1st Gen Countryman (R60) Talk (2010-2015) R60 Countryman Discussions

R60 2nd cat & res delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 10:39 AM
haztronic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd cat & res delete

I am wanting to get my 2nd cat and res deleted after doing some research online, it seems like a great trick to make the exhaust louder until i can buy a Milltek in 6 or so months.

I live in Cali and just got a quote and the guy said they can't take off the cat. Will no mechanics do this?

Old 10-11-2016, 11:01 AM
bkmc24
2nd Gear
No mechanics are willing to risk it during business hours. If the EPA showed up and saw the cat no on there, the fines are astronomical. And being in Cali, even worse.

I would advise just sitting on it as-is, putting the money in savings, and save up for the Milltek instead. Seems counterproductive to spend money on a stock piece you plan to replace anyhow..

Old 10-11-2016, 11:03 AM
haztronic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bkmc24
No mechanics are willing to risk it during business hours. If the EPA showed up and saw the cat no on there, the fines are astronomical. And being in Cali, even worse.

I would advise just sitting on it as-is, putting the money in savings, and save up for the Milltek instead. Seems counterproductive to spend money on a stock piece you plan to replace anyhow..
What if i were to replace it with a straight pipe?

Old 10-11-2016, 11:30 AM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That is known as "test pipe" and should be fitted with slip fit connectors.

ISAMIN

Old 10-11-2016, 03:02 PM
bkmc24
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by haztronic
What if i were to replace it with a straight pipe?

straight pipe refers to essentially welding in "straight piping," where a cat or resonator would be. Like quoted below, a "test pipe," is where you take explicitly a cat out, and replace it with "straight piping."

Originally Posted by isamin
That is known as "test pipe" and should be fitted with slip fit connectors.

ISAMIN

My personal opinion is to just save. Coming from the Honda world, this isn't a $2000 civic and the parts aren't as cheap or readily available to bop across town and grab. I would not worry about it now, put the money aside, and wait until you can afford quality, proven parts that will actually help. Delayed gratification blows, but it is something you should understand and practice with a nice, newer car. And for the price, you could snag a catless downpipe and install it yourself and see gains you were looking for by deleting cats/resonators. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:38 PM
haztronic
2nd Gear
I am taking everything into consideration but for such a cheap mod, I would just like to try it out. Would just a resonator delete make a difference on the sound of my CM?

Old 10-11-2016, 04:43 PM
bkmc24
2nd Gear
Resonators are meant to absorb noise, so it could make it more raspy. It will definitely make it louder, but the turbo helps reduce the rasp a good amount. If I were you, and were dead set on removing anything, it would just be the cat. Keep in mind emission's and all of that fun stuff living in the most obnoxious state regarding them lol

Old 10-14-2016, 10:58 AM
frankthetank77
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by haztronic
I am wanting to get my 2nd cat and res deleted after doing some research online, it seems like a great trick to make the exhaust louder until i can buy a Milltek in 6 or so months.

I live in Cali and just got a quote and the guy said they can't take off the cat. Will no mechanics do this?
I too live in Cali and CARB is a complete joke! And no, any legit muffler/mechanic won't risk losing their license for this. CARB has even done stings in the past to put those willing to do illegal work out of business or fine them heavily.

There are work arounds for this, and someone correct me if I'm off, but from the CAT back if you were to increase the size of your piping, and I do think the resonator can be removed as others have mentioned, find a good muffler, and have some custom piping from the muffler back to the tips. 3" should give some nice low end, and if you have an S, should give you some nice pop and burble!

Did a muffler on mine a few months ago and just that alone sounds pretty nice. I'm thinking of going back and doing the same exact thing I just mentioned.

If you live in central Cali I know a good place, if you're interested.

Here is the THREAD for the same muffler done to my GF's r57. I linked this because the R57 exhaust piping is as straight as it gets compared to our R60.

Either way, just food for thought!

Old 10-14-2016, 12:02 PM
bkmc24
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by frankthetank77
I too live in Cali and CARB is a complete joke! And no, any legit muffler/mechanic won't risk losing their license for this. CARB has even done stings in the past to put those willing to do illegal work out of business or fine them heavily.

There are work arounds for this, and someone correct me if I'm off, but from the CAT back if you were to increase the size of your piping, and I do think the resonator can be removed as others have mentioned, find a good muffler, and have some custom piping from the muffler back to the tips. 3" should give some nice low end, and if you have an S, should give you some nice pop and burble!

Did a muffler on mine a few months ago and just that alone sounds pretty nice. I'm thinking of going back and doing the same exact thing I just mentioned.

If you live in central Cali I know a good place, if you're interested.

Here is the THREAD for the same muffler done to my GF's r57. I linked this because the R57 exhaust piping is as straight as it gets compared to our R60.

Either way, just food for thought!

From what I have read and researched, we do not benefit from 3in exhaust due to the small turbo size. I have emailed Outmotoring on this, and it seems that 2.5 is the right size for a stock mini turbo for best flow, hence why almost all aftermarket exhausts are said size, instead of 3 inch.

http://www.tercelreference.com/terce...st_theory.html

Here is a good thread explaining exhaust sizing based on NA/Boosted. Hope it helps!

Old 10-14-2016, 12:22 PM
frankthetank77
2nd Gear
From what I have read and researched, we do not benefit from 3in exhaust due to the small turbo size. I have emailed Outmotoring on this, and it seems that 2.5 is the right size for a stock mini turbo for best flow, hence why almost all aftermarket exhausts are said size, instead of 3 inch.

http://www.tercelreference.com/terce...st_theory.html

Here is a good thread explaining exhaust sizing based on NA/Boosted. Hope it helps!
Great read! Thanks for sharing. This in terms of performance gains is right on the money, but as far as sound, or "louder" exhaust, the 3" may give that benefit. May give that benefit...but I'm with you!

Quick excerpt from the read...
"...At 250 hp, 2.5" is fine. Going to 3" at this power level won't get you much, if anything, other than a louder exhaust note....”

Old 10-15-2016, 02:11 PM
haztronic
2nd Gear
I just got back from the muffler shop and I just got a muffle delete with Y pipes and new 3.5in chrome tips. Overall I am quite happy. Much deeper sounding tone and is consistent. I get some pops when shifting down. I left the rez on

Old 10-15-2016, 02:18 PM
bkmc24
2nd Gear
Pics? I can imagine the tips look way better than those stock All4 non-jcw peashooters.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:19 PM
haztronic
2nd Gear
Pics? I can imagine the tips look way better than those stock All4 non-jcw peashooters.
I'll put up a pic and video later on today. They look mean

Old 10-15-2016, 06:34 PM
haztronic
2nd Gear
Here's the video and pics of the tips. It sounds much deeper/nicer when the car is actually moving but you can hear the pops here. Like most videos, they don't do the sound any justice.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:19 PM
bkmc24
2nd Gear
Looks good man! Didn't get to hear it too well, work speakers suck! That thing needs some lowering!

Old 10-19-2016, 02:15 AM
haztronic
2nd Gear
Looks good man! Didn't get to hear it too well, work speakers suck! That thing needs some lowering!
I've thought about lowering it but I just think Countrymans look strange lowered compared to the 2 door.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:38 PM
B2FiNiTY
3rd Gear
If you get some wheels, THEN lower it, it will look great.

Otherwise on stock wheels, kinda just looks sunken.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:42 PM
bkmc24
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by B2FiNiTY
If you get some wheels, THEN lower it, it will look great.

Otherwise on stock wheels, kinda just looks sunken.

I like mine on stock wheels lol. Only issue I have is rear camber, which I am fixing when I do snow tires. OBVIOUSLY aftermarket wheels look better, but I love my H&R's on my CM. Beauty of car modifications, to each their own.