Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio What did you use for switched accessory power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 08:59 PM
ioannes79
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What did you use for switched accessory power?

I need some input. I replaced my Boost head unit with a Pioneer touchscreen and have been trying to figure out what to tap into to use as the switched 12 volt for the red accessory power. I've tried several of the suggestions here, but to no avail. My head unit keeps losing memory after 20-30 minutes.

Looking at the wiring diagram for the Boost unit, pin 16 is listed as just that -violet with a blue stripe, I believe. However, on my factory harness there is nothing there.

I have a 2007 MCS with CA, if that helps.

So for those of you that have installed an aftermarket head unit, what did you do? In particular, those of you with the same year as mine. Perhaps I'm stubborn and will likely take it to a stereo shop soon, but I thought I'd try one last time to do this on my own. I'm just reluctant to pay someone to do something that should ultimately be obvious.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:30 AM
DSchmale
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you ran the line for constant power to a switched source. The yellow wire from your new headunit should go to constant power. If you're losing memory it means you don't have a constant power. Everything would still power up if you had the constant line run to a switched source, making you scratch your head.

Is there a violet/blue line on a different pin? Do you have a multimeter to check? I'm actually pulling a boost out of my car today and can take pictures. I think I tapped into a line on the IHKA last time I did this though.

Im running power straight from the battery for my constant and need to verify a switched source. You could run a fuse piggyback thing to make it easier.

This may help but it sounds like you're missing the V/B wire :-/
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/navigation-and-audio/214217-am-i-crazy-2007-mini-cooper-s-stereo-wiring.html

Old 06-25-2017, 10:03 AM
DSchmale
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found that I also do not have the violat/blue wire; nothin on pin 16. The radio must switch on from a CAN message.

Pin 1 of the IHKA (air conditioner controls) is a switched power. It means severing that large wire and T-ing in though.

Pin 1 is the solid red wire that my meter probe is stuck in right now (and it's clearly labeled). This is definitely what I used last time - it's just been years and I'd forgotten.

Last edited by DSchmale; 06-25-2017 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ioannes79 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 07:19 PM
ioannes79
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DSchmale, thanks! I found a switched in the fuse panel, but I do not have the yellow constant ran directly to the battery. That's wired to to power on the factory harness. I'll run a constant directly to the battery in the morning and see if that's my problem.

Also, I like where your switched is ran, but my IHKA only has a small black and small white harness. I have the digital climate controls. If that makes a difference.

Thanks This has been helpful!