List Of Dealers/Markups In CA FYI

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 10:44 AM
jonnaro
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am another a NorCal guy who has recently ordered from South Bay MINI. This list would have helped, as I actually called every dealership in CA myself looking for a way to not have to pay the markup. At South Bay, my MA was Freddie, who was super friendly and the whole experience was very pleasurable. After making the deposit, the receipt was in the mail the next day. I got a November production date for delivery late Dec/early January -- so a bit of a wait, but no markup - gotta love that!

Old 08-17-2005, 08:11 AM
ranchopam
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JordanJanine
I went down to alexander mini to order my new MCS 2006 and saw three new colors, Solar REd, which is really sexy, Navy GREY and a Blue one anyway the mark up was 2,000.00. What I was looking to order was 29 grand out the door with taxes and everything. I have an MC right now 05 that I love, I'm just missing that 53 extra horsepower :( I was going to leave a check for a deposit but I'm torn, between a bigger montly payment....... My sales guy Jarod is really lovely... cute to boot, but I just couldn't do it.... I don't know what to do. The new red is darker and metallic and it comes with a light silver roof.. HOT sh....
I was there yesterday and I couldn't do it either...I'm ordering from South Bay now.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:23 PM
JordanJanine
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ranchopam
I was there yesterday and I couldn't do it either...I'm ordering from South Bay now.
Will you let me know how it goes for you there? JJ

Old 08-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Krassanova
4th Gear
South Bay MINI

I didn't buy my MINI from South Bay, but I just got my MCS serviced there...they were really great. If I was ever standing around for more than a minute looking lost (which I often do) someone would ask if I needed any help. This was a HUGE change from places like Bob Smith, Universal or Assael MINI.

Really cool people at this dealership. BTW, if you ever need any service done, I highly recommend dealing with Frank Perri. he's the service manager, and is a really cool guy. I'd definitely give them my business if I was buying another MINI.

Old 08-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Carcaridon
Neutral
Just FYI. Crevier is charging $2995.00 above MSRP on base models. I've been looking for one for my GF and it's tough right now to find something good.

Heath

Old 08-31-2005, 06:41 PM
asaulo1
5th Gear
I have been told that South Bay does not charge over MSRP.... so does Long Beach Mini as well but I heard that the waiting list is quite long....

Old 08-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Carcaridon
Neutral
Originally Posted by asaulo1
I have been told that South Bay does not charge over MSRP.... so does Long Beach Mini as well but I heard that the waiting list is quite long....
Long Beach has no more 2005's left. Stock is bare. They're taking orders for 06, but as you say, there's a bit of a list.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Carcaridon
Neutral
Originally Posted by asaulo1
Looks like we might be heading to Crevier on Saturday to try and talk them down. Wish us luck.

Gosh, when I purchased my car it was so easy. Mini needs a fleet dept.

Old 09-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Carcaridon
Neutral
Looks like Crevier is charging 6k markup on Cooper S's for 06. Trying to haggle with a preorder. We shall see.

Old 09-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Carcaridon
Neutral
Just got off the phone with Crevier. Ordering an 06 MCS costs $2495.00 above MSRP.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:34 PM
effusant
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've dealt directly with multiple members of the sales staff at Crevier and South Bay and would not recommend buying from either. No matter where you go, you'll be waitlisted. The quotas are simply full for factory builds. I don't think Crevier will offer you better than a $1500 markup on an '06 MCS. At least, that is what their offer was to me. I got into touch with them through carsdirect.com. I offered less, and even mentioned that I knew of two local dealers offering MSRP pricing (which I found here after entering negotiations with them), and the internet salesman's reply to me was essentially "take a walk." I was giving them an honest chance at a sale, too, since they had built quite a bit of good will through the many test drives I've taken around the santa ana auto mall. But the 6 grand markup they quoted in person and the arrogant attitude by their internet salesman completely eroded their chances at getting any of my money.

I next went to long beach. They must have been busy since they pretty much ignored me. I went to south bay and a BMW guy helped me for a while (almost sold me on a 325i, except that it was too small inside for me to drive) and after about 20-30 minutes, I talked to a salesman who knew less about the option and colors available than I did. Very unprofessional, IMO, but at least they were treating me like a person. A few days later, I went in to place an order. The mini sid eof the lot was deserted and it was another 10 minute wait to talk to anyone. Finally, a BMW guy came over and took my order, pending approval by their finance department despite my telling him that I would finance through a third party, and I got a call two days later that I would need a cosignor due to my short employment history. Long story short, I've asked for a refund on my deposit since it was my understanding that a car was being ordered (I learned from the LB dealer that a build takes about 10 weeks and a 4 month build quote includes a 6 week waiting list). They complied, but I still have not seen the money. I was smart enough to ask for a written weceipt of my request along with a 'reverse charge by' date, which was today, and now I am still waiting for my money, hoping that I do not have to take time off to sue them. But to their credit, the sales manager and general manager with whom I've spoken have been quite erceptive to requests and are in a very obvious CYA mode right now.

So I ended up ordering at Long Beach. I gave them a second shot after the screw up called me from South Bay. The saleswoman there was very polite and pleasant (actually, if she were a little taller, I would probably have asked for her personal number. She was cute), and most of all, more forthcoming about the process of ordering, building, and recieving and a car from them. They charge MSRP and require no deposit on build requests. She told me they woul have a build number in about a month and a half, and that I should call every 3-4 weeks to check on the status of the order, and to expect a 2 1/2 month wait from the issuance of production number to delivery of the car. And I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

As long as the order pans out, they will have my full endorsement. Crevier and South Bay can burn for all I care. Well, South Bay will have to stick around long enough for me to get my thousand dollars back, but after that... I wash my hands.

[edit: update: the South Bay people came through with the payment. I think it just took until the next business day to show the transfer of funds. So I have serious doubts about the quality and competency of their sales staff, or at least 2 of the three salesmen with whom I interacted (actually, the first one was really cool. almost sold me on a 325, but I didn't fit well enough to drive it). But their management is very reasonable and willing to put things right when they mess up. Anyway, I just figured I should add this note. If you're comfortable with putting a deposit on a car that won't be ordered for 6-10 weeks and with no written record of the standing of your deal (other than a credit receipt sayign that you gave them a grand), then by all means, shop South Bay. They held true to their word that the 'deopsit' is fully refundable.]

Old 09-13-2005, 10:35 PM
effusant
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and I would like to wholeheartedly thank those responsible for gathering the information in this thread. You have been an invaluable asset in my hunt for a reputable Mini dealer (which, unfortunately, seems to be quite a rarity.)

Old 10-18-2005, 06:41 PM
mini552
4th Gear
So. Bay Mini

I want to chime in on the great people at So. Bay Mini. I have dealt with both MA Freddie and Mgr. Jennifer. Put down my deposit and got written receipt that all was refundable. Purchased exactly what I wanted for MSRP with no markup. They put up with my changine my mind about color, equipment, etc. - had several test drives. Never anything but pleasant and professional. I'm looking at taking delivery of my '06 PW Cooper in late Dec. or early Jan. Cannot understand why anyone would pay the premiums some of the other dealerships are charging.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:21 PM
tekt
Neutral
I shopped at 6 dealers in So Cal. Long Beach and South Bay were the only MSRP dealers.
Long Beach has a wait list of 6 months to a year. South Bay has a wait of 4 months, so I ordered there.
To be fair, Long Beach did contact me several times when they had cars that were close to what I wanted, but the options I wanted mandated that I order a car no matter which dealer I decided to buy from.
After 4 months (nearly to the day), my car came just as I ordered.
Some of the other Mini dealers told me that MSRP dealers would charge excessive fee's for dealer prep, docs, etc, but that was not the case at all.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:48 PM
victoriabb
1st Gear
FYI:

Mini of Universal City has changed their pricing structure, the mark up is $1000 over MSRP for '06. The lead time for ordered cars is 2-3 months.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:00 AM
btle98
Neutral
hi ALL !! this is my FIRST posting on this forum..

i just picked up my 06 MCS JCW Chili Red w/ Wht Top... i'd ordered mine through an AutoBroker, OneSource. i got mine for MSRP + Tax/Surcharge. no mark-ups. the broker's name is Shawn. 818-554-0085, just tell him James refered u & he'll take care of you.

BTW; OneSource ordered mine fm Universal Mini (they usually charge about $2000 over MSRP) but going through the broker saved me the foot work and got me the car @ a reasonable price..

Old 12-22-2005, 06:13 AM
findude
4th Gear
This is a supply and demand problem. There is an interesting write up of this phenomenon at www.fordgtprices.com.

The MINI situation is different than the Ford GT because it is a limited production car and demand has not been large enough for dealers to get away with adding a "market adjustment" (what the "premium" is called on the East Coast).

With MINI, demand continues to exceed supply in some markets. Any car is worth whatever a willing seller and a willing buyer agree it is worth.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:18 PM
jsound
2nd Gear
I got my '06 JCW MINI Cooper S (Chili Red / Black) at MSRP from Dana Eastman at Crevier MINI. Can you believe it? Took a grueling long four months, however, in the end it was worth it!

Old 12-31-2005, 07:58 PM
fuzzydice
Neutral
Mini Cooper S Convertible - Extended Warranties - SoCal Mini Dealers

Does anyone know the extended warranty prices for the 2006 Mini Cooper S Convertibles?

What are the prices paid for extended warranties for Mini Coopers at SoCal Mini Dealerships?

Any deals found? Discounts?

Fuzzydice

Old 01-03-2006, 01:06 PM
mnxmini
1st Gear
RE: List Of Dealers/Markups In CA FYI

Thanks for posting this Kidd. Just to update your very thoughtful list, I called all the dealers below in mid-December, 2005 and can confirm that South Bay, Long Beach and East Bay are still the only CA dealerships who do not charge a mark-up above MSRP (possible exception for Nick Alexander).

I can't confirm the specific amount of the other dealerships' mark-up. I was also unable to speak with anyone at Nick Alexander/Los Angeles Mini.

As expected, the trade-off for no mark-up is a longer wait time than the other dealers who do charge a mark-up. Of the 3, South Bay has the shortest estimated wait (4-5 months) followed by Long Beach (5-6 months) and East Bay (6-7 months). Also worth noting that South Bay and East Bay require a refundable deposit, but Long Beach does not. I placed my order with South Bay and have been generally satisfied with their customer service thus far.

Also should note that in my brief phone interactions with Concord Mini, I found them to be unresponsive. In addition, Concord initally told CarsDirect they were willing to sell a Mini at MSRP but then backed out later.

At first, I wished I had seen this list before making all the phone calls to the dealers, would have saved me some time. But I'm glad I was able to confirm Kidd's findings.

Originally Posted by CapWKidd
Universal $4,000.00
Irvine $1,500.00
Crevier $1,500.00
Long Beach $0
Assael MINI Monrovia $2,000.00
Southbay $0
Bob Smith $3,000.00
Brecht MINI - San Diego $1,800.00
Niello MINI - Sacramento $2,495.00
MOUNTAIN VIEW MINI $2,500.00
EAST BAY MINI $0
SAN FRANCISCO MINI $2,500.00
MINI OF CONCORD $2,700.00

Only Nick Alexander MINI would not say over the phone what their
markup was. 3 of the dealers do not even have a markup.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:02 PM
mini-g.
3rd Gear
Return customer@ Irvine

Well-
I called up Irvine and requested a deal for return customers. My first reply came from the guy who sold me my original MC. No way, then , let me ask my manager and finally NO!
But then I got an e-mail from another guy, he must have gotten my name from the MINIUSA site. He replied.... return customer? no problemo! I have a prod.# and I will keep you all posted during the long wait.
Gayle/MINI G

Old 01-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Methman
3rd Gear
Irvine gave me a great price and service so far. Crevier was a rip-off and after I didn't buy from them, I started receiving sales messages on my cell phone from the Santa Ana area! I do NOT recommend Crevier.

Nice post by the way!

Old 01-30-2006, 11:53 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
well, im looking at a Cooper S Convertible. I did a customise of $32k + $3k for tax and Bob Smith said $3k markup....no thanks.

Im looking around now so im going to be calling South Bay and Long Beach tomorrow to check with them for their waiting period. I dont mind a longer wait because I still need to sell my cooper

Old 01-31-2006, 06:03 AM
SandiePepper
6th Gear
East Bay MINI

Just to let you know East Bay no mark up but quite a wait, they have my $1,000.00 but won't even order the car unitl May, I'm hoping it will be sooner, but so far they have been great. and I did get a receipt that said refundable. this is worse than having a baby

Old 01-31-2006, 03:03 PM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
I just called South Bay. No Markups. Order will be in by April too

Quick Reply: List Of Dealers/Markups In CA FYI