R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 JCW Tuning Kit installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 AM
Clare Din
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Tuning Kit installed!

My factory warranty recently expired and I paid off my 2013 MINI, so I decided to finally get the JCW Tuning Kit. I ordered it and got it installed at MINI of Mt Laurel. They charged me for 5.6 hours of labor (WHAT?!! doesn't it take 3, I said. They said no.).

I like everything so far (the sound and speed difference), but one thing I noticed is the serial number, which begins with R58... Isn't that the MINI Coupe? I have a 2 door hatchback so shouldn't my tuning kit serial number start with an R56? Or does it not matter?

What should I buy next for my MINI? I was thinking the JCW Sport Suspension with front and rear springs is the next step.

I was going to buy the JCW carbon fiber bonnet scoop but Racing Dynamics has one for a lot less. Does anyone have any experience with the Racing Dynamics bonnet scoop? Does it look just like the JCW version?

Old 05-15-2017, 03:27 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Looks the same to me from their pictures. The only company I can think of that is different is M7 hood scoops, theirs are visibly larger.

Not sure about the serial number weirdness but since the engine tuning and parts are interchangeable it probably doesn't matter.

JCW suspension is a good choice but you may be able to find better aftermarket solutions for cheaper. Depends on what you're looking for in suspension enhancement. I like that the JCW springs are exactly matched to your car's specs but it's also more expensive being JCW. Maybe you could start with a stiffer rear sway bar. The possibilities are endless!

Old 05-17-2017, 08:55 AM
miniuy
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Pictures??

Old 05-18-2017, 10:09 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Din
My factory warranty recently expired and I paid off my 2013 MINI, so I decided to finally get the JCW Tuning Kit. I ordered it and got it installed at MINI of Mt Laurel. They charged me for 5.6 hours of labor (WHAT?!! doesn't it take 3, I said. They said no.).

I like everything so far (the sound and speed difference), but one thing I noticed is the serial number, which begins with R58... Isn't that the MINI Coupe? I have a 2 door hatchback so shouldn't my tuning kit serial number start with an R56? Or does it not matter?

What should I buy next for my MINI? I was thinking the JCW Sport Suspension with front and rear springs is the next step.

I was going to buy the JCW carbon fiber bonnet scoop but Racing Dynamics has one for a lot less. Does anyone have any experience with the Racing Dynamics bonnet scoop? Does it look just like the JCW version?
Congrats! I love my tuning kit. Really makes the car so much more fun than it already is. I got mine at Princeton Mini (same owners as Mt. Laurel) and they did a fantastic job.

The jcw suspension is nice, but if you're out of warranty there are better options for less cost. I added the JCW steering wheel since it's such a huge upgrade over stock and the strut brace. Rear sway bar is my next upgrade which is what I'd suggest for you as well.

Also, since my brakes were near the end of the line, I upgrade to better pads, ebc rotors and ECS stainless steel brake lines with ATE fluid. The braking setup is awesome and is a nice complement to the tuning kit. I did the work with a friend, so they helped me save on the labor and it only cost me parts. Shopping around selectively, I was able to do the whole brake job for about $340. Best bang for the buck I've experienced so far with the MINI.

Oh could also go all out and get a big brake kit for the front brakes or all 4 corners. I really like the power in the stock brakes for my needs. I also haven't done many cosmetic mods outside of the stubby antennae and a tow hook license plate relocation. I really haven't wanted to spend $$ unless it improved the drive.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:38 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Yes, pictures. Not too many people have that tuning kit. On the suspension its rare also and the springs are ordered to your options and vin. They lower about 10mm to what you are now. And a lot people like them as it firm but not harsh.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Clare Din
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miniuy
Pictures??
Here is my little car! I just added the JCW bonnet scoop today.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Nice, have you ever thought of the r58/r59 front lip on that bumper?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-2011-r56.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 06-12-2017, 05:50 PM
pizzaman09
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yes, pictures. Not too many people have that tuning kit. On the suspension its rare also and the springs are ordered to your options and vin. They lower about 10mm to what you are now. And a lot people like them as it firm but not harsh.
I have all of the JCW tuning options on my 2013 MCS. I do agree that the engine tuning kit is quite wonderful. I love the sound and the very aggressive turbo lag kick.

I am use to 15-20 year old car brakes so just about all new cars impress me. However the Mini JCW brakes are really wonderful. I have autocrossed on them quite a bit and enjoy that they don't fade like the stock ones I had on my e39 M5. They also look really cool.

The JCW suspension is definitely on the stiff side for my liking. I do have the rear seat delete and GP rear strut bar so it probably rides harder with the lack of weight in the rear. However the handling is incredible, the lack of body roll for such a tall car is super impressive.

The GP under trays and spoiler are fun, they supposedly reduce drag by 6% which is good for fuel economy. Other than looking cool, the only noticeable function they serve is protecting the bottom of the car.

I really appreciate the JCW seats and shifter. The steering wheel, though good looking is a bit thick. I get hand cramps which doesn't happen to me in cars with thinner wheels.

If you are interested in prices of individual JCW components from Mini, let me know. The previous owner of my car gave me an impressive itemized listed of all component costs.