Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Right side wobble/shake

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 03:53 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I changed the wheels around again today and went for a drive.. same thing once going over about 50-60mph its bad can barely feel when I throw into neutral above that 60mph but is still there.

dad thinks maybe a tranny problem but doesnt have any idea. nearest dealer is over 100mi away and doubt theyll tell me anything i dont already know.

I would say yes to the tierods and LCAB but I cant believe that would give the symptoms I am getting why would it be bad when load is on the wheels and then be near fine when not. that why I havent jumped into buying anything yet.

So stumped since it was not the axle...

Old 12-04-2017, 08:00 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
My guess is those outer ties rods or the inner boomerang shape ball joint.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
ok I will probably take the subframe off and fix up everything at once over winter break as I dont use the car this winter then hopefully we will be back to motoring again

Old 12-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear

well can add another thing to the list.. upper stut mounts are gone which means I probably could use some new struts.... I kind of want to wait on that though look at maybe getting JCW suspension or something

Old 02-28-2018, 07:52 PM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
I am getting ready to replace a ton of parts that hopefully will add up to the fix of this but I want to know if there is anypossibility that it could be the transmission or the clutch before i buy a ton of bushings and stuff.
again when i am in a higher gear going slower and give it a lot of throttle it shakes a lot no matter what speed and when going over 50mph it starts to shake and gets worse when going faster.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:52 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 390 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin Schlagel
I am getting ready to replace a ton of parts that hopefully will add up to the fix of this but I want to know if there is anypossibility that it could be the transmission or the clutch before i buy a ton of bushings and stuff.
again when i am in a higher gear going slower and give it a lot of throttle it shakes a lot no matter what speed and when going over 50mph it starts to shake and gets worse when going faster.
Analytically transmission has very low possibility to be implicated in speed related vibration. The reason is there is very little rotational mass inside the gearbox. While the clutch has high rotational mass (flywheel, pressure plate assembly, and less so the friction plate) the failure would tends to be catastrophic and a perceptive owner should notice it from other symptoms. It is possible if the flywheel or pressure plate has cracked (yes the latter has happened).

I will include the driveshafts (CV joints) being suspect without more competent diagnosis as possible cause in your situation.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Colin Schlagel
3rd Gear
Ok maybe I’ll try replacing the left cv axle as well I already replaced the right. And I might throw it back together and take it to a shop see what they think. Only problem with that is with the shape of some of the rubber components they might just assume that it’s the rubber parts then I replace it all and then nothing.
The car didn’t seem to drive any different and from bad clutch symptoms I have seen not having the same deal.

I dont want to put a ton more money into it I am thinking just try to fix it use it for a year then get a r53 that’s got around 50k miles from the south with the tailights not rusting out