Has anyone had bad experiences with South Bay, Ca Mini service?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Nui
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone had bad experiences with South Bay, Ca Mini service?

I'm very curious. I don't want to say anything yet until it resolves. I'm wondering what others experience has been with them?

Old 09-30-2007, 11:30 AM
tomah
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
their service department? or just the service in general?

if its the customer service.. i give them a 10 of 10. i was not rushed in anyway, they answered all my questions and helped me all the way through the purchase. my MA Amanda even came in on her day off to get me in my mini. my other MA Chris was also great at helping me out when Amanda was unavailable.

2 BIG BIG thumbs up.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Nui
4th Gear
Service department

Old 09-30-2007, 09:46 PM
ma78
Coordinator :: Super Secret Orange County MINI Cooper Club
The sales dept wasted so much of my time one day. I don't think I'll go back.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:31 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I have had excellent service from them. I've always been pleased from the service I've received from them. They definently get "5's" from me!

Old 10-01-2007, 03:57 PM
maximusGeek
3rd Gear
I have been happy so far but I have only had service once for an iPod install. JCW pkg is next

Old 10-14-2007, 05:47 PM
spikedmike
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Nui
I'm very curious. I don't want to say anything yet until it resolves. I'm wondering what others experience has been with them?
So what was your problem?? Did you get it resolved??

Old 10-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Nui
4th Gear
Windows roll down, unlocks itself, sunrood pops. This started after the last rains. It was there 3 weeks and they couldn't fix it.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 PM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Nui
Windows roll down, unlocks itself, sunrood pops. This started after the last rains. It was there 3 weeks and they couldn't fix it.
Are you sure you weren't holding the button down on the remote?
From page 20 of the Owner's Manual:
Convenient Opening

Hold the <unlock button on remote> down. The power windows are opened and the glass sunroof is raised.

Last edited by SteelersFan; 10-16-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:42 PM
maximusGeek
3rd Gear
I had my JCW Installed at South Bay MINI and I had a bad experience. I got a screw in my run flat while my MINI was at the dealer. It was in a very obvious place so I am sure I and the tech that worked on my car would have noticed it. Bet he picked it up during the test drive. The screw was so big that I could see it from my office window, 20 yards away.

The service department said they would look into covering it for me but the mgr came back and said they would not. Said they would talk to a "Quality Mgr" but I have not heard back. Drove around for 4 days (did not deflate yet) until I finally got it fixed on my own.

I know I can't prove they did it, and they cant prove I did it but I feel like they should have at least offered me a discount on a new tire. I was there for a Premium upgrade on the car and the best they could offer is $350 for tier they would have to order (not including install).

UPDATE: Mgt from South Bay MINI contacted me and they were able to resolve my problem to my satisfaction.

Last edited by maximusGeek; 10-24-2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Update on my issue
Old 10-16-2007, 01:58 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They put on the wrong tire. The 07 run flats are a different model than previous years. Discount Tire can't get them in cali. But MINI service could, after ensuring I had all the right info, and ordered through BMW parts dept there. Dropped off, and they placed the previous year tire on. There is a huge difference in tread. I unfortunately didn't notice until a day or so later when I got my plates. They did replace it immediately to the correct one though.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Nui
4th Gear
SteelersFAN (good name Go Black N Gold)

Yes this does it all by itself. It first did it with the fobs in the house. Then when we drove somewhere it did it 20X by itself. I have witnesses and they were laughing so hard they wanted me to video tape it and put it on YouTube. I wasn't in the mood but I should've video'd it although my phone doesn't do video. We had to pull the window fuses to secure the car although it unlocked itself anyway so we were lucky no one just opened the doors that night. The night before it did it on the street while we were in the house. Windows down, doors unlocked, sunroof popped all night long. Really lucky it wasn't stolen or vandalized.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:25 PM
stealth
1st Gear
Similar experience here with some slimey English guy ...

Originally Posted by ma78
The sales dept wasted so much of my time one day. I don't think I'll go back.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM
SteelersFan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Nui
SteelersFAN (good name Go Black N Gold)

Yes this does it all by itself. It first did it with the fobs in the house. Then when we drove somewhere it did it 20X by itself. I have witnesses and they were laughing so hard they wanted me to video tape it and put it on YouTube. I wasn't in the mood but I should've video'd it although my phone doesn't do video. We had to pull the window fuses to secure the car although it unlocked itself anyway so we were lucky no one just opened the doors that night. The night before it did it on the street while we were in the house. Windows down, doors unlocked, sunroof popped all night long. Really lucky it wasn't stolen or vandalized.
Bummer man. Sounds like you have a ghost in the machine. What have they tried so far? Maybe a reflash is in order? Good luck.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Nui
4th Gear
I know what the problem is but they won't believe me because I'm not a Mini tech. I verified the sensor for this action is in the drivers door and I told them moisture must be getting to the sensor and causing a connection where there shouldn't be. I begged them to quit fooling around and replace the sensor.

They didn't and I guess Mini wouldn't let them.

When we got the car back after 3 weeks it, naturally, rained for the first time in three weeks that night. At 2AM my wife woke me up telling me to check the car. Fortunately a neighbor was gone and I moved the car from the street to their space in the garage. I noticed a lot of water on the drivers door sill. Much more than could have gotten on it with me getting in with an umbrella. I think much of it and wiped it dry. I checked the pass side and it was bone dry.

Next morning my wife opened the door and the sill was soaking wet again. The passenger sill all this time was completely dry. She dried it and went to work. At the end of the day she opened the door and it was completely wet again. She dried it and when she got home it was soaked again.

No rain during this time. Only the night before. We then went on a small trip and it was drizzling the whole time. When I opened the driver door the sill was wet. Passenger side completely dry and this is just with drizzle.

Conclusion? Water/moisture is getting into the door and affecting the sensor. Why they won't take the time to remove the door panel and inspect the area is beyond me. They just keep saying they can't duplicate the problem.

I've restored over two dozen cars in my time and am very active in a car club. I do troubleshooting for members all the time and wrote some tech articles. Yet, to these people or Mini I'm just some yahoo clueless customers who doesn't know about the complexities of a MINI.

Don't need to know. I know what creates electrical connections and what I observed. IMHO the techs are just too busy and lazy to really trouble shoot. No error on the computer? Then nothing is wrong. They stop short of any deductive reasoning.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by Nui; 10-16-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:11 AM
JammyCooper
1st Gear
I am having a real issue with Southbay right now. I brought my car to them two weeks ago ecuase it is making a terrible noise when the AC comes on, blows hot and cold and also bogs the engine down, waaaaay down. The told me it's the fan fuse, not to worry and set me with an appointment for November fifth. With the AC on the car is practically un-driveable, wet they say it's fine and there will be no problems. Last night that noise came back without the AC and the engine temp light came on...This is not right and I thing having to wait until the fifth is unreasonable !!!! They get my X5 in on the same day, every time.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:14 PM
maximusGeek
3rd Gear
UPDATE

Mgt from South Bay MINI contacted me and they were able to resolve my problem to my satisfaction.

My experience with South Bay MINI has been great so far and I would recommend them.

Originally Posted by maximusGeek
I had my JCW Installed at South Bay MINI and I had a bad experience. I got a screw in my run flat while my MINI was at the dealer. It was in a very obvious place so I am sure I and the tech that worked on my car would have noticed it. Bet he picked it up during the test drive. The screw was so big that I could see it from my office window, 20 yards away.

The service department said they would look into covering it for me but the mgr came back and said they would not. Said they would talk to a "Quality Mgr" but I have not heard back. Drove around for 4 days (did not deflate yet) until I finally got it fixed on my own.

I know I can't prove they did it, and they cant prove I did it but I feel like they should have at least offered me a discount on a new tire. I was there for a Premium upgrade on the car and the best they could offer is $350 for tier they would have to order (not including install).

Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 AM
roaduscarnivorous
5th Gear
i've been there only once for service and it was pretty decent. i had to wait a while but the service manager was quite nice, offered me soda and i got to play video games and watch a movie in the show room. what's funny was that all mini dealers look alike, w/ that edgy cool stylish colorful decoration. i had to step over to the bmw side to pay and whoa what a difference, it looked a bit like an airport lounge. it was like the bmw side was the rich sheeshee house and the mini side was the play house

i've been there many other times for the freebies =P like the r56 party, etc. the free stuff is great and i got to chat w/ a guy who drives a gp