JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Pre-Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 12:14 PM
jYO
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pre-Purchase Questions

I'm a previous owner of a 2011 Coop S for a couple years and I'm eager to get back to a Mini when my current lease is up this fall.

I test drove a JCW which was probably a mistake because I fell in love with speed and power of the thing, but I was hoping to get some clarity from the community to see if it's really worth plunging the extra $ over an S.

1. Aside from the obvious, what are the real benefits of a JCW over an S in your opinions?

2. Does the JCW create more mechanical issues to deal with? More maintenance costs over the other models?

Old 06-01-2017, 02:46 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
yes, the snob appeal alone is worth the added JCW tax.
Buy the car by ORDERING online and be FIRM about what you demand.
When you take delivery add a JB and Sprintbooster (total $500 and 13 minutes labor)
Believe me you will enjoy this more than the S could even compare.
ISAMIN

Old 06-01-2017, 03:12 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 329 Likes on 310 Posts
What year are to talking about? This is important to formulate good answers for you.
If it is a factory JCW, it will have limited slip differential and that is a good thing. Also the suspension will be upgraded and power increased. If these things appeal to you, your choice for a JCW model is the way to go.
The brakes in the fron (gen 1) are larger than the "S", so that is also a plus.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:33 PM
jYO
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
What year are to talking about? This is important to formulate good answers for you.
If it is a factory JCW, it will have limited slip differential and that is a good thing. Also the suspension will be upgraded and power increased. If these things appeal to you, your choice for a JCW model is the way to go.
The brakes in the fron (gen 1) are larger than the "S", so that is also a plus.
Ideally I'm looking to do a 2018 model if the timing works out (waiting for CarPlay integration).

Old 06-01-2017, 04:34 PM
jYO
1st Gear
Originally Posted by isamin
yes, the snob appeal alone is worth the added JCW tax.
Buy the car by ORDERING online and be FIRM about what you demand.
When you take delivery add a JB and Sprintbooster (total $500 and 13 minutes labor)
Believe me you will enjoy this more than the S could even compare.
ISAMIN
Thanks. Forgive my Mini ignorance but:

1. What do you mean by FIRM about what demand? I would assume if I build/order this on the Mini website I get what I pay for?

2. What is a JB and Sprintbooster? The latter seems obvious, but just curious officially.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:00 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 329 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by jYO
Ideally I'm looking to do a 2018 model if the timing works out (waiting for CarPlay integration).
What can I say about the 2018? Nothing really, at this point, but this add tells the story and why you would want a JCW model:
http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...Fcdffgodfm4ESw

The JCW is a step up for the already cool car that they are. Is it worth the expense? I am not sure, but if I were in your position, I would want the JCW option! It is just so unique!

Old 06-01-2017, 06:16 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 310 Likes on 222 Posts
Go JCW if you can. The added power and bigger brakes are worth it IMHO and the JCW standard seats are included. I'd also consider the JCW Pro suspension, makes a huge difference when running on coilovers.

Good call on waiting for CarPlay.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
I would suggest you review posts in the Gen3 JCW section. You will get pros and cons on the Gen3 in this forum as most of us have the Gen1 JCW that is supercharged while the Gen3 is turbocharged. Then remember that you can get a Gen3 S with JCW "tune" but it is not a JCW.

Regardless NAM is the the place to talk MINI with diehard MINI people.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:02 PM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Also, I would head over to motoringfile.com and listen to the last few White Roof Radio podcasts. Two of the contributors have F56 JCWs and one has a F54 JCW so they have some good insights into what options sets are ideal. For example, with a FXX JCW you can get the JCW steering wheel OR for a no cost option select the MINI Yours Nappa leather steering wheel. Apparently, the MINI Yours wheel is the same shape as the JCW just covered in amazingly soft upgraded leather (I can confirm as I test drove a regular S with the Yours wheel).