General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creator C310 Scan Tool - R56 Airbag and Steering SZL

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:46 AM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Creator C310 Scan Tool - R56 Airbag and Steering SZL

Hi all,

A few of you might have noticed my threads where I am trying to fix my direction indicators that do not auto cancel on my R56 Cooper S 2007.

I was foolish enough to remove the air-bag while the battery was connected and since then I have an airbag warning light even though I replaced the airbag.

I took a chance and bought a Creator C310 scan tool. I just wanted to confirm that this device can reset the airbag error codes and it can also access the SZL info which I now see shows a steering angle of -1440 degrees.

I paid £35 on eBay for the C310 from a UK seller (where I am). There is now a C310+ version so I think sellers are moving the older version cheaply. I don't know what the differences are.

It seems like a very capable tool, which appears to access nearly all on-board systems for the R56, not just the injection ECU like my bluetooth OBD reader with Torque Pro.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:26 PM
ssashton
3rd Gear
Hello again!

I was looking at all the stuff this tool can show me and one menu option is 'misfire rate' which seems to be quite high for cylinder 1 and 2.

Can someone help explain what this number actually means?

I found the number on both dropped when I increased acceleration a little, which confuses me.

Now this might just be due to the fact I tried to start the car the other day with no spark plugs attached to flush out cleaning fluid while I was cleaning the inlet valves. But I would like to understand the reading anyway! I thought it should be a percentage or just a number that counts up from ignition.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:14 PM
ssashton
3rd Gear
A small follow up to this - I'm not sure at all what the tool is showing me with this reading!

The above reading is at idle. It is always at this figure once warmed up with cylinder 1 at 511 and cylinder 2 at 2800. When I put the engine under load this changes to 255 on cylinder 1 and about 4500 on cylinder 2. I think it's probably rubbish!

I checked the misfire data from Torque Pro and it is however interesting to note that I do get a very occasional misfire at idle when the engine is cold. Average over 10 drive cycles is 2 misfires always on cylinder 1 and only when cold. I'm going to start a thread about this.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:55 PM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
3rd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ssashton
A small follow up to this - I'm not sure at all what the tool is showing me with this reading!

The above reading is at idle. It is always at this figure once warmed up with cylinder 1 at 511 and cylinder 2 at 2800. When I put the engine under load this changes to 255 on cylinder 1 and about 4500 on cylinder 2. I think it's probably rubbish!

I checked the misfire data from Torque Pro and it is however interesting to note that I do get a very occasional misfire at idle when the engine is cold. Average over 10 drive cycles is 2 misfires always on cylinder 1 and only when cold. I'm going to start a thread about this.
While I don't have the Creator c310, I have some curiosity about it. I don't know, but the c310 looks an awful lot like the iCarSoft i910, which I have. My guess is that the guts of the c310 = i910, and the guts of the c310+ = i910-II. Looks like they simply slapped on some different branding in the right places. See for yourself by comparing youtube videos of each device. And if the c310 is the same as the i910, then I think your guess about rubbish readings is probably on target.

With my i910, I was getting transient pre-cat oxygen sensor readings that were 100 - 200 Volts! That's not just outside the normal 0 - 1 V O2 sensor signal, that's well beyond battery voltage. Not only that, but I was getting these readings whether the engine was running or not (i.e., ignition on but engine off). Eventually, updating the software to the latest version eliminated the spurious pre-cat O2 data. But even with the latest software, the post-cat O2 data seems to be spurious.

What version of software are you running on your c310? It looks like the latest version in the Creator branding is v7.0. I believe you can upgrade if it isn't current. Check out http://www.szcreator.com

Last edited by WhoHasGotTheBlueS; 08-05-2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: added link