Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Transmission Range Switch confusion....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Bianavatorr
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Range Switch confusion....

Hello to All from Arizona. 2007 MCS 120,000 miles Stock. 2nd owner. Just recently replaced valve cover due to leak and oil spillage. I do all the work on my mini- (saves my husband thousands.) I work alone because if I break something, I can only blame myself. I learn as I go.
Since I had already started to dismantle it (valve cover), I decided that I should just replace some parts that are known to go out and clean the carbon. I had a major oil leak so that was another thing to do.
I am waiting for parts as of today but so far I have replaced the thermostat, vacuum pump, and diverter. I have unplugged everything to clean contacts and such.
I am starting to piece everything back together and I am not exactly sure about the transmission range switch.
It won’t go in any further. I think it was like that before I unplugged it but I’m not sure. Please help. All advice and suggestions or comments welcome. You are my teacher.
Below are pics of my valves before and aftet. Yuck About 120,000 miles of carbon deposits....

What a difference!
Have yet to drive it after the ‘carbon removal’

Old 12-11-2017, 09:44 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
pull the connector back off and make sure there are no bent pins or any crud in the connector. Use some electrical contact cleaner if necessary. When plugging it back on, pull up the locking tab (or press down, or whatever you have to do to disengage it) to see if that will allow it to slide past the resistance point.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:40 AM
Bianavatorr
Neutral
Looky, what I found.....

Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
pull the connector back off and make sure there are no bent pins or any crud in the connector. Use some electrical contact cleaner if necessary. When plugging it back on, pull up the locking tab (or press down, or whatever you have to do to disengage it) to see if that will allow it to slide past the resistance point.
Well, it seems as though there is not 1 but 2 gaskets?? Do you see a hot pink and orange ‘gasket’? WTH?
I

Old 12-12-2017, 07:51 AM
Bianavatorr
Neutral
Someone help!!

Originally Posted by Bianavatorr
Well, it seems as though there is not 1 but 2 gaskets?? Do you see a hot pink and orange ‘gasket’? WTH?
I
Does anyone’s connector from the wiring harness to the transmission range sensor have a gasket?

Old 12-12-2017, 01:03 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Not surprising that there's some gaskets/seals in there. It is hard to tell from the photo but it looks like the gasket may have been pushed out of place and that's why the connector won't mate properly. See if you can get it into place using a toothpick or other small tool, and maybe apply a bit of non-petroleum based lubricant to the connector and gasket.

I am only guessing about the connector since I have a manual, not auto.