Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Tail lamps randomly not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 03:34 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tail lamps randomly not working

Hi fellow MINIacs,

My 2004 MCS is suffering from a random tail lamp failure. All my bulbs are working when I check them, please bear that in mind, but I've been pulled over by another motorist on two separate occasions in the past few months, telling me that I have absolutely no tail lamps lit, whether turning, braking or just driving along.

When I have checked them, they're all working. So it seems that this is randomly occurring. I'm not sure if it happens after a period of time, and possibly because the bulbs are heating up to a point where something cuts off?

I'm using the MINI clear tail lamp housings, (shown with ignition turned off above), and to get rid of the dreaded "fried egg" look inside the lights, I changed to the silver mirror-coated bulbs (which are OEM parts, mind you).

I have had this set up going smoothly for probably 10 years now, until this recent problem.

Again, the bulbs all work when I check them out last night, but maybe it's the bulbs somehow? Maybe the mirror coating makes them hold heat longer, and somehow causes a "safety shutdown" or something? I'm obviously not an electrician, so looking for your expertise, guys.

They are NOT LED bulbs, by the way. They're OEM replacement bulbs:

The top and bottom bulbs:
http://new.minimania.com/part/NMA330...ilver-Oem-Gen1

The middle bulb: http://new.minimania.com/part/NMA330...Clear-Oem-Gen1

Let me know if you have seen this strange phenomenon at all before, and what I might do to remedy this situation.

Thanks, guys!

-Jonnieoh

Old 11-09-2017, 05:24 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Moving you to the Stock Problems/Issues area.

OK, Syracuse the "Salt City" so the question is whether the car has been driven during the winter, the type of weather when the roads are white not from snow but dried on salt.

I would check the wiring harness to see if any wires are broken inside. Would think a bare wire would cause a blown fuse. Could be a ground issue as well, would need to determine what ground point the light circuit is run to.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:34 AM
CSP
5th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
My money would be on a faulty wire. Not sure where the power splits, but I'd be looking up wiring harnesses and checking the power/ground before it splits to left/right lights.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
Could also be the BCU1 is on it's way out.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:58 PM
MVPeters
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Hi fellow MINIacs,

My 2004 MCS is suffering from a random tail lamp failure. All my bulbs are working when I check them, please bear that in mind, but I've been pulled over by another motorist on two separate occasions in the past few months, telling me that I have absolutely no tail lamps lit, whether turning, braking or just driving along.

When I have checked them, they're all working. So it seems that this is randomly occurring. I'm not sure if it happens after a period of time, and possibly because the bulbs are heating up to a point where something cuts off?

I'm using the MINI clear tail lamp housings, (shown with ignition turned off above), and to get rid of the dreaded "fried egg" look inside the lights, I changed to the silver mirror-coated bulbs (which are OEM parts, mind you).

I have had this set up going smoothly for probably 10 years now, until this recent problem.

Again, the bulbs all work when I check them out last night, but maybe it's the bulbs somehow? Maybe the mirror coating makes them hold heat longer, and somehow causes a "safety shutdown" or something? I'm obviously not an electrician, so looking for your expertise, guys.

They are NOT LED bulbs, by the way. They're OEM replacement bulbs:

The top and bottom bulbs:
http://new.minimania.com/part/NMA330...ilver-Oem-Gen1

The middle bulb: http://new.minimania.com/part/NMA330...Clear-Oem-Gen1

Let me know if you have seen this strange phenomenon at all before, and what I might do to remedy this situation.

Thanks, guys!

-Jonnieoh
If it truly affects ALL the rear lights, then I think you're looking for a single point of failure, since there are multiple circuits involved.
I'd suspect there's a multi-pin connector somewhere that is loose or corroded or perhaps heating up & losing connectivity. My Haynes manual doesn't show connectors.

Otherwise, it's the Lighting or Body Control Module $$$.

If it happens again, see if any of the front lights are affected.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:32 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 390 Likes on 357 Posts
Originally Posted by MVPeters
If it truly affects ALL the rear lights, then I think you're looking for a single point of failure, since there are multiple circuits involved.
I'd suspect there's a multi-pin connector somewhere that is loose or corroded or perhaps heating up & losing connectivity. My Haynes manual doesn't show connectors.

Otherwise, it's the Lighting or Body Control Module $$$.

If it happens again, see if any of the front lights are affected.
I concur the significance is to look for a single point of failure. As such it is unlikely at a connector which has many isolated contacts except the ground. Do check the ground point for the tail lights. I think it is behind the passenger side access door for the tail lights. More likely is the BCM damage from water intrusion if you have a rainroof.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:41 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Oh geez, you guys have some good suggestions, but you're worrying me if it's that expensive Body Control Module... I do have a "rainroof", as you so eloquently put it. And if memory serves, I've already replaced one of those <<gulp>>

I'll check the grounds first. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Old 01-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Syracuse one of the few areas where you can still get a good haircut. Shopping Town still have Mario and the gang?

Old 01-03-2018, 07:19 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
Received 242 Likes on 168 Posts
Since you've confined the lamps do work, I would be inclined to pull the plastic panels and employ the wiggle test. Turn the lights on and wiggle the harness little by little a few inches at a time until they cut out. Then investigate.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:51 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,873 Posts
I would check those connects in the trunk first. For both sides to not work is weird and could be a BCM issue https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rd-issues.html if it got wet. I have not seen anything weird with the oem clear taillights other then they can burn out one by one, and its a full panel replacement as they are soldered in.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ide-lamps.html

That's where I would start. I believe the wire hareness connects and goes up the right hand side of the car in behind the trim if I remember right.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-05-2018, 03:51 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Originally Posted by r53coop
Syracuse one of the few areas where you can still get a good haircut. Shopping Town still have Mario and the gang?
I'm located on the west side, in Camillus, actually. So I very rarely get over Shoppingtown way, (although I did an SCCA autocross in the back parking lot of that mall in my MINI once; great fun!).

Shoppingtown is a shell of its' former self. The Carousel Center Mall expanded about 8 years ago by A LOT; now called "Destiny USA", a terrible name for a mall. But it's making the other malls around the area die.

Take care!

-Jon