2nd Gen Countryman (F60) Talk (2016-2024) Second Generation Countryman discussion. F60

F60 Carplay finally!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Birbilis
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamestoogood
That would be good, but I think its a hardware update as well for the additional SIM.
European spec Minis have a 3G SIM preinstalled for emergency services. Maybe they could use that.
Otherwise it maybe be possible to retrofit the additional hardware as the headunit seems identical.
I hope somebody will investigate on the matter...

Old 04-21-2018, 11:29 PM
jamestoogood
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheJuice
$250 is expensive. eBay and other coders offer the same thing for $120.
I found 2 on UK eBay. 1 for $250 based in the USA with loads of details on what was on offer, and 1 for $120 based in Lithuania with a description of "message me".

Old 04-22-2018, 08:50 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jamestoogood
I found 2 on UK eBay. 1 for $250 based in the USA with loads of details on what was on offer, and 1 for $120 based in Lithuania with a description of "message me".
i sent the lithuanian a mail. Nothing back yet... Around €100 bucks i think is a fair price.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:54 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Just make sure they offer lifetime subscription...

bimmercarplay solution might seems overpriced but it does includes lifetime subscription.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:28 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I just bought from this guy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Apple-C...UAAOSwtvpa0GKT

Quick turnaround and seems to be the cheapest I've seen at $120. Had my .BIN file in about 15 minutes. The one thing I would advise though for people doing this though is that most of these services are made for BMWs and will add Screen Mirroring as well as CarPlay. Unfortunately, MINI headunits have never had Screen Mirroring and the coding does seem to add it, but when you highlight it, the text takes up the whole screen. If I have time, I'll post a picture of it. I'm not sure if Screen Mirroring actually works or not as it only works on certain Android devices and I have an iPhone.

If you use one of these services, you can request that they omit activating Screen Mirroring when sending you the .BIN file you'll use for coding. Even if it works, it looks too hacky on the screen for my tastes.

The following users liked this post:
awit (05-09-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 03:46 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero
I just bought from this guy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Apple-C...UAAOSwtvpa0GKT

Quick turnaround and seems to be the cheapest I've seen at $120. Had my .BIN file in about 15 minutes. The one thing I would advise though for people doing this though is that most of these services are made for BMWs and will add Screen Mirroring as well as CarPlay. Unfortunately, MINI headunits have never had Screen Mirroring and the coding does seem to add it, but when you highlight it, the text takes up the whole screen. If I have time, I'll post a picture of it. I'm not sure if Screen Mirroring actually works or not as it only works on certain Android devices and I have an iPhone.

If you use one of these services, you can request that they omit activating Screen Mirroring when sending you the .BIN file you'll use for coding. Even if it works, it looks too hacky on the screen for my tastes.
pictures please! He doesn’t advertise mini. How does that work?

Old 04-30-2018, 08:08 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Many thanks to jamestoogood for posting this. I purchased this on Friday from Bimmercarplay, did the update yesterday afternoon and all is good. Same instructions/experience as DarkMiniCooperS in post 14 - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4384290 - just the one .bin file.

After the update and then a half-hour off/locked for the headunit to reboot, I deleted/re-paired my iPhone, and saw some info about CarPlay in that pairing section, but still didn't have the icon on the home screen. After another reboot, there it was.

Attached Thumbnails Carplay finally!-mini_car_play_1.jpg  
jamestoogood (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 08:59 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Great!!

instructions are a bit misleading...

I had to reboot iDrive a few times before CarPlay would appears... unpair et pair again also helped detect CarPlay and link it.

GnFnRnBacon (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 09:24 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DarkMiniCooperS
Great!!

instructions are a bit misleading...

I had to reboot iDrive a few times before CarPlay would appears... unpair et pair again also helped detect CarPlay and link it.
Yeah, unsure if it was the extra car off-and-locked cycle or the phone re-connecting again that did it, but all was good.

And for anyone reading... there is NO indication on-screen or otherwise that you're updating when you plug the USB in, at least in my case (I had it the home screen.) I gave it two minutes, shrugged and figured it was good. Apparently it was.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:40 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
From what I found from other CarPlay retrofit:

1- insert usb key with iDrive on for 30 seconds
2- remove usb key
3- manually reboot iDrive (hold power for 20+seconds)
4- turn on iDrive, and wait for it to reboot automatically (usually within 2 minutes)
5- manually reboot iDrive
6- CarPlay should appear

Old 04-30-2018, 10:49 AM
jamestoogood
1st Gear
From what I found from other CarPlay retrofit:

1- insert usb key with iDrive on for 30 seconds
2- remove usb key
3- manually reboot iDrive (hold power for 20+seconds)
4- turn on iDrive, and wait for it to reboot automatically (usually within 2 minutes)
5- manually reboot iDrive
6- CarPlay should appear
I couldn't work out how to reboot the iDrive system. Holding the power button for 20 seconds like on the BMW system did not work.

There must be a way to do it without having to turn off/lock the car and wait for 20 minutes.

After a week of using CarPlay I am really impressed - it doesn't interact with the HUD though.

Now need to find a cost effective way to activate 8TH SLI - all the hardware is in place.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:40 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
What is 8TH SLI?🤔

Old 04-30-2018, 11:59 AM
jamestoogood
1st Gear
What is 8TH SLI?🤔
Speed limit info.

Old 05-05-2018, 09:33 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received 166 Likes on 123 Posts
So this only works if you have the Nav package with your MINI?

Old 05-09-2018, 11:09 AM
awit
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by siriuszero

Thank you for posting the screen mirroring stuff! I've just had the exact same issue on my F60 after putting the codes in and adding MINI Connected and CarPlay. I just got in touch with the guy that I bought the codes form and he's going to redo it and remove SM! The thing I didnt like is it looked so strange - almost like the head unit had been hacked not good if you go to sell the car or have some warranty issue with the entertainment system.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:18 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by awit
Thank you for posting the screen mirroring stuff! I've just had the exact same issue on my F60 after putting the codes in and adding MINI Connected and CarPlay. I just got in touch with the guy that I bought the codes form and he's going to redo it and remove SM! The thing I didnt like is it looked so strange - almost like the head unit had been hacked not good if you go to sell the car or have some warranty issue with the entertainment system.
Exactly!

Old 05-09-2018, 04:48 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
After a fews days with the $250 option, I am very happy with it... lifetime subscription and no bugs!

Old 05-17-2018, 07:47 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
After a fews days with the $250 option, I am very happy with it... lifetime subscription and no bugs!
Saw a note here before it disappeared that this is now $199. Not sure if temp or permanent, but I bought at $250 and no regrets. Bimmer CarPlay was quick to send the file, install was super-easy, and it works as it should.

Last edited by GnFnRnBacon; 05-17-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
I also went ahead and bought it.
For $120 it was doable on ebay.
Seems to work like a charm. But i have to say i hate mini/bmw for not acivating this for free or even paid afterwards! I emailed germany but they put it back to Netherlands and they said i have to cantact my dealer. Yeah no dealer knows this kind of activation if you ask me. They know less than me.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:32 PM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
By the way, why isn’t it full screen? What is that empty space on the right?
Secondly what is this wifi option?

Old 05-22-2018, 04:20 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
I got my CarPlay from the $250 guy (bimmercarplay.com). He only activates CarPlay. Maybe your guy enabled another option? I read somewhere that he also tried to enable video mirroring but it was buggy...

As for the aspect ratio of CarPlay, our large 8.8’’ screen has a very odd ultra widescreen ratio, which CarPlay does not support (google CarPlay supported resolution, I think it supports 2-3 different ones)

CarPlay on a BMW also shows this unused space...

Old 05-22-2018, 04:39 AM
jamestoogood
1st Gear
If you have got split screen active then this space will show what you have selected

in the right hand screen.
[

Old 05-22-2018, 04:50 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Yeah i activated splitscreen, but usually i find full screen nicer. Anyway i asked him, he also activated lifetime maps he said. I don't know if i will keep the car that long to find out, but then it is a very nice price.

I think this is in the package, but i don't know what most of them are to be honest.

EVO FSC Codes Application Number List
006F - Satellite Tuner (US market) 009C - BMW Apps
009E - iSpeech
009F - TTS
00A0 - Navigation System Professional ECE / US 00A1 - Navigation System Professional Asia 00E5 - ///M Laptimer
00F0 - ID4 Navigation Enabler
0143 – ID5/6 Apple CarPlay 016E – ID5/6 Speech NLU 016F – ID5/6 Speech TTS

Old 05-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Miniminic
3rd Gear
Her is a video of mine working. Scroll trough if you don’t want to hear me rambling haha

Ik heb zojuist een film geüpload naar YouTube!
Je kunt deze hier bekijken:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F25PnL8SdkE

Old 05-22-2018, 01:32 PM
MrToyMan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also purchased from eBay(Bimmer-Coding) for $120 but i applied a $15 coupon, so i paid $105.00. Coupon is MOTORS18, it might work for you or it may not. Seller also offer Lifetime Warranty for Apple CarPlay.

Steps i took.
1. I used a 16GB USB Drive or less, so you can format it to FAT32 (Not NTFS or ExFat). Copy the BIN file.
2. Started Mini, Inserted USB Drive, Started the Mini and scrolled to the USB Drive. Waited for a little more than 30 seconds.
3. Turned off engine, Pulled the USB Drive off and locked the car.
4. After 35 minutes, i turned engine on . Radio was on but it did turn-off by itself. Shutdown the engine and locked the car.
5. After 35 minutes or a little longer. I turned engine on but there was no CarPlay. Deleted my iPhone 7+ from Managed Devices Menu.
6. I added my iPhone 7+ again and during the linking procedure you will see Apple CarPlay.Just follow the procedure for linking your phone and CarPlay will be available.

Hope this help.

Quick Reply: F60 Carplay finally!