F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Leather Choices - Cross Punch or Lounge Leather

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 07:44 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Leather Choices - Cross Punch or Lounge Leather

Getting close to final order. Just like to know your opinions on the leather seating options. I would like leather and I am considering both the Cross Punch and MINI Yours Lounge leather, both in black. Appreciate any advice you may have.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:56 AM
spyked
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I never considered the Cross Punch, but did have every intention of getting Lounge Leather. I ended up not getting leather at all, as I swear I can "feel" the seams in the Lounge option. Gorgeous seats but I wasn't sure the seams would "soften" enough to not be felt. I would sit in both for a test drive if you can.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:13 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
I have the Cross Punch, very nice. However I bought my car used and would never have paid for leather. The days of me spending extra for those things are over. Leatherette on our CM is comfy and holds up really well. After almost 50K you can't tell that the seats are used.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:05 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 510 Likes on 384 Posts
We are enjoying the satellite grey lounge leather sport seats in our Clubman. The look is stunning. However not good if you have dogs or children climbing about. The lighter color shows dirt.

The sport seats are far from posh. BMW firm for sure. Power adjustment is nice, but not as adjustable as some other high-line cars. No memory feature for passenger, which seems cheap.

It's easier on the wallet to add all the pricey extras onto a lease, but if buying a car new, it is a stiff tariff to pay unless you really want the look and the bells and whistles.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had my Cooper S for a little over a year now. It has satellite grey leather. They are different seats than the standard sport seats in leatherette. They are a bit wider and have adjustable lumbar support. The one compliment I get from my friends when they first sit in my car is: " Wow! These seats are so comfortable!" I've had loaners from the dealer with the leatherette and didn't find them quite as comfy. They feel more sticky to the touch which could be a good thing if you're jamming through some turns, but I find that my seats hold me in just as well, and me being woman, I Didn't think I'd like the feel of the seats on a hot summer day while wearing a dress.

I havent sat in the cross punch but from what I have learned about leather through my interior design studies is: that if it's perforated, it's usually a lower grade of leather. Meaning it's not full grain and doesn't breath as well as non full grain, this being the necessity for the perforations in the leather (i.e. The cross punch design). Don't take my word for it, I have no idea if this is indeed the case for Mini or any other car manufacturers seats, but a good indication is usually the price. You do get what you pay for, whether you need/like it or not. Leather costs more. Good quality leather costs even more. Ultimately it comes down to what is comfortable to you. My decision was purely aesthetics based, as satellite grey is more maintenance than black, but I love them!

Old 01-02-2017, 03:06 PM
barmybee
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think leatherette is artificial leather but could be wrong?
Not a fan of leather, hot/sweaty in summer and cold in winter, just my opinion.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:44 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Lucila ... beautiful interior! How hard is it to keep the light seats clean?

I am very partial to real leather over leatherette, although the MINI leatherette is quite good. The lounge leather really is very nice.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:45 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
While spec'ing out a F56 I looked at 100's of F56's to check out their interiors. Most were leatherette. Very few had leather. I think leather is rarely ordered due to the high cost. The only seat option that I heard rave reviews for was Black Pearl seats. I have them, and love them too.

Last edited by BMBULBE; 01-02-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:18 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Black Pearl is very nice ... a very good option.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:55 PM
Lucila
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rtowell
Lucila ... beautiful interior! How hard is it to keep the light seats clean?

I am very partial to real leather over leatherette, although the MINI leatherette is quite good. The lounge leather really is very nice.

Thank you! They aren't that difficult to keep clean. I've had blue denim transfer, grease from mechanic and normal dirt build up all come off with meguires leather wipes. I used to wipe them down weakly but have been pretty lazy lately. I just picked up some meguires spray cleaner/conditioner to use with a terry cloth. The wipes dry up quick, so I'm hoping this method will be more efficient. The wipes are probably better for light touch ups.

This is a picture of my "dirty" seat. I haven't wiped it down in over a month. Not too bad....

Last edited by Lucila; 01-03-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Hilde
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rtowell
Black Pearl is very nice ... a very good option.
I also have Black Pearl seats in my F56 S. They are comfortable, very retro looking and super easy to take care of.