R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Who is Keeping Their Clubman 'Forever'?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 04:04 PM
mini rocket
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep it forever?

Real quick, 2011 clubman s, manual trans. My wife traded in her Lexus RX for the Mini. "kids are gone". All recalls were handled by me, I drove past the dealership 3 times a week. After warranty we have had the thermostat housing replaced by me and no pressure, we have an xtra car. There has been no other car that she has embraced in her 45 years of driving. The Mini puts a smile on her face everyday. I get to drive it on the weekends and cover the maintenance. She works 7 miles from home, drops the clutch at least weekly (tires need to be replaced before rain season) and shares how much fun she has with her car. She picked up on the quote "its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" The Mini has 57K on it, as long as I can wrench on it she'll say its a keeper! Her life's goal is to pull into work on her last day and try the emergency brake parking job....It's a keeper for her......

The following users liked this post:
SirKronan (08-07-2020)
Old 10-30-2016, 04:30 PM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
1965 Austin-Cooper 1275-S (black/white) bought w/ 18,000 mi on it, drove with spirit for two years before college where freshman weren't allowed personal vehicles....

< long interval filled with Triumph GT-6, Various SAABS (with a Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo somewhere in the middle), a 'pre-driven' Grand Voyager >

Then learned MINI was BACK! Saw an R&T with a yellow one on the cover, knew I'd have to break my vow never to buy new again.

April 2003 bought a Cooper (white over yellow) off dealers lot after buyer backed out, gave the GV to Salvation Army.

Ordered a BTO S in July, took delivery in October, dropped $7,000 on the deal... but I had an S!

April 2006 & 130,000 miles later it was apparent that '03 needed suspension bushings bad but I motored on for another 5,000 miles until the '07 I'd ordered came in. Only issues with that one were a series of power steering pumps which MINI replaced free every single time. Still had the original clutch too when the buyer I found drove it home.

That '07 - with the turbo - was a lemon (black over yellow) almost from Day 01 what with the attendant issues noted here previously. I'd bought a third-party warranty in 2008 & in the end I was Very Glad I Did as it paid for itself about 2-1/2 times over despite their reluctance to cover certain items near the end.

@ 97,000 mi. oil being blown into the engine harness - among other places - is why I took advantage of the deal 'too good to refuse' the dealer offered me so I traded sideways for a new 2013 Clubman (what I'd wanted back in '07 but they wouldn't get here for another 6 months) off their lot.

Just turned 57,000 miles on that today. Don't drive nearly as much (not commuting 88 miles a day helps!) as back then but where I live now a turbo would be appreciated as long as the new BMW design doesn't suffer the flaws that Peugeot engine did.

Been thinking of moving up to a 2017 Clubman though, admitting I'm tempted but not quite sold on another five or six years' payments.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Junior Mini NC
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first R55 (and second Mini)

FOREVER. We just got our 2009 R55 S at the end of September in excellent condition. So far, we've put new tires on him, new oil pump and had some other engine work done to him. We just hit 80,000 miles this past weekend (doing a Mini run, no less).

He's going to be one of our forever cars for sure.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:31 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I hope to drive my Clubman far into the future. So far at 93,000 it's pretty healthy, but I just had my suspension clunking diagnosed as ball joints and sway arms and bushings, costing around $1500. Maybe 8 salty winters got to the ball joints?
I think of such as my occasional car payments. It works best (this keeping a car into the future) when I keep it like new, and nothing says old louder than a clanky suspension. My Koni FSDs are now innocent of any wrongdoing. I can't wait to get it fixed, maybe by early December. It's taken half a year to track this down.
I thought, as I noted a half quart low on the dipstick, that I couldn't have this simple pleasure if I had an F54 or such. No dipsticks... I like the engine aroma.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:03 PM
Al-Hajj Jameel Ibn Dawood
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bid you adieu, MINI

Originally Posted by Al-Hajj Jameel Ibn Dawood
You don't sound manic...I would've said the same thing during the time this thread was originally posted. I'd planned on keeping my 2008 Clubbie S for 7 years when I traded my 2009 R56 Hardtop for it. I got married with this car, delivered my first child with this car, and it soldiered through tens of thousands of miles of communing to school, visiting family, and all across Florida, and NEVER LEFT ME STRANDED. Granted, it needed maintenance a number of times, but curiously, this always occurred right when I was on school breaks (Thank God!). I went from ~53,500 to 116,722 miles without any major incidents, and no towing over 3 1/2 years.

However...the clutch burned out on 30 March, and it's been an arduous task to replace it. Chalk much of it up to inexperience, and a number of other distractions, but I doubt I can continue to maintain the car. As you can see in this screenshot from my "Maintenance Logbook",

I'm already in for $5150 in maintenance, much of that "unscheduled" repairs. I've only spent $714 in labor (the first mishap - that old plastic water pump which failed while I was far from home - I've done 95% of the work ever since!!). Clutch replacement has set me back about $1400, which is still comfortably shy of the $2600 I was quoted by an independent shop, but I don't want to imagine the damage the timing chain or HPFP might do to the pocket. Yeah, looking at the number of miles, my cost of ownership is relatively low (I have tools, and am not afraid to use them), but I'm coming up on a time where I will have neither time nor money to shell into the car. I've preemptively replaced the thermostat & coolant pipe, and almost all of the coolant hoses, as well as those seals inside the clutch area. If those hold for at least another 70,000 miles, I'll call it good. I'm tempted to trade the car, and I think one more major failure will be the final nail in the coffin for MINI and BMW overall for me.

Update: I traded my '08 Clubbie S for a 2017 Corolla SE on 3 January. That final "nail" came along because my MINI died in the driveway again, leaving my wife and daughter stranded nearby on a chilly night. Electrical issues with the thermostat/multiple engine wiring harness connectors caused the radiator fan to run unnecessarily, draining the battery. Wasn't cost-effective to repair. Within a week, I went shopping, and ended up with the Toyota. Nicer interior & ride. Spent 200+ hours in DIY repairs, and $5,263 in parts over 4 years, culminating in the whole clutch/flywheel assembly last July.

I'd had enough, MINI. Thank you for your service, dismissed.

Received my $500 back for the water pump settlement shortly thereafter, which was a nice finish.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:38 AM
Absolutjh22
2nd Gear
Having just "doubled down" on my Clubman S in the last year, I will have to keep it until the end of time. Original purchase price with 38,000 miles was $17,900.00 out the door. Since then I have spent another $16,xxx on basic maintenance, tuning, after-market parts, and a total rebuild on the original motor with a mere 79,880 miles on it. Fingers crossed that it will make it another 80,000 miles.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:42 AM
hamptup
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This thread pops up ever so often and years ago I posted in this thread proclaiming I plan on keeping it yada yada yada. WELL... after some miles and some mods I'm still back and forth with the decision to keep it.

Owners with different approaches to the reasoning of keeping it or dumping the pile of heap.
Model year, climate, driving styles, servicing are all factors. Coming from mostly domesticated muscle cars I wasn't interested in a Mini but the wife was. Once I got over the front wheel drive thing I liked it. I've owned a few vehicles and the majority have have been trouble free. Usually 40k is about the average miles I've place on all long term vehicle ownership. Overall I think the Mini brand is cool but it's truly a love hate brand.

When I look up the consumer report with a reliability as having a "C" rating I kinda knew this car could go either way. What drove the rating down was mostly the older generation Mini's.

The latest versions have improved but I find the newer models are bigger in size and IMO lost some of its appeal in both performance and agility. I think future Mini enthusiast will seek out the quality model years with the least inherent issues and keep it stock and regular maintenance or just keep the lemon, throw some proven mods on it and make lemonade juice.

I for one if I keep it I'll certainly will try to improve it's reliability and performance but sometimes certain vehicles aren't worth the trouble to keep long term. Mini's fall into the that category!

SirKronan (04-16-2018)
Old 02-04-2017, 12:49 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
My Clubman, starting fresh again.
My dash warning lights have been on almost steadily since last summer and now they are finally off! It started with clanking underneath diagnosed incorrectly as failed Koni shocks, but turned out to be the main ball joints. About $500 to replace. I returned the Konis for a refund.
Next my air intake unit failed somehow due to 'stripped threads'... I suspect my own dear indy garage on this one. I mean, how does something like that happen?!
Cost $450, but I bought the DDM cold air intake system instead for $250. It's loud and fun, but almost too loud on long fast hill climbs, so I'm missing my OEM part in general.

But right after installing the DDM, my engine light went on and we still don't know why, although after a 450 mile round trip to Detroit Tuned, it's all looking good now.

My main reason for driving to Detroit was that my Aisin auto tranny has been crunching and rattling since last fall. I had them do a complete flush and refill it with the real Mini fluid instead of the Toyota Type 4 I'd been using with my many partial drain and refills. Finally, my shifting seems normal again with just a tiny hint of crunch and rattle at low speeds (where one can hear everything.)

I put a similar post up under Stock Problems and Issues for 2nd Gen Minis, "Early signs of Aisin Transmission Failure?" and finished with my optimistic closure and gratitude to Detroit Tuned, a true resource for us near enough to benefit from their expertise. I'll post that same photo here too, since it's rich in Clubmans :-)

My Clubman sits at 96,300 miles now and looks and feels about like the day I bought it almost 9 years ago from Motor City MINI. I am optimistic again about driving off into the future now that my warning lights are out and the little 1.6 L is purring along.

Mine is the Hot Chocolate Clubman, parked here at (the new campus) Detroit tuned, February 2017.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:23 AM
TPATH
Neutral
Not sure anymore. Have a 2011 Hampton Edition Clubman (that I absoluetly love!) that has a failing turbo.....ouch!

Old 03-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
It was suppose to be! We paid of the loan a few years early and then this happens last weekend. Wife going to doctor mis judged her speed and tried to turn into a parking lot. Understeered over 2 curbs and over parking sign. Still waiting on the insurance numbers. I'm not sure what will happen. Seat belt pyro went off and it was leaking coolant. Wish us luck.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:49 PM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
So sorry to see that. Hoping the fixing price is coming through. Great Chocolate- Hot or Iced?

Old 03-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Squirrelly
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to keep cars "Forever":

1968 Volvo 122S: almost 200,000 miles
1970 Volvo 142S: 240,000+ miles
1974 Volvo 144GL: 200,000+ miles

Back in the day (1960s-80s) as my Volvos aged, I did a great deal of mechanical work in my garage & driveway myself - Something I don't see as reasonably possible any longer with they way autos are engineered & designed now. In more recent years, (1990s-to present) I've kept cars beyond the warranty periods a few times but the cost of repairs after warranty expiration (usually $700 and up each time) has nudged me to buy new more often. I'm currently in a different use cycle as I am retired and instead of the former 10K to 15K miles/year, my car only sees about 5K miles/year. My warranty runs out soon, but because if years, not mileage. Within a year, I'll likely trade in my Audi A4 and get a custom order Mini Clubman S ALL4. I like the smaller format, it's almost identical to the Audi A3 I had a few years ago. Who knows how long I'll drive it, maybe it will be a "Forever"!

Old 03-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Wildfield
1st Gear
Just purchased my (first mini) 2013 R55N in October 2016. Hoping to keep this one for a long time. Prefer the body style, size, etc. to the newer Clubmans. Will be a fun car for many years...as long as she holds up.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TorchMINI
So sorry to see that. Hoping the fixing price is coming through. Great Chocolate- Hot or Iced?
Hot Chocolate

Old 03-16-2017, 12:08 AM
StumptownDave
Neutral
I got lucky! Fell in love with my 2011 R55 during a warranty fix at Chevrolet. Had no knowledge of N14/N18 etc. We left my TBSS at the Chevy DLR and drove the Clubbie home. It's been a super reliable DD for 2 years now. The car was a lease return and had been broken it properly. NO oil consumption even if I go to 6/7000 miles between changes. (Lucky!) Hot Choc. 6 spd Aisin. Sport package, Cold climate, Checkered Mirror caps. Shorty Antennae. Loud horn! and Stainless Cat back with Borlas. Fixing to do a CAI and a mild flash. Not much for getting rid of cars, still have my 300HP 327 1965 Malibu, Bought used in 72 for a paltry $425. And I have way too much $$ in the TBSS (first love)

Old 03-16-2017, 08:24 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Nice car.
An aftermarket cold air intake doesn't add any horsepower, just noise, and may actually reduce horsepower. The stock air intake is a cold air intake and is well engineered.

SirKronan (08-07-2020)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
It was suppose to be! We paid of the loan a few years early and then this happens last weekend. Wife going to doctor mis judged her speed and tried to turn into a parking lot. Understeered over 2 curbs and over parking sign. Still waiting on the insurance numbers. I'm not sure what will happen. Seat belt pyro went off and it was leaking coolant. Wish us luck.

Just got the insurance quote. Nearly $8000 in damages. Suspension, intercooler, fuel tank, bumper...

Waiting on insurance company for the repair/buy decision. But best case scenario the car was worth $9500-$10,000. So looking at 80% of value to repair.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:50 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Well got the insurance check and after 2 weeks without a clubman in our life we found a 2017 w/ 5300 miles on the clock. Cooper S All4, Manual, Cold Weather, Premium, Tech Packages. Also has burgundy leather interior. Super slick. Honestly drives closer to a bmw 3 series wagon, but it is super nice. Loving it so far. See ya all in the F54 forum.

SirKronan (04-16-2018)
Old 04-07-2017, 04:43 PM
cargusjoh
4th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Sorry to see you go, but financially did not make sense to repair. Many miles of happy motoring in your new MINI!

Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 PM
DaveLChgo
1st Gear
Still keeping my Clubman.

After 2 months of ownership, I absolutely love it. But then while at a stop light. "Screeeeeeeech!!!" check rear view... See car behind me and his windows burst... Then the crunch as his car was pushed into mine. After a few seconds asked my 11 yo if he was Ok. Then after much cursing remembered my 11yo was sitting next to me. Super pissed about what occured but glad no one was hurt. Lady that hit the guy behind me was driving a pick up with 5 kids in the back bench seat of the cab. Cops didnt take to kindly to that. Still love my Clubman bruises and all.

And yes, thats his front plate stuck to my bumper just above the left exhaust.

Last edited by DaveLChgo; 04-09-2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 04-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DaveLChgo
After 2 months of ownership, I absolutely love it. But then while at a stop light. "Screeeeeeeech!!!" check rear view... See car behind me and his windows burst... Then the crunch as his car was pushed into mine. After a few seconds asked my 11 yo if he was Ok. Then after much cursing remembered my 11yo was sitting next to me. Super pissed about what occured but glad no one was hurt. Lady that hit the guy behind me was driving a pick up with 5 kids in the back bench seat of the cab. Cops didnt take to kindly to that. Still love my Clubman bruises and all.
Its been a rough month for the Hot Chocolate Clubmans! Hope yours is back on the road soon.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:10 AM
Big Jim Swade
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I hope I don't jinx myself, but still going strong with my 08 that I purchased new. Only 43k miles on it now. Uses no oil, on original HP fuel pump and water pump.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:01 PM
MINI -in-Black
2nd Gear
That Smile :)

Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
Well got the insurance check and after 2 weeks without a clubman in our life we found a 2017 w/ 5300 miles on the clock. Cooper S All4, Manual, Cold Weather, Premium, Tech Packages. Also has burgundy leather interior. Super slick. Honestly drives closer to a bmw 3 series wagon, but it is super nice. Loving it so far. See ya all in the F54 forum.

Sorry to see your old Clubman go, but your wife's smile is delightful.
Sounds like you've found a very nicely set-up replacement.
Congratulations and Happy Motoring!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:22 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The more mods I do the more I like my clubbie. It's keeping it fresh. Just added a water temp gauge to go with boost. Now gonna replaced gauge faces with OM black to match my pro sports and clean up gauges. I did the BBK a while back and added ducting from the front brake cooler ducts to Sneed rotor brackets. Those factory brake coolers just blow air into fenders, now mine are functional, even around town my rotors are about 20F cooler.

So since I hate 4 door family cars I am not downgrading to the new clubman. If I wanted all the gizmos I would buy a caddie. Not to mention the new clubman price is just way too much for a MINI.

SirKronan (08-07-2020)
Old 04-23-2017, 06:07 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Did my gauges this weekend. Bought as black on eBay but when I got them they appeared to be grey, which is color I wanted in the first place. Got them for $90 shipped.

Last edited by rckrzy1; 04-23-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Quick Reply: R55 Who is Keeping Their Clubman 'Forever'?