1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time MINI owner...It's kind of a long story

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
First time MINI owner...It's kind of a long story

Greetings from Houston.TX. First time MINI owner here.
Let me start by saying I actually signed up on the forum a while back when we first got the MINI but have been holding off on my first post. For several reasons. Let me explain.

Me and the wife had been kicking around a new car for the last several months and decided to make our move some time next year. The 2007 Jeep JK she had was getting a bit worn out and now she has a longer commute to work. But Harvey pushed our timeline up quite a bit when the Jeep got some rain damage. So after a bit of discussion we decided to go test drive a MINI. Neither of us had ever been in one but we were both curious. It may be the exact opposite of a Jeep in physique but in spirit they seem very similar. Unique with lot's of character.

We test drove a few 4-door hardtops and Countrymen, S and non S. We decided that we liked the Countrymen S the best and MINI of Clear Lake offered to let us take one home for the weekend. Score! The only Countrymen S they had ready was almost fully loaded. Score again! We took it for a few days and ran around town and fell in love with it. So we took it back to the dealer Monday evening and sat down to go over numbers and the such. Even though we loved the car and were pretty sure we wanted to go with a MINI, we couldn't commit just yet. First off, we were smack in the middle of refinancing the house. I would have to go talk to the bank and make sure that buying a car wouldn't set us back on the house refi. Second, while we liked all the bells and whistles that the car we test drove had, we didn't really NEED all that and didn't WANT to pay for it. So we told them we would go talk with our bank about the refinance while they looked around to see what was available at a price more to our liking.

So fast forward a few days later, after we talked to the bank and they ensured us all would be fine, we were back at the MINI dealer. Problem number one was mitigated so that left problem number 2. Well the dealer didn't have any other 2017 Countryman S that they could offer. There was another one in Houston that fit our bill but at a different dealer. So in order to get us to buy the one they had there they basically matched the price. Score again!

So this is where I would normally have ended the story and posted pictures and all that jazz. But unfortunately we had problems with the car from the get go.

We purchased the car on 10/14. But a few weeks later we noticed water dripping from under the console into the passenger side foot-well. Now, I've had this happen in a new Toyota a few years ago and it was a relatively easy fix. So while I was a little miffed I figured it would be no big deal. So I called the dealer and made an appointment to take the car in a get a loaner. We took the car in on 11/8 and they had it until 11/21. I was told that the problem was just a drain hose somewhere on the A/C. It was easily replaced but the carpet was on back order and that was what took so long. Ok fine. Again a little miffed but no big deal.

But on 12/2 the leak was back and in the same exact place. So, yeah... more than a little miffed this time. So back to the dealer we go. This time I didn't call ahead to make an appointment. I explained the situation to the service writer in a civil but somewhat agitated way. She apologized, took the car back and found us a loaner. I was out of there in about 7 minutes. I should have asked to speak to a manager but I didn't. I'm not really sure why. They called later to let us know that the evaporator box (or something like that) was cracked and needed to be replaced.

So my wife goes to pick up the car on 12/14 just as they were closing. It was cold out so the A/C stayed off. 2 days later as we are on our way to the Family Christmas party I noticed that the cabin was pretty hot despite the A/C being on. Turns out that the driver side was blowing nothing but hot air no matter what setting we put it on. The passenger side vents changed with the settings but the driver side didn't. So, again back to the dealer. This time I took a day off work to go talk with a manager and see about getting this sorted. By now we were both pretty frustrated and the "new car smell" was gone.

So yesterday we got to the dealer just after opening knowing that the manager would probably not be there yet. The plan was to be there waiting on him. After explaining the situation to the service writer, again, the shop foreman came over. He said that he would like go over the situation while we were waiting for the service manager to get there at 9. After we said our peace and talking with the tech he started off by apologizing. He said that plain and simple his team made a mistake, more than one. That they misdiagnosed the original leak. The hose was a know issue and they figured that was it. They failed to see the crack in the evaporator box and didn't do an in-depth check of the system. The crack was most likely a defect from the factory but he knew that made no difference to us. He said on the second repair that the tech again didn't perform a complete check after the reinstall of the dash console and some doohickey was not functioning correctly. If he would have gone through a complete QA check it would have been readily apparent and corrected. (I do not know if it was the same tech on both repair jobs) While he was explaining this they took the car back and corrected the issues. It took no time at all to fix. After that he went over the whole system with us in car. Check every mode and made sure that the system was functioning properly.

After another few minutes the service manager showed up and called us back to his office. He asked us to explain our side one more time. He said he knew we had already explained it twice already but that he wanted to hear it straight from us. He had actually showed up about 10 mins prior and talked with the shop foreman and the tech while we waited in the lobby. So he was pretty aware of the situation. After we went through our spiel, he apologized on behalf of the dealer and reiterated the foreman's words. Plain and simple the dealer messed up. Twice. No excuses. He asked us what he could do to help reinstate our faith in the dealer and in MINI. My wife said she just wanted her new car feeling back. It was, in fact her first ever brand new car. So the Manager said he would do 3 thing. Detail the car for us whenever we wanted. Extend our Maintenance package. And extend our Warranty. Then he said something that really surprised me. He said that he felt that the problem wasn't the car but if it was, the car would be replaced. Without cost to us. We shouldn't have to worry and pay for a car that did not work properly.

Now, before me and the wife went to the dealer this last time we discussed how we wanted to handle this. We both agreed that while we loved the car and wanted to keep it, we would ultimately push for a new car or even our money back if nothing was being done to fix the situation. I figured it would be seriously contested. I was not expecting to be told up front that the car would be replaced if the problem persisted, The Extended Warranty and Maintenance package was a pleasant surprise too. I was expecting free washing and detailing or something like that. All in all I think we came out ahead. Of course all that talk could be just that: TALK. But now I do feel more confidant that the dealer is behind us. I hope though that we won't have to test that theory anymore.

So I know that this has already been too long of an intro but we finally feel happy enough to talk about our MINI.
It's a 2017 Countryman S in Chili Red!
My wife loves the power lift gate and the power seats but I love the HUD and the navigation screen. We both love it's zippiness. Too bad it's her car and I only get to drive it every once in a while :p
I have always wanted to drive up the west coast and see the redwoods so hopefully we can make that trip next year. In the meantime we are tracking down all the fun little back roads Texas can offer. I have never had a car with so many bells and whistles much less a turbo charged engine, run-flats, n2 filled tires etc, etc. So I will have lots and lots of questions. I saw the other day that there is a surf board rack you can install. So it looks like I'm gonna have to learn to surf.

As for me, I like to read, watch movies, race motorcycles and rant on and on in forums.

Attached Thumbnails First time MINI owner...It's kind of a long story-20171007_191133.jpg   First time MINI owner...It's kind of a long story-20171029_110729.jpg   First time MINI owner...It's kind of a long story-20171029_110836.jpg   First time MINI owner...It's kind of a long story-20171029_110812.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
CTG8 (12-25-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:25 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Congratulations on the new MINI! That must have been quite a hassle but it sounds like the dealer did the right thing. Pleased to hear it. Hope you have many happy miles in the new MINI.

Usually we say "post some pics!" but you already did

Old 12-20-2017, 01:01 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Old 12-20-2017, 04:57 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
Congratulations on the new MINI! That must have been quite a hassle but it sounds like the dealer did the right thing. Pleased to hear it. Hope you have many happy miles in the new MINI.

Usually we say "post some pics!" but you already did
Thanks! Yeah it was a hassle. But I do feel better about it now.
And yeah, I belong to another forum for motorcycles and have already got the "This thread means nothing without pics" message.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:03 AM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
Welcome to he forum. Sounds like you have a stand-up dealer. Very nice looking CM.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:26 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Welcome to he forum. Sounds like you have a stand-up dealer. Very nice looking CM.
Thanks.
It's funny. I started off thinking the same about the dealer. Then, not so much. But now back to feeling the love. I know mistakes happen. I just hope there will be a bit more time between those mistakes from now on.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:29 AM
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Greetings from Austin!

The Hill Country is a nice day trip from Houston...perfect roads for MINIs and motorcycles.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:21 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

Not that I have any preferences, but the color of your car is not too bad.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:56 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to the NAM family!
I am sorry that the dealer let you down! but I am glad they made amends! I might have told them I want another new one!
It is a very nice Mini and hopefully the car is now all sorted out.
Picture you here:
With your new Mini

06 near big Redwood

The 06 at the coastal redwoods

Happy Motoring in your new MINI!

Old 12-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 1200K
Greetings from Austin!

The Hill Country is a nice day trip from Houston...perfect roads for MINIs and motorcycles.
Yes! I used to live in Killeen and would make the trek down on the bike to find some great roads! Hoping to get back that way soon in the MINI. We've talked about making the trip to Bandera, Fredericksburg, Twisted Sisters etc. Just gotta go do it now!
BTW... I LOVE AUSTIN!

Old 12-21-2017, 07:56 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Welcome, the red looks good.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-21-2017, 07:57 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Welcome to NAM.

Not that I have any preferences, but the color of your car is not too bad.
LOL right!?
Actually at first, we were not a big fan of the color. We wanted either the Island Blue or the British Green. But now we love it! Didn't take long to seriously grow on us.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi and welcome to the NAM family!
I am sorry that the dealer let you down! but I am glad they made amends! I might have told them I want another new one!
It is a very nice Mini and hopefully the car is now all sorted out.
Picture you here:
With your new Mini

Happy Motoring in your new MINI!
Yes, this! So MINI sent us a Welcome to the Family gift pack and the box can be used as a picture frame. Kinda cool. And something like this is exactly what I would like to put in it. I hope to go there soon.
Thanks.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:28 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Welcome, the red looks good.
Thanks! Whoa do I see Akrapovic on that ad?? I'm kind of a fan.

WayMotorWorks (12-22-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 01:36 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,023 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Congrats on the F60. Great Choice in color /options. Looks like you got a lot of the add-on JCW options but not the JCW price. Much better with the tinted window also. Well done.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-22-2017, 06:31 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Congrats on the F60. Great Choice in color /options. Looks like you got a lot of the add-on JCW options but not the JCW price. Much better with the tinted window also. Well done.
Thanks. It's just the external JCW cosmetic stuff. None of the really good stuff under the hood or in the suspension. Oh well :p

ECSTuning (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 10:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes, looks like you got all the outside stuff. Brakes and the JCW Tuning kit that will come out soon would be the next 2 steps.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-22-2017, 06:42 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Originally Posted by Garcia242
Thanks! Whoa do I see Akrapovic on that ad?? I'm kind of a fan.
Yes their stuff is by far top notch. But they only offer the downpipe and exhaust for the R56 S.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-22-2017, 10:27 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
People expect perfection and rarely does that happen, dealer went well beyond what anyone could expect in making you happy! Welcome!

Old 12-25-2017, 06:06 PM
peterpan101
3rd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad they were able to work it out! Hopefully rest of ownership is less stressful.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:38 AM
Flea77
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Welcome to the forum!

2) Sorry for your problems but it sounds like it worked out well.

3) Join the Houston MINI Motoring Society and tell them Allan & Buster sent you! See you at the next meeting!

4) You will LOVE taking your MINI on trips, for example:

Galveston, TX

Datona Beach, FL

Malibu, CA

Sequoia National Park, CA

Old 12-26-2017, 09:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Well-traveled!

Old 01-03-2018, 07:41 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Yes their stuff is by far top notch. But they only offer the downpipe and exhaust for the R56 S.
Yeah, I wonder if they will produce anything for the F60. That would be pretty awesome. Would totally catch my biker friends off guard. Here is some of their handy work that I've had over the years.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:42 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yes, looks like you got all the outside stuff. Brakes and the JCW Tuning kit that will come out soon would be the next 2 steps.
Man I'd love to. But this being primarily my wife's car that may have to wait until I got my very own. We'll see

Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Minnie.the.Moocher
People expect perfection and rarely does that happen, dealer went well beyond what anyone could expect in making you happy! Welcome!
I agree. So far we are happy with the car and the outcome. Hopefully that is the end of that particular problem.

Quick Reply: First time MINI owner...It's kind of a long story