades you are thinking about?

I picked up an R53 this year and just love it. Please stop by our website for articles and application guides that will help keep Darth running spot on.

Any questions, please ask!

So, it has 150K miles on it, but then again, I only paid 6K for it. As for upgrades, I am currently just looking to fix any inherited issues such as a headlight washer that is broken.

I may do other things as possible like adding a row of lights across the grill. I have already been checking over the site and I know where to go if needed.

Thanks!

Old 09-26-2016, 01:26 PM
NevadaMini
2nd Gear
Congrats!

Congratulations! I too recently joined the Mini world with an all black R53. Like yours, it's not perfect. The paint is good from about 10ft. Close inspection reveals some surface scratches and scuffs here and there. I too have been in the process of de-chroming. I have the belt line and the door handles to go still. I'm REALLY enjoying the car! I've had it since Feb this year, and am still inventing errands to run and excuses to drive it. It's just a kick! Enjoy!

BTW, you've found a great community here! LOTS of knowledge and people willing to help if you have questions. READ a bunch and familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of the R53.

-Tony

Old 09-26-2016, 03:17 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Welcome to NAM and the world of MINIs!

Originally Posted by NevadaMini
Congratulations! I too recently joined the Mini world with an all black R53. Like yours, it's not perfect. The paint is good from about 10ft. Close inspection reveals some surface scratches and scuffs here and there. I too have been in the process of de-chroming. I have the belt line and the door handles to go still. I'm REALLY enjoying the car! I've had it since Feb this year, and am still inventing errands to run and excuses to drive it. It's just a kick! Enjoy!

BTW, you've found a great community here! LOTS of knowledge and people willing to help if you have questions. READ a bunch and familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of the R53.

-Tony
Sounds great David, let us know how we can help. Hi NevadaMini, did you previously post some pix?

Old 09-27-2016, 01:48 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,023 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Welcome, looks like someone already blacked allot of stuff out for you.

Aero grille on the front and they added Aero side skirts.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-28-2016, 11:08 AM
David Mosley
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Welcome, looks like someone already blacked allot of stuff out for you.

Aero grille on the front and they added Aero side skirts.
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the info about the grill and side skirts, I figured something was a little different, but did not know the brand.

Thanks again!

Old 09-28-2016, 01:30 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,023 Likes on 1,817 Posts
You are weclome. Yes I know it well.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-29-2016, 04:48 PM
NevadaMini
2nd Gear
Hi "Mini Mania". Yep, I posted pix in this forum when I first got it. I don't want to hijack David's thread here, but check out my profile for photos of the "black out" process if you like. I have black "S-Lites" on it now. Wheels / suspension / brakes are "next on the list".

@ David Mosley (OP)... Fair warning. This WILL develop into a sickness. Since I got the car, there has been a "next (mod) on the list"... I suspect there will be as long as I own the car.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:56 PM
David Mosley
Neutral
Oh, I understand the mod bug. I just sold my old diesel Excursion and I had $15k+ in mods in that thing.

I will not go that deep with this project, just a few odds and ends to ensure it is running correct and strong!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:22 PM
NevadaMini
2nd Gear
Sounds like a fun rig! Yea, you'd have to go some to exceed $15K on an R53. (not that it hasn't done.) That must be quite the shock to the system in terms of the difference in driving experience. I too went from 4x4 to MINI. (Mid-size SUV with a mild lift / tires). It took a minute to come to terms with the feeling that just about EVERYTHING on the road was bigger than me. :/ I find I drive far more defensively in my MINI. I just assume nobody can see me. Staying out of blind spots, etc.

Last edited by NevadaMini; 09-29-2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-30-2016, 05:49 AM
David Mosley
Neutral
It is funny, since downsizing, I feel like I am back on a motorcycle. So small that no one can see me, yet enough power and maneuverability to get out of a situation as needed.

I wonder if the mantra "loud pipes, save lives" works for minis as well?

Old 09-30-2016, 02:31 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Mini World

My R53 came with the Sports + Suspension and I find myself not only dodging pot holes but manhole covers as well. Makes for an interesting ride for my passengers.