List Of Dealers/Markups In CA FYI

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 PM
MinnieMama
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered my MCS from Brecht MINI in Escondido on 6/21 for MSRP. When my MA called the following week with my prod # he told me I got my order in just in time because they were tacking on an extra 10% starting July1.

Approx. delivery date 8/26 - FINALLY.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:13 PM
mjoppru
Neutral
I went to Crevier in Santa Ana today. They want $4K over sticker plus $4k in tack on junk (low jack, etc). What a racket! I'll stay on the sidelines.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:06 PM
schmoopy
2nd Gear
After skimming through this thread I will say :: What the heck is going over there on the west coast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(from a new MCSs owner in nyc)

Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 AM
rasputinj
4th Gear
After emailing and/or visiting just about all of the greater LA/Orange County Mini dealers looking for a Clubman S this is what I found

South Bay Mini MSRP call Amanda
Bob Smith 5K over invoice will go down to 4K
Universal City Mini 4-5K + LoJack, Nitrogen in Tires
Downtown Mini 4-5K + LoJack
Crevier 4-5K + Lojack
Monrovia 3K willing to negociate
Long Beach 3-4K

Bob Smith did not seem to be open to negociating other than maybe 1k down not many cars on lot. Universal did not like the racket of having to get Lojack and Nitrogen in the tires not many cars on lot. Downtown Mini did not like the attitude of Sales Person in emails and insisted on Lojack , Crevier did not like them either. Long Beach/Monrovia good interactions via email

South Bay Mini -- Amanda: emailed her, she called me back, setup appointment, had car ready to test drive when I came for the appointment. Very knowledgeable answered all of many questions. So I ordered a Clubman S there, I will not be able to get our Mini until 2009, but that is OK, it gives me time to look for wheels, sell my other car.

Dealing with South Bay Mini and Amanda will make up for having to wait longer for the 2009 Mini Clubman S.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:29 PM
MinnieMama
4th Gear
Brecht MINI also insists on Lo-Jack and Permaplate for $1700. I didn't want to drive another 100 miles to another dealer and they hadn't tacked on an additional 10% at that time so ... I caved. What good is Lo-Jack in San Diego County - they can be across the border in 1/2 an hour. Anyway, someone else told me they threatened to walk out and Brecht caved so I guess I should have stood my ground.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:25 PM
alanmg
Neutral
Just took delivery from Brecht!!

Looks like we got lucky! Timing is everything. Ventured into Brecht in San Diego on 8/17, and found all in stock cars marked up at least $4k including Lo-Jack, Permaplate and extended maintenance contract. As none were in stock with Steptronic, and sunroof, our sales consultant Julia Aquino, located an '08 CooperS red/black "unclaimed" and coming in on the next shipment. I let him know up front that I never buy the "dealer packs" and I always start my negotiations from the Federal window sticker price. Bottom line, the sales manager agreed to sell us the car for sticker: $26,900 with the only requirement that we purchase the all weather mats for $95. Surprise! Our car arrived in San Diego yesterday, and we took delivery last night Just 5 days from placing our deposit! The whole purchase and delivery process was a pleasure from the beginning. Julio Aquino was professional and knowledgeable, and there was no pressure upon us in finance dept to purchase any add-ons. We couldn't be happier with our new Mini!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:38 AM
schmoopy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by alanmg
Looks like we got lucky! Timing is everything. Ventured into Brecht in San Diego on 8/17, and found all in stock cars marked up at least $4k including Lo-Jack, Permaplate and extended maintenance contract. As none were in stock with Steptronic, and sunroof, our sales consultant Julia Aquino, located an '08 CooperS red/black "unclaimed" and coming in on the next shipment. I let him know up front that I never buy the "dealer packs" and I always start my negotiations from the Federal window sticker price. Bottom line, the sales manager agreed to sell us the car for sticker: $26,900 with the only requirement that we purchase the all weather mats for $95. Surprise! Our car arrived in San Diego yesterday, and we took delivery last night Just 5 days from placing our deposit! The whole purchase and delivery process was a pleasure from the beginning. Julio Aquino was professional and knowledgeable, and there was no pressure upon us in finance dept to purchase any add-ons. We couldn't be happier with our new Mini!
I'm really starting to get angry at what I'm reading about what these dealers are doing.
It seems likemit might even be illegal. I've been reading so many posts about these dealer add-ons that by using their pressure tactics (and knowledge of the MINI buyer's position of "I really want it no matter what I have to do to get it"). This would never fly here in NY, or even anywhere I can think of on the East Coast.

I know many people will reply with "it's just supply and demand", and "they're not forcing you to buy the car", but it's really unethical in my opinion to give the impression to car buyers that "this is what you have to add if youi want the car" Again..... another

Old 08-24-2008, 06:55 AM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by alanmg
That is great to hear maybe things are slowly changing in Cali or just great timing. We have an 09 ordered from Mini of LV to get it a few months faster then South Bay Mini. I found they also sell at MSRP. So in November we will be making a trip to pickup our new baby.

I have a hard enough time paying MSRP, much less junk add ons and Market Adjustment fees.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:45 PM
MinnieMama
4th Gear
Received Minnie on Friday from Brecht MINI of Escondido. Originally ordered June 21 at MSRP (except they do 'require' lo-jack and permaplate). I paid by personal check and credit card - I had to sign the MINI financing contract just in case my check bounced, took about an extra 5 minutes.

As car buying experiences go, it was the best I've had. The finance lady didn't exactly pressure me to get anything extra but she did give me a couple of 'are you crazy?' looks but we just moved on to the next 'item'. As for the Lo-Jack, I really didn't want it being so close to the border ... I ended up getting the EW (early warning) add-on which does make a lot more useful if it works as advertised. In fact, I'm kind of glad I got it now.

My MA was great and the car ... well, all I can say is she was well worth the wait and more!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:54 AM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Ordered mine from South Bay Mini in S. California in early September 2008. Got it at $500 under MSRP + floor mats + wheel locks. No dealer add-ons. Found them very easy to work with.

Not sure if I get a loaner car if I take it into Irvine Mini for maintenance (which is closer)...but even if not, definitely worth the savings and Irvine Mini was at least $1K over MSRP if not more (I repressed that memory)...

Last edited by jimatvs; 10-16-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 AM
andrewshogun
2nd Gear
wow, good job. MSRP is the best I can find in the bay area... and I went all over.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:54 PM
ladybugpoop
Neutral
Hi,
I've been lurking on these boards for awhile and I just wanted to throw this out there if it hasn't already been brought up.

For anyone buying in the San Diego area, you probably already know that Brecht is the only Mini dealer in SD. They only give loaner cars to you if you bought your mini from them. If you didn't buy your mini from them, you are SOL =( I bought my mini in LA and when my mini pooped out on me on the freeway, Brecht had my mini for over a WEEK and they wouldn't give me a loaner and they don't provide rentals. I would have to pay for the rental! Even Toyota and Nissan provide rentals/loaners free of charge when you have a warrenty issues!

All I have to say is that Brecht, being the only mini dealer in SD makes for poor customer service and I am in disbelief that BMW/Mini USA allows this. If you live in SD, this is just something to consider when purchasing your mini.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 AM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ladybugpoop
Hi,
I've been lurking on these boards for awhile and I just wanted to throw this out there if it hasn't already been brought up.

For anyone buying in the San Diego area, you probably already know that Brecht is the only Mini dealer in SD. They only give loaner cars to you if you bought your mini from them. If you didn't buy your mini from them, you are SOL =( I bought my mini in LA and when my mini pooped out on me on the freeway, Brecht had my mini for over a WEEK and they wouldn't give me a loaner and they don't provide rentals. I would have to pay for the rental! Even Toyota and Nissan provide rentals/loaners free of charge when you have a warrenty issues!

All I have to say is that Brecht, being the only mini dealer in SD makes for poor customer service and I am in disbelief that BMW/Mini USA allows this. If you live in SD, this is just something to consider when purchasing your mini.
That's unfortunate! I was told by a salesman at Irvine Mini in S. Cal that a free loaner was the policy of Mini at ALL Mini dealers regardless of where you bought it (and that this was different than how BMW Dealers, which are not obligated to provide free rentals). I guess this isn't the case...

Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 PM
ocpop
Neutral
Has anyone bought or ordered from Irvine Mini? I've called them a couple of times and have gone in to test drive once and they really seemed like they could care less. The Orange County Mini dealers are all at MSRP, so no price difference anymore. They are the closest dealership to me but I am inclined to order from people who gives a s__t, as others have been more helpful and attentive.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:13 AM
jimatvs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ocpop
Has anyone bought or ordered from Irvine Mini? I've called them a couple of times and have gone in to test drive once and they really seemed like they could care less. The Orange County Mini dealers are all at MSRP, so no price difference anymore. They are the closest dealership to me but I am inclined to order from people who gives a s__t, as others have been more helpful and attentive.
I also had the same experience with Irvine Mini. You should check out South Bay Mini in Torrance, which is where I ordered mine from. Did it all over the phone at below MSRP with a fantastic lease rate. If you go/call, ask for Philippe Kahn. He was great to work with!

Happy shopping!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:30 PM
bford100
1st Gear
Just ordered my JCW hardtop from Crevier Mini from Dana. Got MSRP and none of the add on junk, very happy with the deal and the service, should get it late Dec.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 PM
ocpop
Neutral
How quickly the markups have fallen. I wonder if Crevier actually sold any for 5K over MSRP. I will probably order from Southbay, as they held the line on price through the craziness. We should reward good dealerships when we can.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 PM
bford100
1st Gear
My fear is that when I get delivery in Dec, that they will be selling below MSRP due to harsh economic conditions. In the event that happens, they will have to give me the same deal or I'll walk over to the Audi dealer next door and buy a 2.0TT for way less than MSRP!

Old 11-13-2008, 01:07 AM
Mini_Joe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ocpop
Hey OC Pop...

We picked up our new Mini from Irvine back in August.. and were in and out in 45 minutes flat!!!

Escondido was asking 4k markup for "extended service" plus perma-plate, lojack, etc etc. We walked... went home, found a Mini at Irvine that fit our wants...

Called Hue the next morning, confirmed all the options, prices, dealer installed accessories (only one was a windscreen! YAY) and headed up a few hours later.

I know he was fairly new and had recently transferred over from Newport Beach Range Rover... so that might have been one of the reasons everything was so smooth?

We got out at MSRP plus the windscreen... and that was that!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
I got an Email from MINI of Monrovia announcing they are now an MSRP dealer. This may be the start of lower prices... They used to have markups on the window..What do you think, if on the fence, do you wait or buy now?

Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 PM
ocpop
Neutral
I think most southern cal dealers are at msrp now. That means some will start to deal to be competitive soon enough. I was at Irvine Mini over the weekend, and they had tons of new cars on the lot. I didn't push it because I was mainly there to check out colors and interiors, but they are holding the line at msrp for now.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:57 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Can not hurt to ask for a specific price below MSRP, give them a price and if they want or need your business bad enough they will take it. I would also check out South Bay Mini someone posted they were able to get one below MSRP. Try to work the dealerships against each other to get the best price.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:32 AM
pigcity
Neutral
To get a deal, you may want to pay MSRP for the factory car/accessories and ask for free dealer accessories. This allows them to hold the line on "MSRP".

Old 08-25-2009, 05:02 PM
esotericlife
1st Gear
Anyone have any luck going through the costco program? Typically you only pay a couple hundred above invoice prices.

See here:

http://www.costcoauto.com/

Old 11-15-2009, 06:29 PM
TouchlessCover
1st Gear
Good experience w/ Irvine MINI

I have a Clubman JCW on order from Irvine MINI. I suggest working with Jerod. Easy transaction at a fair price.

Quick Reply: List Of Dealers/Markups In CA FYI